RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh so has this leaked?

Can someone send it to me?

mikethehockeyfan at gmail dot com

:heart:
Thank you lovelies

EDIT: Wait, so they released it in 160kb/s? Great, I always wanted to find out what a Radiohead album sounds like when listened to underwater, now I can find out :up:

I'll wait for someone to spend too much monies for the "discbox" and rip it, thankyouverymuch.

Last edited:
FitzChivalry said:

"Denial. Denial." Definitely my favorite, single, isolated moment on the album. FUCKING GORGEOUS!

In the seconds before opening my eyes this morning..."Denial. Denial." These songs are infiltrating every waking, sleeping and in-between state.

:crazy:

FitzChivalry said:

"Denial. Denial." Definitely my favorite, single, isolated moment on the album. FUCKING GORGEOUS!

Mine's between:

"Wierd Fishes! Wierd Fishes!" (though it should've been "fishies")

"Squeeze the tubes and empty bottles"

I've had these lines in my head all day.

This thread moves way too fast for me to keep up. In any case, I'm still pretty sure 15 Step is the best song on the album. From the looks of it, I'm pretty alone in thinking that.

inmyplace13 said:
This thread moves way too fast for me to keep up. In any case, I'm still pretty sure 15 Step is the best song on the album. From the looks of it, I'm pretty alone in thinking that.

It's one of my least favorites but hey, we all agree it's a great record with 10 great songs. Even given what some people are disappointed with, it's still an exciting record and everybody's found many things to love.

At the moment, Nude is my favorite, but there is not a weak song on this album, making is extremely hard to pick highlights.

My only issue is that all the songs between Bodysnatchers and Jigsaw are low-key. Of course, that is also why it is their best flowing album since Kid A.

Regardless, it is my favorite album of the year, just ahead of Icky Thump.

lazarus said:
All this talk of math and sex reminded me of this great line:

"Twins, Max! 16 years-old. Can you imagine the mathematical possibilities?"

Name the movie. FTW, of course.

Annie Hall.

FTW.

I have the album on again here at work, but it's just not the same as a listen at home with headphones. Just one listen for me away from work. :(

Gave it my first listen last night. Overall, I like it. 15 Step, though, is absolutely pointless. Another friggin' electronic drum beat, and a generally forgettable song overall....nothing new to add to the Radiohead catalog with this one. Bodysnatchers is good, Nude is like OKC meets Velvet Dress. My faves are Faust Arp, Reckoner, and HOC. Man, Reckoner starts off as a Chili Peppers song and then suddenly turns into the best song on the album. :drool: Videotape didn't strike me in the way that it hit some people. :shrug:

Nice album. I'd say that they still need to drop the haunted mansion chants and sliding odd chord progressions that are tired RH tricks.......was glad to see they only appeared a few times, but would've been happy not to have them at all.

Looking forward to more listens...

Last edited:
Here's a stab at a ranking:

1. 15 Step
2. Arpeggi
3. House of Cards
4. Reckoner
5. All I Need
6. Bodysnatchers
7. Faust ARP
8. Jigsaw
9. Nude
10. Videotape

I do really like every single one of these tunes, though. I think that, as an album, it doesn't touch Kid A, OKC, or Amnesiac. It's right up with HTTT for me and ahead of the Bends and Pablo Honey.

Pointless attempt at ranking (it will change tomorrow):

1. Nude
2. Reckoner
3. All I Need
4. Bodysnatchers
5. Jigsaw
6. 15 Step
7. Arpeggi
8. House of Cards
9. Faust ARP
10. Videotape

Utoo said:
15 Step, though, is absolutely pointless.

What's the point of any song? Or any form of art? With this line of reasoning one could say, for example, a book about a whale is pointless.

joyfulgirl said:

What's the point of any song? Or any form of art? With this line of reasoning one could say, for example, a book about a whale is pointless.

Like this one?

ModyDick.jpg

I'm a graduate student in English. I love literature. Moby Dick makes me cry. I hate it.

All that said, it is really interesting that a book about a whale may or may not have a point. Dick is not direct in asserting it''s "point," so it must all be inferred. If something is simply implied, does it actually exist? This book may be the quintessential example of a book that simultaneously meaningful and meaningless.

joyfulgirl said:

If a mime claps one hand in the woods and no trees are green, what is the mime's name?

All I'm saying is that when I first put my headphones on and played the very first song of a much-anticipated album, it did absolutely nothing for me. In fact, it reminded me so much of everything else they've ever done that about 20 seconds in, I had the thought that if the rest of the album sounded like 15 Step, I was going to turn it off and put something else in. Or do laundry. Or watch the paint peel. 15 Step, to me, sounds as if it could fit on half of the band's previous albums, yet wouldn't stand out or be memorable on any. The rest of the songs are unique and entertaining in some way. That song, for me, isn't at all. That's all.

Dalton said:
And I have now discovered why UL has a hard time getting past the first date ...

:wink:

:mad:

I'm actually engaged now. But we never really had a first date until after we were "a couple." So in a way, you're right. . . :ohmy:

1. Nude
2. Reckoner
3. Videotape
4. All I Need
5. Arpeggi
6. Faust Arp
7. House of Cards
8-10. The Rest

It is interesting that Videotape's reputation has crumbled in such a dramatic fashion.

Utoo said:

If a mime claps one hand in the woods and no trees are green, what is the mime's name?

All I'm saying is that when I first put my headphones on and played the very first song of a much-anticipated album, it did absolutely nothing for me. In fact, it reminded me so much of everything else they've ever done that about 20 seconds in, I had the thought that if the rest of the album sounded like 15 Step, I was going to turn it off and put something else in. Or do laundry. Or watch the paint peel. 15 Step, to me, sounds as if it could fit on half of the band's previous albums, yet wouldn't stand out or be memorable on any. The rest of the songs are unique and entertaining in some way. That song, for me, isn't at all. That's all.

Ok, I get it. But give it some time. It's not one of my favorites but it's fun.* Maybe that's the point. :)

*I don't know the lyrics yet. Maybe it's not fun at all, but it sounds kinda fun.

ouch.... read this article... :(

Radiohead Fans Feel Duped By In Rainbows' Poor Sound Quality, Possible Ulterior Motives
Send to Friend
Print
Statements from band's management seem to indicate that downloadable album was just promotional tool for physical CD.
By James Montgomery

Del.icio.us Digg Newsvine Send to Friend Print You Tell Us

When Radiohead announced last week that they would be releasing their seventh album, In Rainbows, via their official Web site, there was much fanfare and some honest-to-goodness debate about the future of the music industry, the validity of major labels and just how people consume music.

But in the days since that announcement, a whole lot of that fanfare has curdled, thanks to moves by the band and its management that some see as dishonest, distasteful and, well, downright un-Radiohead. The sentiment among many fans seems to have gone from admiration for the group's willingness to let the consumer decide how much to pay for the new album to anger over the low quality of the downloads — and dismay over the band's manager's statement that the you-choose-the-price downloads were just a promotional tool for the release of the physical CD.

The first bone of contention arose October 9 — the day before Rainbows became available for download — when fans who ordered the album (either in its download-only form or as a deluxe, $81 "discbox" version) received an e-mail from Radiohead's official online store, announcing that "the album [would] come as a 48.4 MB ZIP file containing 10 x 160 [kilobits per second], DRM-free MP3s."

To the casual music listener, the e-mail would be little more than an order confirmation (if not, you know, totally confusing), but to a segment of Radiohead's fanbase — aand to anyone who frequents file-sharing sites — it was a call to arms for two reasons.

First and foremost, all of Radiohead's previous albums were already available as MP3s encoded at 320 kilobits per second — the highest-possible compression rate in the format (though still not nearing the quality of a compact disc) — and most file-sharers scoff at anything less than 192 kbps. (MP3 files encoded with a lower bit rate will generally play back at a lower quality — something not readily apparent on tiny iPod earbuds but obvious enough on high-end home stereos.)

Second, most took issue with when Radiohead chose to announce that In Rainbows would be available at 160 kbps — after the majority of their fans had already paid for the download. To be fair, however, the band did give potential customers the power of choosing how much they wanted to pay to download the album. It could be had for as little as the transaction fee of 45 pence, or roughly 92 cents. There was also an option on the Web site to cancel orders; though, given the timing of the bit-rate announcement, fans had less than 24 hours to do so.

