RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #331
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:48 PM
Good morning.

Yep, the tunes are all still running through my head too.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #332
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:48 PM
After listening to it a couple of more times, I love it. Some beautiful songs in there. I never was a fan of Nude in all those live versions, but the studio version is stunning. Thom's vocals are among his best work ever. I still believe that parts of it suffer from overproduction. Videotape is still a huge disappointment. The potential that this song had... It makes me sad.

Listen to the amazing live version of Videotape:

Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #333
The Fly

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Very simple:

1) Yes, Radiohead did this on purpose. The knew they were going to release a CD too. The higher the bitrate of the download, the fewer CDs would probably be sold.

2) The people who donated didn't know the bitrate at the time of donation. But if they were clever, or bothered thinking, they would have realized that they knew that too; that the bit rate hadn't been disclosed. Why would Radiohead hide the bit rate, unless it wasnt very impressive?

3) Morale: Nothing is 100% free in this world.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #334
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fanatic4ever

"I paid zero, nothing, nada for the album," one fan wrote on an epic Stereogum thread about the album. "Sounds like Radiohead. But 160 kbps, that's not good enough. They are actually forcing us to buy the CD when it comes out."
[/B]
So this fan wanted to download it for free but have the highest quality so they wouldn't have to ever pay for higher quality?

Sounds like the manager misspoke and in doing so misrepresented Radiohead. I don't doubt Radiohead's integrity. It's an experiment and now its flaws are exposed. Big freaking deal.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:56 AM   #335
The Fly

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

It's an experiment and now its flaws are exposed. Big freaking deal.
I think it's a fair viewpoint that the bitrate should have been disclosed at the time of donation. While the quality of the music is subjective, the quality of the encoding isn't. It's an objective measure.

I didn't donate anything for the exact same reason. I had no chance of knowing whether this would be released in 4 kbps or 320 kbps.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #336
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:48 PM
I can see this argument from both sides but logically given the amount of traffic expected on the site and the amount of free file sharing that I'm sure was anticipated after it was released, I'm actually surprised they didn't release it as 128...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #337
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:48 PM
apparently these are the cover shots... per green plastic..

front

back
Old 10-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #338
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Copy

I think it's a fair viewpoint that the bitrate should have been disclosed at the time of donation. While the quality of the music is subjective, the quality of the encoding isn't. It's an objective measure.
Fair enough. I'm using my iPod so I'm stuck with 128, and I look forward to blasting the CD release from my car and home stereo.

But it's hard for me to believe that there was any kind of deliberate deception on Radiohead's part. Nor do I want to have them on some morally incorruptible pedastal either. So, I don't know...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #339
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Radiohead have gone up 2 millions plays in 2 days on last.fm Radiohead own last.fm
Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #340
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fanatic4ever
Radiohead Fans Feel Duped By In Rainbows' Poor Sound Quality, Possible Ulterior Motives
Woah iz m3.

Quote:
The sentiment among many fans
Approximately 14...

Quote:
it was a call to arms
I'm not entirely sure if the average Radiohead fan could fire off a gun without being killed by the recoil.

Quote:
(though still not nearing the quality of a compact disc)
Duhhhhhhhhhh.....

Quote:
To be fair, however, the band did give potential customers the power of choosing how much they wanted to pay to download the album.
But logic is boring, so the article continues...

Quote:
"Most promo MP3s come at a higher bit rate," wrote the author of U.K. blog Kids Pushing Kids. "Worst pound and pence I've ever spent."
I hope a homeless man steals his high-end stereo.

Quote:
No one seemed to understand why Radiohead decided to release Rainbows at 160 kpbs, though guitarist Jonny Greenwood told Rolling Stone, "We talked about it and we just wanted to make it a bit better than iTunes, which it is, so that's kind of good enough, really. It's never going to be CD-quality, because that's what a CD does."
Oh, Jonny. Why couldn't you have made it just 32 kpbs larger? Then I wouldn't have had to read this garbage.

Quote:
That explanation didn't fly with some fans, who began speculating that the decision was made to keep the album off P2P sites or as a subtle way of making fans purchase either the discbox or the physical release of the album next year. The thought behind this theory was that if Radiohead fans were willing to split hairs over something as seemingly inconsequential as kilobits per second, then surely they wouldn't mind shelling out cash for the actual CD version of Rainbows.
Fair point, if the entire foundation of their argument (seen above) wasn't so pathetic.

Quote:
"If we didn't believe that when people hear the music they will want to buy the CD, then we wouldn't do what we are doing," Edge said.
Yep, that's how it tends to work.

Quote:
To many, those comments sounded strangely, well, capitalistic
Communistic would have gone over far better.

Quote:
Is this entire backlash really just glorified nitpicking
Yes.

Quote:
or do members of Radiohead Nation have a legitimate reason to think they were duped?
Not really.

Quote:
Furthermore, had the band announced the sound quality before people paid for the record — and if its managers had made the download sound like nothing more than a glorified demo a few days earlier
WTF?

Quote:
"I paid zero, nothing, nada for the album,"
............and?

Quote:
They are actually forcing us to buy the CD when it comes out.
Wah wah wee wah.

Quote:
"Do not buy the record then. Was that not the point? Don't go around complaining like they did you a disservice by making an album available," another countered. "As if you wouldn't have downloaded the leak. Would you complain if you got the album for free and actually listened to the music instead of focusing on 160 kbps? Maybe you'd actually remember what music appreciation was and be forced to buy the album based on that notion instead."
Once again...DUHHHHHHHHHH.

Quote:
what are your thoughts on this...?
It made me want to kick them all in the balls, but theirs were already long gone.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #341
Blue Crack Addict

I hate that cover art. Is that really what they are going to use?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #342
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
I hate that cover art. Is that really what they are going to use?
I hope not. It looks awful.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #343
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Guys this is the artwork

Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #344
The Male

If the front cover still looks like garbage, such nice photos won't really make me feel better.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #345
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, that does look a lot better.