RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
xavarus said:
Every time I think I like something better than All I Need, I hear that last minute where the piano gets louder and everything builds and I realize that music just doesn't get much better than this.

After 36 hours and double-digit listens, I might have to go out on a limb and declare this the best album in several years.

Wow, I sound like one of those hyperbole people.

Their worship of anything Radiohead-related is amusing to me.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a Sky Blue Sky and dock the album for being too immediate. :rolleyes:

Dalton said:
Radiohead has wet dreams thinking about writing a song as perfect as Impossible Germany.

:eyebrow:

Not even a good Wilco song, imo. And you know I love Wilco almost as much as Radiohead. I don't get people's love of this song but I don't care what people like as long as they get that Wilco are a great band. However, Impossible Germany seems quite mediocre next to just about any Radiohead song.

It's hardly worth arguing over but I just had to express my amazement at such a statement. :wink:

Yet more positive press:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/hfvr/

So, big sighs of relief all round. In Rainbows is the sound of a band who effortlessly straddle the avant garde/popular divide, and also sound like they actually enjoy being themselves again. They’re back at the top of their game. Now go back and pay some more, all you 50 pence donators. This is a band that needs all the support we can give them.

They screwed up the lyrics to All I Need though, they said the line was "I'm an atom bomb trapped in your hot car". :p

Last edited:
Giving it a 3rd listen now...first was on headphones last night, next 2 here at work......I have to say, I really like it. A lot.

I think it's gorgeous.

Dalton said:
Radiohead has wet dreams thinking about writing a song as perfect as Impossible Germany.

Impossible Germany is great (prob my favorite on the album), but nothing I couldn't hear several variations of by the Grateful Dead, My Morning Jacket, etc. If you think those guitars are special, Stephen Malkmus can play that stuff in his sleep, and doesn't need to have someone accompany him.

I don't think you'll be hearing anything like the majority of the stuff on In Rainbows anytime soon.

:eek: Wow, I had no idea they can sound this warm, and pretty. Good to see the guitars come back.

i'm actually surprised there aren't more guitars, to be honest.

if i never heard how great videotape sounded last year, then i'd be really happy with it now.

however... auch.

they really nailed all the songs. all of them... except this. i don't know what to say.

by the way... it seems as if there's as much commotion on this board as a u2 release.

No spoken words said:
I don't know anyone that actually takes Pitchfork seriously, and, I know a lot of people that love music.

I don't take Pitchfork very seriously, and neither do the other people I know that read it regularly. But they DO have some good writers that know their stuff, and can make some great observations. They've also turned me on to a lot of great music. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah owes practically their entire careers to the word of mouth Pitchfork helped spread. I don't know that The Arcade Fire would be as big as they are now either without them. And those are only 2 examples. They champion a lot of great bands that deserve more attention.

When they savage something that deserves it, it's pretty fun to read. Even when they take potshots at easy targets like U2, they can be occasionally funny (and to be fair, their 6.9 rating of HTDAAB is a lot higher than I think anyone would have expected). If they're pompous and biased at time, it kind of goes with the territory, and I just love reading music journalism.

Zoomerang96 said:
by the way... it seems as if there's as much commotion on this board as a u2 release.

And rightfully so. B&C was Radiohead Discussion back in the day. :wink:

yes.

and that was because of my non-stop musings about them. every post was radiohead-related. i was obsessed.

still am, i guess, just... not as dumb about it. i hope.

Zoomerang96 said:

they really nailed all the songs. all of them... except this. i don't know what to say.

Having never heard the other version (though I'd like to now), I couldn't relate to everyone being upset about it. But I did realize that on the first few listens it was the one song that made no impression. Finally last night I made myself zero in on Videotape and I do think it's the weakest song on the record. Even without having heard the other version, it feels like something's missing, that it should be better. That said, it's grown on me and I actually like the drums that everyone's complaining about--I find them quite compelling, actually--and the weird timing at the end. It's weird enough that it works for me.

LemonMelon said:
Yet more positive press:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/hfvr/

They screwed up the lyrics to All I Need though, they said the line was "I'm an atom bomb trapped in your hot car". :p

This is my favourite line from that:

Already they've made you feel guilty for not donating more money for your download…

I had the exact same thought! :lol:

Studio Videotape is no worse than the later live versions with no build-up. At least the sound quality is better.

I took the live version from Toronto that Xavi was kind enough to share, and edited it to remove most of the crowd noise. It fades in at the beginning and out at the end, which I think fits the song better anyway.

There's a couple big whistles that I was unfortunately unable to get rid of, but you work with what you have. I haven't tried listening to the whole album yet with this substituted for the new version, but I'll give it a try.

For anyone who's interested:

http://www.s endsp ace.com/file/j2pvk8

lazarus said:
I took the live version from Toronto that Xavi was kind enough to share, and edited it to remove most of the crowd noise. It fades in at the beginning and out at the end, which I think fits the song better anyway.

There's a couple big whistles that I was unfortunately unable to get rid of, but you work with what you have. I haven't tried listening to the whole album yet with this substituted for the new version, but I'll give it a try.

Perhaps the Basement Tapes version would work better?

lazarus said:

Ehh...it sounds like Coldplay. The song is still chained up. Not too crazy about Jonny's guitar either.

I prefer the Basement Tapes version to any other version of the song, to be quite honest.

It seems to promise a climax, but never delivers (quite like the Kid A version of Morning Bell). But what it does have is a haunting restrained humminh vocal from Thom during the outro, that feels like it should explode at any second, but never does. I fucking love it.

The album version is like that, only it has absolutely nothing interesting going on. Therefore it sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom