RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would normally agree with Brau, as I am a bit loose with the "good-natured razzing", but I'm afraid he does go another step further than most others.

It also doesn't help that he's a repeat offender.

Maybe it sounds bad that you have to "neuter" your posts, Brau, but I figured it would be common sense to lay low for a while if you want to avoid being banned again. :shrug:

LemonMacPhisto said:

You're right about it being okay that it's by the same band who made Pyramid Song, I just don't care for that song very much, or most of Pablo Honey for that matter. It's a mediocre debut album uncharacteristically upped by a masterclass-level sophomore album.

What they did and tried to do on Pablo Honey, I think they did 100000x better on The Bends and surpassed.

Well put.

And that song title is just inexcusable, frankly.

I do think that Lurgee contains the DNA of what made The Bends so great though. I hadn't heard the song before seeing them play it live on the OK Computer tour (jealous anyone?) and it blew me away.

LemonMacPhisto said:

What they did and tried to do on Pablo Honey, I think they did 100000x better on The Bends and surpassed.

This is true. But I also don't think Pablo Honey sucks. You is one of my favourite Radiohead songs :up: Blow Out is a great closer, there's Creep of course, I like Thinking About You ... really the whole album is good, but not exceptional. I think that's the main problem. The songs don't suck; they're just (for the most part) forgettable. I remember liking songs on the second half but I can't even recall what they sound like.

AtomicBono said:

This is true. But I also don't think Pablo Honey sucks. You is one of my favourite Radiohead songs :up: Blow Out is a great closer, there's Creep of course, I like Thinking About You ... really the whole album is good, but not exceptional. I think that's the main problem. The songs don't suck; they're just (for the most part) forgettable. I remember liking songs on the second half but I can't even recall what they sound like.

:yes: Yes, I agree 100%. I suppose anything less than exceptional would be unacceptable from the same band that made OK Computer and Kid A. :shrug:

LemonMelon said:

:yes: Yes, I agree 100%. I suppose anything less than exceptional would be unacceptable from the same band that made OK Computer and Kid A. :shrug:

Right, but you still gotta give them a pass on their first album. :up:

LemonMelon said:

That's kind of how I feel. You look at U2, and while Boy isn't close to their best album, you can chart their steady progression and improvement from album to album. Or R.E.M., who came out of the gate with a phenomenal album that some people don't feel they ever topped.

Pablo Honey, by comparison, sounds extremely immature and just pales so much in comparison to the very next album. And continuing to play Creep live in some kind of defiance against the Alterna-Radio frat boy popularity of the song doesn't make it good.

lazarus said:

And continuing to play Creep live in some kind of defiance against the Alterna-Radio frat boy popularity of the song doesn't make it good.

I haven't seen any setlists recently...do they still play Creep on a regular basis? I would be interested to see how the crowd reacts to it during the upcoming tour. Plus, I like the song.

:doesn't wish to see internet strangers doing the full monty:

:is uncomfortable:

:wishes everyone would go back to talking about Radiohead:

:wink:

The backing vocals in Arpeggi are otherwordly. Bravo, Ed.

It's fast becoming my favorite song on the album. Look out, 15 Step.

Oh, and I've finally fallen in love with Jigsaw.

Last edited:
Have listened to the album a lot now, I think yesterday was the only day I didn't, because I came home late and would have fallen asleep immediately. It's great, great, great, I still cannot make up my mind about my favourite tune on it, but I'd say it's 15 step, because I loved it the moment I heard it first. Jigsaw and Nude are also favourites. At the moment, I'm quite in love with this album.

My friend who became addicted to In Rainbows on a road trip last week says he's ready to sue Radiohead for making music that takes over his life. Listening to it together for the first time yesterday (I believe we went thru it beginning to end about 5 times) we decided that the crescendo beginning with the piano bit--you know the part--in All I Need is one of the greatest things ever recorded (despite my constant complaints that it's too short). He also famously and hilariously mishears lyrics and since he didn't have lyrics on his trip, he returned with quite a few special lyrics of his own, my favorite being "went fishing" instead of "weird fishes."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CnCWAncnwE

Semi-acoustic You.

......:drool:
78550-rumba-ice-bucket.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom