RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The underlying message of highly angry people, Dr. Deffenbacher says, is "things oughta go my way!" Angry people tend to feel that they are morally right, that any blocking or changing of their plans is an unbearable indignity and that they should NOT have to suffer this way. Maybe other people do, but not them!

When you feel that urge, he suggests, picture yourself as a god or goddess, a supreme ruler, who owns the streets and stores and office space, striding alone and having your way in all situations while others defer to you. The more detail you can get into your imaginary scenes, the more chances you have to realize that maybe you are being unreasonable; you'll also realize how unimportant the things you're angry about really are. There are two cautions in using humor. First, don't try to just "laugh off" your problems; rather, use humor to help yourself face them more constructively. Second, don't give in to harsh, sarcastic humor; that's just another form of unhealthy anger expression.

Dalton said:
The underlying message of highly angry people, Dr. Deffenbacher says, is "things oughta go my way!" Angry people tend to feel that they are morally right, that any blocking or changing of their plans is an unbearable indignity and that they should NOT have to suffer this way. Maybe other people do, but not them!

When you feel that urge, he suggests, picture yourself as a god or goddess, a supreme ruler, who owns the streets and stores and office space, striding alone and having your way in all situations while others defer to you. The more detail you can get into your imaginary scenes, the more chances you have to realize that maybe you are being unreasonable; you'll also realize how unimportant the things you're angry about really are. There are two cautions in using humor. First, don't try to just "laugh off" your problems; rather, use humor to help yourself face them more constructively. Second, don't give in to harsh, sarcastic humor; that's just another form of unhealthy anger expression.

:lol:

xaviMF22 said:

Ed has no facial hair :wink:

I'm taking Thom's :drool:

Ed had facial hair...then you took it out of his sink. Sicko. :angry:

There is a glut in the Thom Yorke facial hair market, unfortunately. :(

I still can't believe Lance was championing "Anyone Can Play Guitar".

My god. In a million years U2 couldn't come up with a song title that embarassing.

The two songs I was talking about were Lurgee & Stop Whispering, for the record.

And is it okay to enjoy HTDAAB and In Rainbows? And Hail to the Thief? And Kid A? And The Bends?

Maybe I'm just a whore.

How about

A.) If you dont like Radiohead get out of the thread, go post in a thread of a band that you DO like, and let people that like the ablum enjoy it and talk about it here.

B.) Everyone stop being rude to each other.

Or

C.) I just close this thread.

Decisions decisions.

lazarus said:
Maybe I'm just a whore.

Yeah, you are. You're not allowed to like a variety of music or respect others tastes. It's just too hard for one person alone to comprehend.

xaviMF22 said:

bucket.gif

All better. :wink:

The Pablo Honey hate is almost as ridiculous as some of the In Rainbows love going on here.

What's wrong with Anyone Can Play Guitar exactly? It's an incredibly catchty little tune with a fantastic melody and dynamic. Just because it's from the same band that made Pyramid Song doesn't make it bad.

Sicy said:
How about

A.) If you dont like Radiohead get out of the thread, go post in a thread of a band that you DO like, and let people that like the ablum enjoy it and talk about it here.

Or

Decisions decisions.

But this isn't an "appreciation" thread.

It's a general "In Rainbows" thread.

It's not just about "love."

Or am I mistaken?

It's about people's reactions to the album.

And reactions to those reactions.

And the razzing that has been going on has been good natured, 2 sided, and it's what happens when people know each other for years on this board.

Sicy said:
How about

Or

Decisions decisions.

With all due respect, Sicy, the thread was fine until Brau came in. He is closed-minded and arrogant and antagonistic and has nothing but contempt and mockery for those that don't shre his exact myopic point of view. He adds nothing. I ask you not punish us for his crap.

