RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:
BTW, Bodysnatchers is the best rocker the band has done since Electioneering. :rockon:

Has the light gone out for you?
Because the light's gone out for me.
It's the 21st century

:drool:

it should have been longer
like the other liver version :tsk:

LemonMelon said:

That's what makes it so great though.

They pack all of this goodness into 4 minutes. :drool:

I guess the shorter version works

but I thought the longer version was awesomer :wink:

Lancemc said:
Reckoner on the other hand. :drool:

I don't remember the last time I was in love with a single song like I am with Reckoner. It's perfect. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like live. I want to see if Thom can hit those high falsetto notes as perfectly and heavenly as he does on record on a consistant basis live.

This album is so good, I can't even describe it in the least.

I mean, it's like trying to describe plutonium ice cream.

And the ice cream vendor is a bit of a dick.

And the people in your town couldn't care less.

Yeah, plutonium rock baby.

Because everybody likes a bit of dick, maybe we all get cancer.

Good stuff. We'll all catch it on YouTube, I'm sure.
Couldn't stop the radiation from expanding, I had to tape it.

I've listened to the album a couple of times. It strikes me as solid, but to be honest none of the songs have really jumped out and kicked my arse yet.

I'll give it another listen tonight.

Zootlesque said:

Yeah.. the drums.. they sound more and more distorted (or broken up?) as the song moves along and it kinda adds to the surreal nature of the lyrics I think... Atomic Bono or somebody may have said something similar before.. the drums don't seem THAT bad on the 3rd and 4th listens. :wink:

I'll say it again. I love the drums on Videotape. I find them haunting and purposeful. I finally heard an old version from the show I saw and it had the drums as well, just slightly different but they were there.

The Sad Punk said:
I've listened to the album a couple of times. It strikes me as solid, but to be honest none of the songs have really jumped out and kicked my arse yet.

I'll give it another listen tonight.

:giggle: That's what a few now obsessed people said at first. :wink:

xaviMF22 said:

it should have been longer
l

As should several songs. :tsk:

I just would like to have been a fly on the wall in the studio to hear the discussion about when and why to cut off All I Need when they did. I mean, is there no Larry Mullins, Jr. in the band to say wtf, let the people climax properly? Did they all just go, 'Yeah, cut it off right there. That's enough. That's perfect.' I don't get it. I have to accept it but it breaks my heart a little bit each time. :sad:

joyful, I was thinking yesterday about how you feel All I Need is cut off too soon and was listening to the song intently to see what I think. I really didn't think it was that soon. There is a good crescendo and then instead of dragging it on and on (like U2 sometimes tends to do), they cut it off. I didn't mind so much. I don't know. Maybe I'll change my mind if I listen to the song a few more times and get even more obsessed with it.

The album itself could and should have been longer though. Maybe not as long as Hail but at least more than 42 min.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
joyful, I was thinking yesterday about how you feel All I Need is cut off too soon and was listening to the song intently to see what I think. I really didn't think it was that soon. There is a good crescendo and then instead of dragging it on and on (like U2 sometimes tends to do), they cut it off. I didn't mind so much. I don't know. Maybe I'll change my mind if I listen to the song a few more times and get even more obsessed with it.

The album itself could and should have been longer though. Maybe not as long as Hail but at least more than 42 min.

I know, I'm beating a dead horse but at least it's not the Videotape dead horse. :wink: There's a middle road between dragging it out and letting it take its course to its natural conclusion and I don't think they did that. It just needs maybe 20 seconds more. I think the ending to "How to Disappear Completely" was perfect--not too much, just right, absolutely satisfying, for example.

Btw, I was thinking about this last night. Is it just me or is there a Massive Attack influence on All I Need? I'm thinking something from Mezzanine.

Lancemc said:
There There pwns Bodysnatchers.

Half of it does. It gets awesome once it builds up, but I don't care for Thom's vocals on that one. They're pretty weak and hold the song back. Had it been recorded for IR, I probably wouldn't have any reason to complain.

joyfulgirl said:

I know, I'm beating a dead horse but at least it's not the Videotape dead horse. :wink: There's a middle road between dragging it out and letting it take its course to its natural conclusion and I don't think they did that. It just needs maybe 20 seconds more. I think the ending to "How to Disappear Completely" was perfect--not too much, just right, absolutely satisfying, for example.

I sort of agree, but I think the part before the build up should be extended, not the ending itself. There's these couple of bars that work as a bridge between the two parts, but it's too short and it ends up being a tad jarring.

And, for the record, I think IR is the perfect length. It's addicting.

lazarus said:

I see it more as you just had sex with 9 chicks of various levels of hotness, and the 10th one is really beautiful, and halfway through the act you touch her face and it starts peeling off like that old woman in the bathroom in The Shining and though you keep going because it still kind of feels good, when it's over you're just wondering what the fuck happened.

And where the fuck is your protractor?

xaviMF22 said:

I say they're tied

I say Kid A and IR are tied. :wink: Bends is back a little further.

Bends is highly underrated (and Kid A overrated) on atease though, so that poll doesn't represent the populous very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom