"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #556
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:57 AM
First impressions...

Disappointed. This largely comes from the fact that they have destroyed, suffocated and anally raped Videotape. The live versions of this song could easily get to my Radiohead Top 5. What were they thinking? Thom's piano doesn't have any punch whatsoever, his vocals are muffled, no guitar, no beautiful Ed sounds at the beginning, no build-up, not to mention that irritating percussion at the end.

OK, now that I'm rid of that, the rest of the album isn't bad, but it suffers from severe overproduction, especially on All I Need and 15 Step. How many electronica sounds does one need? You can see that they have worked on this record for 2 years (I'm getting The Bomb flashbacks here).

Now for the good sides - the new version of Reckoner is gorgeous. Nude is amazing. All I Need ending is great. House of Cards is an improvement over the live versions. Jigsaw is cool. I prefer the Bodysnatchers live versions, although Thom's vocals are great here.

I really hope it will grow on me. It does have that feeling. We'll see.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 AM   #557
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:57 PM
1) Kid A
2) Hail to the Thief
3a) OK Computer
3b) The Bends
5) In Rainbows
6) Amnesiac

1,362) Pablo Honey

That is all. Five or six spins in, I'll throw it a possibly generous 7/10. Good, not great (with great moments to go around, no doubt). I'm pleased, but that Discbox better be pretty fucking money, for all the, uh, money I shelled out.

"Videotape" is fine, but it definitely pales in comparison to its recent live incarnations; it suffers only in said comparison.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #558
War Child

Local Time: 09:57 PM
My first impression is also disappointed.

This is mainly because they ruined videotape

It's still a beautiful song, but it doesn't have that incredible explosion at the end, I don't know how they screwed that up.

The rest of the album is still very good. Bodysnatchers, All I need, Faust Arp, Reckoner and Jigsaw falling into place are clear highlights
Old 10-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #559
War Child

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but my first impressions have been dominated by a feeling that there a surprising amount of Beatles influence on this record. Bodysnatchers sounds like a Beatles melody, Faust Arp has clear White Album parallels, and the string arrangements on several songs remind me of the Beatles too.

House of Cards has been a clear standout for me on the first few listens. It's a thing of understated beauty. No need for it to go soaring off anywhere, just keep the brilliance going. Also, like the Bono-like vocal from about 1 minute from the end.

Re Videotape - I loved Thom's solo version from In the Basement and was a little disappointed with the first listen to the In Rainbows version, but I have a feeling that it will fall into place the more I listen to it.

All in all, good first impressions and a very strong album. I think that my final judgement will probably rest on how well it all sits together as a whole. Actually, I think that it feels kind of like Neon Bible, with which I was slightly disappointed at first, but which has grown and grown in strength with repeated listening, as the best - and longest lasting - albums always do.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #560
Blue Crack Addict

Downloading now...

Old 10-10-2007, 08:29 AM   #561
Blue Crack Addict

Listening now...I'm liking it so far

The ending of All I Need

Strings

I'll comment on the rest after I listen to it a couple of times

P.S. The file took like 5 seconds to download
Old 10-10-2007, 08:37 AM   #562
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 06:57 PM
Downloaded it this morning. I guess you would say I am pleased but not overwhelmed.

I must say that my favorite new track going into this album was "Down Is The New Up." I certainly hope there is a way to get this track without shelling out for the deluxe box set.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:41 AM   #563
Blue Crack Addict

Just started 15 Step...
Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #564
Blue Crack Addict

15 Step is decent.

Bodysnatchers has always been my favourite new song...and they did exactly what I thought they would with it. Kickass!

Who produced this bad boy anyways?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #565
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
15 Step is decent.

Bodysnatchers has always been my favourite new song...and they did exactly what I thought they would with it. Kickass!

Who produced this bad boy anyways?
Nigel Godrich
Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #566
Blue Crack Addict

Ah, of course.

Nude is pretty good but feels more like an ambient track than anything.

I dig Arpeggi so far though. Great guitar work. My favourite Radiohead tunes are the ones where they actually play their instruments.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #567
Blue Crack Addict

Arpeggi is now competing with Bodysnatchers for "top song on In Rainbows" status.

All I Need is great too.

So far (halfway through), I'm getting to think In Rainbows is superior to Hail to the Thief.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #568
Blue Crack Addict

So, I've listened to the album two full times now which is WAY to soon to have a complete opinion of the album, but I will say this: I am disappointed so far.

This is the first time I have bought a Radiohead album (with the exception of Pablo Honey which I bought after I bought The Bends) that I did not have a visceral reaction the first time I listened to the album.

I LOVED the bends the first time I listened to it. OK Computer made me feel like I was in another dimension completely. KID A scared the hell out me. I HATED Amnesiac the first time I heard it and I was angry with HTTT.

Right now I am simply apathetic to In Rainbows. The songs aren't bad, but they just don't interest me. Even with Amnesiac and HTTT I was at least intrigued and interested in listening more to figure out what the hell they were doing with the music, but with In Rainbows I'm just not that intrigued. Does that make sense?

Of course, I will give it some time - perhaps it will grow on me, but at this point if it wasn't a radiohead album I probably wouldn't keep listening.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #569
Blue Crack Addict

Faust Arp is way too short.

I just realized I won't have time to listen to the whole thing all the way through. I have to leave for school in 15 minutes.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #570
Blue Crack Addict

S-K-I-P

Tags
in rainbows, radiohead