Brau, we all need to go to the "My Band Turned To Shit & I Can't Handle It" counselling sessions, whereby (after a group hug of course) we can all sit down together on some uncomfortable wooden foldout chairs, pour each other some some watered down orange juice, and reminisce about back in the day when U2 were putting out stuff like Stay and the Unforgettable Fire, and Radiohead were putting out stuff like High & Dry and Karma Police, and not shit like All Because of You and Yahweh, or shit like (insert two of your most hated Radiohead songs here).

"Good god, why can't they understand that a good melody is all you need, and everything else is bullshit?"
"Why can't they understand that a beautiful piece of music is still a beautiful piece of music regardless of it's structure or melody - or even if it has none of either at all?"

We can complain together about glorified nursery rhyme jingles and artsy fartsy hipster wankery. Repetitive lazy lyrics written in under a minute on the back of White House letterhead, and lyrics that make as much sense as a cat whining about nothing in particular. About lead singers who try to hard, and lead singers who don't try at all. About promotional tricks like iPod ads, and promotional tricks like 'free' downloads. About the gazillions U2 made from Apple while claiming it was all for art, and the gazillions Radiohead made from this download while claiming it was all about the people.

We are all one Brau, but clearly not the same.

namkcuR said:
With all due respect, Sicy, the thread was fine until Brau came in. He is closed-minded and arrogant and antagonistic and has nothing but contempt and mockery for those that don't shre his exact myopic point of view. He adds nothing. I ask you not punish us for his crap.

I believe you. Which is why he probably wont be here much longer.

Lancemc said:
The Pablo Honey hate is almost as ridiculous as some of the In Rainbows love going on here.

What's wrong with Anyone Can Play Guitar exactly? It's an incredibly catchty little tune with a fantastic melody and dynamic. Just because it's from the same band that made Pyramid Song doesn't make it bad.

You're right about it being okay that it's by the same band who made Pyramid Song, I just don't care for that song very much, or most of Pablo Honey for that matter. It's a mediocre debut album uncharacteristically upped by a masterclass-level sophomore album.

What they did and tried to do on Pablo Honey, I think they did 100000x better on The Bends and surpassed.

LemonMacPhisto said:

You're right about it being okay that it's by the same band who made Pyramid Song, I just don't care for that song very much

Same for me. :shrug: I even like PH to an extent, but that song just grates on me for some reason. However...

You
Creep
Stop Whispering
Ripcord
Blow Out

All good songs. :up:

MrBrau1 said:

But this isn't an "appreciation" thread.

It's a general "In Rainbows" thread.

It's not just about "love."

Or am I mistaken?

It's about people's reactions to the album.

And reactions to those reactions.

And the razzing that has been going on has been good natured, 2 sided, and it's what happens when people know each other for years on this board.

Sharing a difference of opinion is one thing. But do you have to be SO rude in your replies? Obviously some people are offended because here I go again getting complaints about your posts on a daily basis. It's a nuisense and I'm tired of dealing with it. Is it THAT difficult for you to share your opinion in a constructive manner rather than just shit all over threads you dont like?

xaviMF22 said:

I wanna look like Thom :grumpy:

I'm working on the wonky eye :wink:

you're hotter than thom

but I bet you can't dance like him :drool:

and yeah, perhaps it's a bit early to judge how good In Rainbows really is when it's been out for less than a week, but at the same time it's pretty easy to tell if you like something or not, and there's nothing wrong with giving your opinion at the time. If you currently think In Rainbows is the best Radiohead album EVAR, I don't see why that's something that needs to be mocked. It's not like you'll necessarily hold that opinion forever, but if it's how you feel at the moment then, what's wrong with that :shrug:

I don't know if I can say this is better than Kid A or OK Computer, but I think I like it more than The Bends. The Bends is damn good but is very very 90's. Everything that came after is timeless. But this may end up being my favourite Radiohead album simply because it makes me happier than Radiohead ever has before. I'm not a diehard Radiohead fan like I am for U2, so the fact that I've basically had this album on repeat since it came out was unexpected. Like I said before, I haven't listened to any Radiohead album this much at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom