RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AtomicBono said:

I think that works well for the live version, but for the studio version it sounds better with more space, more stripped down. I love how fucking bare it is and the way elements are added as the song goes along before the big pay-off at the end...reminds me of another band I know... :wink:

let down is like that :drool:

but of course let down>> all I need :wink:

This album needs some single releases.

It's arguably Radiohead's most accessible album, catchy enough, and with enough hooks and sweet melodies to warrant these tunes some good play on commercial radio.

It could elevate R-Head into the same greatness as The Beatles, U2, The Rollin' Stones if some of these songs were allowed to hit number one on the mainstream charts. They need a smash hit to follow up Creep. They've been getting the publicity in the past month, now they need to back it up by letting some of these tunes hit number one on the national mainstream charts (which they do have the potential to do).

1. All I Need
2. Wierd Fishes
3. Reckoner
4. House Of Cards

Last edited:
xaviMF22 said:

let down is like that :drool:

but of course let down>> all I need :wink:

at the moment All I Need is probably my favourite Radiohead song. I know that's absurd because it's only been out a week, but to me the song is utterly perfect, and to me it produces a feeling very similar to WOWY.

Let Down is stunning though. Probably not my favourite on OK Computer (Climbing Up the Walls :drool: ), but Let Down is up there. Beautiful and sad.

intedomine - yeah it'd be damn nice to actually hear Radiohead on the radio. It is in their name after all :wink: I dunno about your choice of singles though...the only one of those that would have a chance at #1 probably is All I Need...maybe Reckoner, but with the way it's sung I dunno. Weird Fishes is too...well, weird, and House of Cards is too boring/laid-back. Bodysnatchers is an obvious choice for a single. I wish Radiohead would do an iPod ad :drool:

I must say that I'm impressed that this album is literally exactly what I wanted from Radiohead. I wanted some change in direction, a shift a bit away from the electronica and more toward the sound of OK Computer which imo did a perfect job of integrating their original rock sound with some electronic elements and more complex songwriitng. Also I did want them to rock out a bit, but really the reason I listen to Radiohead isn't to rock out. It's more for the songs I can lose myself in. So...on this album they did everything I wanted :wink:

I just love the approach of Radiohead in the sense that the songs are made to be quite simply, bloody good songs. There's no experimentation. They've done enough of that. It;s like a coming together of all their favourite approaches to songwriting in the past 10 years, with the focus on melody and the sheer brilliance of the songs.

arpeggi sounds neutered though. the guitars are too subtle in the climax... during the live renditions, what made the song for me was the tension built by jonny and ed.

oh well. that's nigel for you. at least he got all i need right.

So, I happened upon pisspoormedia.com's review of Wilco's Sky Blue Sky last night in which they rate it very low and call it 'dad rock' because the band recorded the songs in a manner that is more straight forward compared to their previous efforts.

Then they fall over one another (metaphorically - we all know that they haven't been in the presence of real human beings in several years) to slobber the knob (again metaphor - see above) of In Rainbows.

WTF - Its ok to be biased, but lets at least try to hide it.

Dalton said:
So, I happened upon pisspoormedia.com's review of Wilco's Sky Blue Sky last night in which they rate it very low and call it 'dad rock' because the band recorded the songs in a manner that is more straight forward compared to their previous efforts.

Then they fall over one another (metaphorically - we all know that they haven't been in the presence of real human beings in several years) to slobber the knob (again metaphor - see above) of In Rainbows.

WTF - Its ok to be biased, but lets at least try to hide it.

everyone and their mother loves Rh

you should too bitch :p

wilco is yesterdays news :wink:

Dalton said:
I'm a HUGE radiohead fan. I am NOT a fan of the HUGE writers of pisspoormedia.com

Wilco wrote and recorded the best album of 2007.

In Rainbows >> Sky boring Sky :wink:

impossible germany though :drool:

but then again Nude :drool: :drool:

Dalton said:
Perhaps it needs more sun? Or more weed?

Both help.

Give it time though. Once it connects, it's extraordinary. I'm obsessed.

And xavidrool, who said anything about Neon Bible?

1. Boxer
2. The Stage Names
3. The Shepherd's Dog
4. Sky Blue Sky
5. In Rainbows

It's science.

In Rainbows Vs. Sky Blue Sky

15 Step < Either Way
Bodysnatchers > You Are My Face
Nude < Impossible Germany (thought it pains me to choose)
Weird Fishes < Blue Sky Blue
All I Need > Side with the seeds (though it pains me to choose)
Faust ARP < Please Be Patient With Me
Reckoner < Hate it here
House of Cards = Walkin (I simply refuse to choose)
jigsaw < What Light
Videotape > On and On and On

SBS = 6
IR = 3
Tie = 1

There. Now its scientific and conclusive

Upon further review, I also prefer Icky Thump, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, and Spirit If... to In Rainbows.

We'll give it time though, time for the science to make more science.

jag110ag3.jpg

And I also prefer Sound of Silver.

In Rainbows Vs. Sky Blue Sky

15 Step < Either Way
Bodysnatchers < You Are My Face
Nude < Impossible Germany (thought it pains me to choose)
Weird Fishes < Blue Sky Blue
All I Need > Side with the seeds
Faust ARP < Please Be Patient With Me
Reckoner > Hate it here
House of Cards > Walkin
jigsaw < What Light
Videotape < On and On and On

SBS = 7
IR = 3

But SBS also has Leave Me (Like You Found Me) which kicks ass. But then again, it also has Shake it Off, which blows. So I guess that cancel each other out. :)

There is nothing on In Rainbows that rivals the 1:28 to 1:58 sequence of "You Are My Face."

Dalton said:

IMP - was that hand knitted?

I don't know. It's a normal paper album cover to me.

Download it, bitch.

inmyplace13 said:
There is nothing on In Rainbows that rivals the 1:28 to 1:58 sequence of "You Are My Face."

That's very true, or even SBS's title track. :drool: Possibly my favorite Wilco song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom