RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arpeggi and Jigsaw... sweet Jemimah. Getting a lot of plays in the LMP Household.

I've been trying out some alternate running orders, and I've found one that I think I'm going to stick with...I really, really love it. I think it flows better than the actual order, and I think the buildup of the record as a whole is better this way...it starts with the 'I'm alive' theme of Bodysnatchers, quiets down and starts building and building and building until it gets to the masterpieces of Nude, Reckoner, and All I Need, before closing with Videotape, which is all about death. From 'And for anyone else to see/I'm alive' to 'This is my way of saying goodbye/Because I can't do it face to face/I'm talking to you after it's too late/From my videotape'. For me, Faust Arp and House Of Cards, as nice as they are, play the roles that Treefingers and In Limbo played on Kid A...sort of interludes between the big numbers....interludes of a ridiculously high quality, mind you, but interludes nontheless.

1.Bodysnatchers
2.Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
3.15 Step
4.Jigsaw Falling Into Place
5.Faust Arp
6.Nude
7.House Of Cards
8.Reckoner
9.All I Need
10.Videotape

Please, give it a try. With crossfade in ITunes. Seriously. The flow of this running order...it's just :combust: :combust: :combust: :combust: :combust:

So I finally sat down and bloody listened to this thing, considering my Internet was down for a while and that I've been swamped with work, duty and a lot of other crap.

Hm. I think I'm going to have to give this more time. 'Jigsaw' and 'Reckoner' stood out immediately for me, but the rest was kinda floating by me. This is definitely going on repeat for the next week or so though!

yertle-the-turtle said:
'Jigsaw' and 'Reckoner' stood out immediately for me, but the rest was kinda floating by me.

Don't fret, my first listen was the same (essentially the same songs as well).

You'll be fine, Yert. You'll be fine.

It's funny, because the moment I discovered Sigur Rós is generally the moment that I lost my passion for Radiohead. It didn't help that I felt nothing for HTTT. "In Rainbows" is better, and I've listened to it a few times through, but my mind is now looking to "Hvarf/Heim" and "Heima" in November.

It's just kind of interesting that that happened to me, I guess.

melon said:
It's funny, because the moment I discovered Sigur Rós is generally the moment that I lost my passion for Radiohead. It didn't help that I felt nothing for HTTT. "In Rainbows" is better, and I've listened to it a few times through, but my mind is now looking to "Hvarf/Heim" and "Heima" in November.

It's just kind of interesting that that happened to me, I guess.

But they're so different...my love for one in no way affects my love for the other.

Although unfortunately I saw Sigur Ros a few months before I saw Radiohead and I have to admit, I was a bit bummed out by the Radiohead show after having my mind completely blown by Sigur Ros. But I could say that about every show I've seen since Sigur Ros, pretty much the best show I've ever seen except for ZooTV.

I could listen to Radiohead every day, though, while Sigur Ros is more a mood thing.

Speaking of HttT, I have recently arrived at the conclusion that Backdrifts is bloody excellent. Reckoner is still consuming an inordinate amount of my listening time.

Reckoner still stands as my favorite song and I'm surprised to see it consistently on the bottom of people's lists. I guess it doesn't help that most of the songs are so strong, and that I guess it's a fairly simple song. But it's got this 70s, "Age of Aquarius" groove that's just so awesome coming out of this band.

Great album. :up: :drool: It's passing the outdoor listening test in flying colours. I'm absolutely horrible at first impressions, but after listening to it about four times over, it's growing on me like a beautiful fungus. If Kid A is the weird little child not everyone gets, this is his little sister.

Definitely a Sigur Ros influence...Nude, in particular...which also reminds me of the original theme song to Star Trek, for some reason...especially the spacey outro. :drool: It's also great to see Edge make an appearance on Bodysnatchers. :wink:

Hard to judge yet where it ranks, but I think it's definitely an album that has a whole arsenal of emotion, not just the peaks of paranoia. Maybe their most grown-up album to date...can't wait to see them in concert. :drool:

angelordevil said:
Great album. :up: :drool: It's passing the outdoor listening test in flying colours. I'm absolutely horrible at first impressions, but after listening to it about four times over, it's growing on me like a beautiful fungus. If Kid A is the weird little child not everyone gets, this is his little sister.

Definitely a Sigur Ros influence...Nude, in particular...which also reminds me of the original theme song to Star Trek, for some reason...especially the spacey outro. :drool: It's also great to see Edge make an appearance on Bodysnatchers. :wink:

Hard to judge yet where it ranks, but I think it's definitely an album that has a whole arsenal of emotion, not just the peaks of paranoia. Maybe their most grown-up album to date...can't wait to see them in concert. :drool:

The Edge is still playing the walk on riff :wink:

is it possible to listen to an album too much?

I bought Icky Thump yesterday. I like it a lot.

But I'm listening to In Rainbows.

I just can't get over this album :drool: Nude has grown on me a lot. Such a beautiful song. There's really not a weak track on this record though.

also some people said Thom's delivery on Bodysnatchers was subpar...personally I love it. He sounds like a real rock 'n roll singer, full of confidence. "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TAAAALKIN ABOUT" makes me :drool:

I can't wait til the tour...my friend and I tried to get tickets to Radiohead awhile back when they were playing in chicago but i think they were playing some small venue or something...we werent able to get them. but because of the greatness of this album i will get tickets no matter what it takes.

:lol:

rhcomicstrip.jpg

Dalton said:
In Rainbows hasn't stood up against the time. I was a big fan when it first came out, but I just can't listen to it anymore. It sounds so dated.

I deleted it from my ipod.

Are you serious?

namkcuR said:
I've been trying out some alternate running orders, and I've found one that I think I'm going to stick with...I really, really love it. I think it flows better than the actual order, and I think the buildup of the record as a whole is better this way...it starts with the 'I'm alive' theme of Bodysnatchers, quiets down and starts building and building and building until it gets to the masterpieces of Nude, Reckoner, and All I Need, before closing with Videotape, which is all about death. From 'And for anyone else to see/I'm alive' to 'This is my way of saying goodbye/Because I can't do it face to face/I'm talking to you after it's too late/From my videotape'. For me, Faust Arp and House Of Cards, as nice as they are, play the roles that Treefingers and In Limbo played on Kid A...sort of interludes between the big numbers....interludes of a ridiculously high quality, mind you, but interludes nontheless.

1.Bodysnatchers
2.Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
3.15 Step
4.Jigsaw Falling Into Place
5.Faust Arp
6.Nude
7.House Of Cards
8.Reckoner
9.All I Need
10.Videotape

Please, give it a try. With crossfade in ITunes. Seriously. The flow of this running order...it's just :combust: :combust: :combust: :combust: :combust:

This is better than the original order. :up:

Anyone see the last.fm charts?

15 Steps has 67,000 listeners :shocked:

And they have 3 million plays in one week :ohmy:

Radiohead owns last.fm:wink:

In Rainbows is definitely my favorite RH album after Kid A and OK Computer. I would rank the albums in this order, actually:

1. Kid A
2. OK Computer
3. In Rainbows
4. Amnesiac
5. Hail To The Thief
6. The Bends
7. Pablo Honey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom