"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dalton said:
I'm not sure how you can like some of the songs on this album and not like OSC.

I see a lot of similarities in the minimalistic, lush sounds.

well I hate HTDAAB with a passion

so that might have something to do with it :wink:

AtomicBono said:
also is this a shitty review or what

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/st...ioheads_in_rainbows?source=music_news_rssfeed

Besides Bodysnatchers and perhaps 15 Step I would not describe this as "rocks". Hard-rocking? Is that sarcasm or are we just comparing Radiohead to the soundtrack of a coma [note: this joke stolen from Maddox] to reach such a description?

also is Kid A really their most famous? I'd argue for OK Computer... and how does Videotape = glitches and electronics? Are they confused with 15 Step?

I mean I agree with the overall sentiment of the review (that the album is damn good) but their descriptions are way off :huh:

I agree horrible review :tsk:

Dalton said:
I will say this, I think that One Step Closer would fit well into this album.

yeah.

Okay now I'm gonna say what shit reminds me of just to be a jerk

Bodysnatchers :drool: reminds me so much of the Velvet Underground...though the part where it goes all uplifting (not typical of Radiohead) reminds me of U2. I do get the same feeling from All I Need in that they've somehow tapped into the same sort of energy U2 does, though it doesn't necessarily sound like U2. House of Cards does though. Laid-back U2 ala One Step Closer, The First Time, etc. The falsetto at the end reminds me so much of some U2 song but I can't place it.

Reckoner reminds me of Stadium Arcadium Chili Peppers for some reason... :scratch: Faust Arp is Beatlesy but that's not new for Radiohead.

overall though I feel like this album has its own sound and its cohesive and I am so happy about it.

also my friend loves Green Lantern. fyi.

AtomicBono said:
LMP you bring up some good points...Life in a Glasshouse is a song I can barely listen to though. Thom Yorke does not have the voice for that sort of song. But I certainly agree with Morning Bell/Amnesiac and perhaps Pyramid Song and I Might Be Wrong...hints of it, perhaps. But they fully reached it here. I really feel like this is a huge leap for them, because an easy criticism of Radiohead is that their music is too dark/depressing. In Rainbows isn't all sunshine, but you gotta have the light and the rain to make a rainbow right?

Another band who likes to juxtapose musical and lyrical ideas: The Flaming Lips.

While most of the music is upbeat, they present some depressing themes and moral dilemmas in their lyrics, not to a huge degree, but they still do. Take "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" for example, about the abuse of political power (probably the US government), and "Bad Days," which can be taken as a song about suicide, but is a light and fun song otherwise.

I hate to say this, and this is coming from someone who actually likes HTDAAB a lot, but there was a write up some year back of the 90's best albums, or best albums of all time in Q Magazine or NME or something, and under The Bends they simply wrote:

"U2 would sell crack to nuns to make music like this."

I can't help but think about that line when reflecting on In Rainbows. While that line seemed like an exaggeration after Pop and Zooropa, now it seems like a sad reality, even if U2's goals have been to unite and perfect the pop style this decade.

The Edge would have to be seriously challenged after hearing this album; In Rainbows isn't cold and distant (sorry Lance) like most of Kid A & Amnesiac, but rather welcoming, and yet it's creative as hell.

Maybe this will have a positive impact on what U2 does next, because I'm having a hard time buying their claim to Best Band in the World right now, even if I'm SLIGHTLY disappointed in Rainbows.

Also, not to be a nag, but...

Old Videotape mp3s? Anyone?

Maybe put up a s end spa ce link instead so others can get it too?

I'm dying to hear these earlier incarnations now.

lazarus said:
Also, not to be a nag, but...

Old Videotape mp3s? Anyone?

Maybe put up a s end spa ce link instead so others can get it too?

I'm dying to hear these earlier incarnations now.

I gotcha give me a sec :wink:

I'm really interested in the Basement Tapes version some people are O'ing about.

OLD Videotape Performances Good Quality :up:

Listen to how beautiful it used to be :(

htxp://download.ysi.com/66BDD35C37758F47

htxp://download.ysi.com/7D60622733F004CE

they killed videotape

:(

LemonMacPhisto said:

Another band who likes to juxtapose musical and lyrical ideas: The Flaming Lips.

While most of the music is upbeat, they present some depressing themes and moral dilemmas in their lyrics, not to a huge degree, but they still do. Take "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" for example, about the abuse of political power (probably the US government), and "Bad Days," which can be taken as a song about suicide, but is a light and fun song otherwise.

:hmm: interesting. that kinda stuff is always intriguing.

also upon second thought I agree with whoever said All I Need has very Bono-esque vocals/melody...

and I love Thom's voice on this album :love: It's very...clean.

xaviMF22 said:
OLD Videotape Performances Good Quality :up:

Listen to how beautiful it used to be :(

htxp://download.ysi.com/66BDD35C37758F47

htxp://download.ysi.com/7D60622733F004CE

they killed videotape

:(

"problem loading page" :shrug:

No spoken words said:
AB, why'd you ask about Green Lantern, besides that fact that it's my new avatar?

oh I was just making sure I was right :wink: one of my best friends loooves Green Lantern...that's all :)

thanks for da linx xavi :up:

I'm an idiot:

ysi is not the site name, it's .

:smacksinfaceforbeingalittlebastard:

i want to see radiohead live right now :(

this is quite good though I don't think it's that much better than the album version... :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom