"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #61
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Morning Bell / Amnesiac is better than the Kid A Morning Bell.

There I said it.

Two different interpretations of the song, I know, but the Amnesiac one just does more for me. When it gets to the "release me" bit... damn.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 AM
I prefer the Kid A Morning Bell, if only for the "round and round and..." false climax.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Holy crap, less than 2 days away.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #64
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld

Well, maybe those exact words aren't used but that's the implication. He's saying that as good as "Kid A" is, Radiohead should have aimed for the mainstream instead. The fact is that dumbing yourself down for the mainstream these days seriously means dumbing yourself down for a bellweather audience that won't really care about your quality music. U2 couldn't get "Kite" played in every city's mainstream radio station much, so they bailed on a track in which they believed. The industry has to get less commercially-obsessed. The answer is not to dumb everything down, so a kid not really into music will suddenly be blown away. I don't have links because I read these things years ago, but the quotation you mentioned was one of them. Bono has made these comments in the past. Also this obsession with trying self-consciously trying to be like the Beatles in popularity is tragic and has led to some real creative mistakes by the band. How about trying to be U2 and not some neo-Beatles? He thinks the original route is a mistake, and it's pretty obvious, given the U2's last 2 albums.
Well maybe you are having a hard time understanding because it does come to you in the form of a sci fi TV show, but I don't see anything about dumbing down.

First you claimed Bono 'attacked' Kid A, then you said he just called it distant, now he's telling Thom to dumb down...

You seem to be backtracking.

And I have no clue what the hell you are talking about with Kite...
Old 10-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Read what Bono said again. I don't think he was suggesting that RH should change their musical style at all. I think his only complaint was that RH was actively hesitant to do videos and that sort of thing during the Kid A/Amnesiac era. There were no videos or singles for Kid A, and of the singles put out for Amnesiac(Knives Out and Pyramid Song), only Knives Out had a video. What I get from that quote is that Bono admires RH's work, including Kid A and Amnesiac, greatly, and that his critique is of RH's desire(or lackthereof) to promote themselves, and not of the music itself. Basically, he wishes that RH would care more about getting themselves on TV or radio because he wants the teenagers of the world, who too often are fooled into thinking American Idol shit(and other crap) is good music, to hear what really great music is. I mean, he could have used any band as an example of a band that should be on the radio instead of the shit that is, and the fact that he picked Radiohead to be his symbol of the great music that isn't reaching the masses should be taken as a huge compliment to RH.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #66
The Male

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

There I said it.
No. It's too repetitive.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

There I said it.

Two different interpretations of the song, I know, but the Amnesiac one just does more for me. When it gets to the "release me" bit... damn.

Yes, it's a much more emotional and powerful recording. It's warmer, and the irony is that for a song seemingly about divorce, it has a "light at the end of the tunnel" quality to it. It's the sound of freedom and liberation. Again, if this had been the version on Kid A, we wouldn't be arguing about it.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld

Why do folks say this everytime they don't like the opinion....
I was extremely excited when I first heard The Killers and bought their album the first week it was out, but I got very bored after a month. Those songs aren't very good and I especially mean the newest album. As bad as some Radiohead tracks can be (and I admitted some CAN be), there's usually something admirable, but my main point was that the supposedly experimental, non-mainstream alternative route had yielded songs Brandon Flowers will likely never make in his life because his attitude is more like a nowadays Bono than a true artist. He's got all the pretentiousness and little of the talent.

But we're judging the Killers after a mere 2 albums. I'm sure that most music fans and critics from all quarters would argue that the Killers first two albums were better than October and Boy, and bear in mind there was nothing spectacularly experimental about U2's first 2 offerings.

And The Killers are making stadium rock, and the use of synth in this day and age still represents a kind of novelty and is still regarded as a bit "daggy." The Killers sounds still seems very alternative if you consider what saturates commercial radio world wide (lightweight bands like Hinder, Nickelback, Snow Patrol, The Fray) Indeed, your Killers/Bravery fan isn't gonna be part of any Emo/Punk/Mainstream/anti-mainstream scene. They'll be a music fan listening cause they like the music, not cause they need to fit in with any group (like U2 fans).
Old 10-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #69
The Male

Album comes out in like 23 hours

Now.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:00 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

OMG!!1
Old 10-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Album comes out in like 23 hours
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT

I haven't listened to any of the live tracks since Xavi uploaded that zip file way back when. I cannot remember what any of them sound like. My mind is completely fresh for new Radiohead.

It's almost here.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT

I haven't listened to any of the live tracks since Xavi uploaded that zip file way back when. I cannot remember what any of them sound like. My mind is completely fresh for new Radiohead.

It's almost here.
I can't wait GG

Videotape
Old 10-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

i just hope thom's singing is better on the album than the live versions of these songs. the music sounds excellent though.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #74
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

But we're judging the Killers after a mere 2 albums. I'm sure that most music fans and critics from all quarters would argue that the Killers first two albums were better than October and Boy, and bear in mind there was nothing spectacularly experimental about U2's first 2 offerings.

And The Killers are making stadium rock, and the use of synth in this day and age still represents a kind of novelty and is still regarded as a bit "daggy." The Killers sounds still seems very alternative if you consider what saturates commercial radio world wide (lightweight bands like Hinder, Nickelback, Snow Patrol, The Fray) Indeed, your Killers/Bravery fan isn't gonna be part of any Emo/Punk/Mainstream/anti-mainstream scene. They'll be a music fan listening cause they like the music, not cause they need to fit in with any group (like U2 fans).
Personally, I'd take Boy and October to the first two Killers albums. They might not be as experimental as other post-punk/new wave bands of the era, but they made some good songs on 2 solid albums.

Right now, The Killers are trying to break out of that "'80s revival" group and do more substantial work. There's nothing wrong with that, I don't dislike them, but they aren't at any type of level yet. It doesn't help that Brandon Flowers comes off as a douchebag.

But this is about In Rainbows, and how we're all going to be listening to it in less than a day.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by mikal
i just hope thom's singing is better on the album than the live versions of these songs. the music sounds excellent though.
Thom's singing

skip to 2:47

Tags
in rainbows, radiohead