RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:35 PM
If you basically give your album away for free, I don't think it's legitimate to say that you "sold" so and so many copies.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:35 AM
Good point but they aren’t actually saying it, it's more speculation at this point than anything else...

On top of that RH do not strike me as really caring all that much at the end of the day.

Just another sad example of the need to quantify sales to equate success...

Old 10-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 08:35 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

According to this article, citing a poll of 3,000 people who downloaded the album, the average price chosen was 4 pounds.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Review from Boston Globe:

Quote:
Radiohead's revenge is sweet

By Joan Anderman, Globe Staff | October 11, 2007

The Internet went a little bit bananas yesterday at 1:30 a.m., as did the blogosphere, when fans began downloading Radiohead's new album, "In Rainbows." The digital-only release was supposed to launch at 7 p.m. (midnight in London), but the activation codes arrived 6 1/2 hours late. Needless to say the delay hardly diminished the cultural significance or revolutionary business potential built into the release of Radiohead's seventh album, which is being offered to fans for whatever price they choose to pay.

Nobody knows how many pre-orders were taken or how much fans opted to pony up, but anecdotal evidence suggests the first number exceeds 4 million and the second hovers around $10, the typical cost of a digital album. Every cent goes to the band, which is no longer affiliated with a record label, and the timing couldn't be better: smack on the heels of the recording industry's victory in its first lawsuit against a music downloader.

It's a brilliant goodwill gesture, although the pay-what-you-want model probably isn't viable in the broader marketplace. Only a band with Radiohead's large, devoted fan base and reliably stellar catalog could pull it off. But here and now, in a perfect storm of credible artist, adoring public, and hostile industry, the psychology is sheer genius. Whatever you paid for "In Rainbows," it's going to be worth it because you, the newly empowered consumer, have assigned the value.

The real beauty is that "In Rainbows" is a wonderful, absorbing album. It falls on the subdued side for Radiohead; the lion's share of these 10 tracks are more contemplative than raucous, filled with strings and finger-picked guitars and Thom Yorke's voice front and center instead of buried in a toxic mix. But subdued doesn't mean laid-back. Radiohead finds intensity wherever its members' collective experimental streak leads them, and this ruminative new album is no exception.

Dry, crisp percussion and Yorke's eerie coo kick off "15 Steps," a crackling, sinuous tune that builds to an anxious peak and could have been lifted from sessions for "The Eraser," the singer's solo album. Next comes "Bodysnatchers," built around a thick tangle of distorted guitars and a frantic beat; it's going to be positively epic onstage.

And that's pretty much it for the rockers. From here on the album swims inward - and at the same time outward, toward listeners who have been alienated by the band's devotion to abstract experimentation on the past several albums. "Nude" is a dreamy waltz, a futuristic blues ornamented with virtual choirs and space-age gauze. "Reckoner" flows like soulful benediction, all shimmering rhythms and burnished strings. "All I Need" builds from a rumbling keyboard meditation into a soaring symphony, but the skewed chamber pop of "Faust Arp" asks nothing of the listener but to fall under its lovely, aching spell. That alone is a novelty for Radiohead, a band that in recent years has demanded a rigorous level of intellectual engagement from its audience.

"In Rainbows" is concerned with love, its gentle dissonances and endless, minute contortions. "I'd be crazy not to follow where you lead," Yorke sings on "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi," following fluid guitar lines into a watery soundscape that grows murkier and murkier, until the singer hits bottom and is left wondering how to escape. "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" toggles gorgeously between anxiety and euphoria; Yorke rushes to deliver his questioning, quick-witted lyrics, and they tumble out list-like, like so many puzzling pieces of information.

The piano ballad "Videotape," set at the Pearly Gates, begins simply and then grows misshapen over its 4 1/2 minutes, as a drum materializes with an offbeat wallop and uneasy textures begin to bleed into the song. "No matter what happens next, you shouldn't be afraid/ Because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen," sings Yorke, just before the beat starts skipping around and the tune breaks into chunks that fall out of synch. Time becomes unreliable, harmony vanishes, and the song leads quietly into chaos. But Radiohead knows its way around the void, and on "In Rainbows," it sounds beautiful and true.

Joan Anderman can be reached at anderman@globe.com. For more on music, visit boston.com/ae/ music/blog.
http://www.boston.com/ae/music/cd_re...enge_is_sweet/
Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Great review!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by SeattleVertigo
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

According to this article, citing a poll of 3,000 people who downloaded the album, the average price chosen was 4 pounds.
forget what I said... reminds me of that line from Spaceballs:

"We're not just doing this for they money.... We're doing it for a SHIT LOAD OF MONEY!"
Old 10-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #22
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Quote:
[i] I drove to Abq to see The Shins
Sorry to deviate, but I want to hear about this.

1.2 million is insane. I'll be very interested to see the figures of how much they actually made. It surprisingly seems that the vast majority of people I've seen post in various places at least paid something for it. Calculate in the box set sales, and you should have a pretty interesting figure.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Can I just say that I love the way you can hear the pick scrape against the guitar strings in Nude?

I've had this on repeat for so long my ears hurt from having the headphones on.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:35 AM
oh there's a new thread... i posted in the other one cuz i left it up from last night

here wuz my post:

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Look at the reviews so far:

Rolling Stone - 4.5 stars
Guardian - 5 stars
Planet Sound - 9/10
Times Online - 4 stars
Virgin Media - 4.5 stars
The Telegraph - Favorable

Damn straight, I say.

Quote:
The most heartening thing about In Rainbows, besides the fact that it may represent the strongest collection of songs Radiohead have assembled for a decade, is that it ventures into new emotional territories: their last album, 2003's Hail to the Thief, had its moments, but it was scarred by the sense that the band's famed gloominess was starting to tip into self-parody and petulance. Here, there's wit - at 15 Step's conclusion, Yorke's patented end-is-nigh keening is undercut by a childrens' chorus merrily crying "hey!" - and warmth. With its strings and swooning guitars, Nude sounds lushly romantic. So does All I Need, which, moreover, ends in a fantastic, life-affirming crescendo. Witty, romantic, life-affirming: you don't need to be an expert in the minutae of their back catalogue to know that these are not adjectives readily associated with Radiohead.
That's what I said!

I'm still madly in love with this album. it almost makes me cry it's so good. is that bad?

also lazarus I totally agree with you on the U2 thing... they get credit for changing their sound with Achtung Baby, but Zooropa and Passengers are pretty much ignored, and Pop is somehow construed as a total failure (even though the initial reviews were mostly positive...).

i mean, come on, U2 had balls to release songs like Numb and Lemon as singles which sounded nothing like their typical sound or even their "new" AB sound. And the first time I heard Kid A I thought "wow...Passengers." I do agree with xavi though that had U2 released it under their name it likely would have gotten more attention...though like I said Zooropa was pretty different but it's not considered a classic by any of the critics now, or even really considered at all such is the way of things. Radiohead sometimes gets too much credit for innovation, but they deserve all the praise they get for this album.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Can I just say that I love the way you can hear the pick scrape against the guitar strings in Nude?

I've had this on repeat for so long my ears hurt from having the headphones on.
i pick scrapes... I have to re-listen now, where is it in the song?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

It's throughout the song, but you hear it more clearly in the first minute or two, on the left side. Obviously better on headphones.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #27
The Male

Re: RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22
Successful?

yea Radiohead pwned
Old 10-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:35 AM
The pick scrape is pretty cool, but I'm pretty pissed off with some of the production.

It seems to me that the producers just didn't care to work that hard on cleaning the album up. For instance, they must have recorded near an elementary school because I can hear kids screaming in the background of 15 Step. That's just lazy.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

^lol

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
That's what I said!

I'm still madly in love with this album. it almost makes me cry it's so good. is that bad?
no, not at all, it gives me goosbumps and I havent had that happen to me much when listening to a Radiohead album before, as I said before I had no idea they were interested in making music like this...
Old 10-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #30
Gunslinger

I heard the album 5 times on a bose sounddock. Pretty good listening. Then I heard the album once on headphones while trying to read in bed. Normally, I can manage both no problem. After 40 minutes, I only read 4 pages. My head kept melting to the beautiful sounds.