"Most promo MP3s come at a higher bit rate," wrote the author of U.K. blog Kids Pushing Kids. "Worst pound and pence I've ever spent."

"Radiohead has such delicate music that requires detail and depth of sound. ... I for one CAN tell the difference between 160 and 192," responded one commenter. "[With] 160 you can't hear the finer details that make Radiohead so great. I have lost a bit of respect for Radiohead for this. I would never make people pay for 160. They may as well just stream stuff off MySpace."

No one seemed to understand why Radiohead decided to release Rainbows at 160 kpbs, though guitarist Jonny Greenwood told Rolling Stone, "We talked about it and we just wanted to make it a bit better than iTunes, which it is, so that's kind of good enough, really. It's never going to be CD-quality, because that's what a CD does."

That explanation didn't fly with some fans, who began speculating that the decision was made to keep the album off P2P sites or as a subtle way of making fans purchase either the discbox or the physical release of the album next year. The thought behind this theory was that if Radiohead fans were willing to split hairs over something as seemingly inconsequential as kilobits per second, then surely they wouldn't mind shelling out cash for the actual CD version of Rainbows.

And, as it turns out, the latter speculation seems to be true — especially after comments made by the band's managers, Chris Hufford and Bryce Edge, began to make their way around the Internet on Thursday (October 11) — which brings us to bone of contention number three.

In an interview with U.K. trade publication Music Week, Hufford and Bryce spoke at length about the downloadable version of Rainbows and how it plays into the larger plan of releasing a physical copy of the album in stores next year.

"In November we have to start with the mass-market plans and get them under way," Hufford told the magazine.

"If we didn't believe that when people hear the music they will want to buy the CD, then we wouldn't do what we are doing," Edge said.

To many, those comments sounded strangely, well, capitalistic and seemed to confirm that the lower-quality downloadable version of the album was little more than a promotional tool for the actual CD. (It didn't help that Edge is quoted as saying that "CDs are a fantastic bit of kit. ... You can't listen to a Radiohead record on MP3 and hear the detail; it's impossible.") And if that was the case, it probably would've been nice if the band — or its management — had let fans know before they paid (or, you know, didn't pay) to download it. Attempts to contact Edge for clarification on his comments were unsuccessful at press time.

Is this entire backlash really just glorified nitpicking, or do members of Radiohead Nation have a legitimate reason to think they were duped? Well, the answer in both cases is probably "yes."

On one hand, the main reason so many are upset (the 160 kbps thing) seems rather inconsequential, especially given the fact that most people downloading Rainbows are going to be listening to it on their computers or a portable MP3 player. But there is a slightly noticeable difference between a 160 kbps-encoded song and, say, one encoded at 320 (it's heard most easily when played on a stereo). And Radiohead have yet to really offer up any plausible explanation for why they even chose to go the 160 route, especially since their entire catalog is already available at 320.

Furthermore, had the band announced the sound quality before people paid for the record — and if its managers had made the download sound like nothing more than a glorified demo a few days earlier — would 1.2 million people (as is being reported) still have made the decision to download it on the day it was released? Well, probably not. But really, who knows?

In the end, it's really all about a series of intangibles — kilobits per second, fan loyalty, etc. — that makes it difficult to tell if Radiohead fans are upset because of a whole bunch of miscommunication, or if there was some less-than-honest business being done by a band not exactly known for being cold and calculating. Then again, it's also entirely possible that Thom Yorke and company tried to do something different with Rainbows, and as is the case with being first, they might not have gotten it right.

"I paid zero, nothing, nada for the album," one fan wrote on an epic Stereogum thread about the album. "Sounds like Radiohead. But 160 kbps, that's not good enough. They are actually forcing us to buy the CD when it comes out."

"Do not buy the record then. Was that not the point? Don't go around complaining like they did you a disservice by making an album available," another countered. "As if you wouldn't have downloaded the leak. Would you complain if you got the album for free and actually listened to the music instead of focusing on 160 kbps? Maybe you'd actually remember what music appreciation was and be forced to buy the album based on that notion instead."

what are your thoughts on this... ?

it really makes me think.. thats for sure..

UnforgettableLemon said:

Like this one?

That would be the one. I hated it, too, but grew to appreciate it.

Isn't the point of any Radiohead song more or less an existential crisis? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom