"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Bell / Amnesiac is better than the Kid A Morning Bell.

There I said it.

Two different interpretations of the song, I know, but the Amnesiac one just does more for me. When it gets to the "release me" bit... damn.

I prefer the Kid A Morning Bell, if only for the "round and round and..." false climax.

Muldfeld said:

Well, maybe those exact words aren't used but that's the implication. He's saying that as good as "Kid A" is, Radiohead should have aimed for the mainstream instead. The fact is that dumbing yourself down for the mainstream these days seriously means dumbing yourself down for a bellweather audience that won't really care about your quality music. U2 couldn't get "Kite" played in every city's mainstream radio station much, so they bailed on a track in which they believed. The industry has to get less commercially-obsessed. The answer is not to dumb everything down, so a kid not really into music will suddenly be blown away. I don't have links because I read these things years ago, but the quotation you mentioned was one of them. Bono has made these comments in the past. Also this obsession with trying self-consciously trying to be like the Beatles in popularity is tragic and has led to some real creative mistakes by the band. How about trying to be U2 and not some neo-Beatles? He thinks the original route is a mistake, and it's pretty obvious, given the U2's last 2 albums.

Well maybe you are having a hard time understanding because it does come to you in the form of a sci fi TV show, but I don't see anything about dumbing down.

First you claimed Bono 'attacked' Kid A, then you said he just called it distant, now he's telling Thom to dumb down...

You seem to be backtracking.

And I have no clue what the hell you are talking about with Kite...:huh:

Read what Bono said again. I don't think he was suggesting that RH should change their musical style at all. I think his only complaint was that RH was actively hesitant to do videos and that sort of thing during the Kid A/Amnesiac era. There were no videos or singles for Kid A, and of the singles put out for Amnesiac(Knives Out and Pyramid Song), only Knives Out had a video. What I get from that quote is that Bono admires RH's work, including Kid A and Amnesiac, greatly, and that his critique is of RH's desire(or lackthereof) to promote themselves, and not of the music itself. Basically, he wishes that RH would care more about getting themselves on TV or radio because he wants the teenagers of the world, who too often are fooled into thinking American Idol shit(and other crap) is good music, to hear what really great music is. I mean, he could have used any band as an example of a band that should be on the radio instead of the shit that is, and the fact that he picked Radiohead to be his symbol of the great music that isn't reaching the masses should be taken as a huge compliment to RH.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Morning Bell / Amnesiac is better than the Kid A Morning Bell.

There I said it.

Two different interpretations of the song, I know, but the Amnesiac one just does more for me. When it gets to the "release me" bit... damn.

Yes, it's a much more emotional and powerful recording. It's warmer, and the irony is that for a song seemingly about divorce, it has a "light at the end of the tunnel" quality to it. It's the sound of freedom and liberation. Again, if this had been the version on Kid A, we wouldn't be arguing about it.

Muldfeld said:

Why do folks say this everytime they don't like the opinion....
I was extremely excited when I first heard The Killers and bought their album the first week it was out, but I got very bored after a month. Those songs aren't very good and I especially mean the newest album. As bad as some Radiohead tracks can be (and I admitted some CAN be), there's usually something admirable, but my main point was that the supposedly experimental, non-mainstream alternative route had yielded songs Brandon Flowers will likely never make in his life because his attitude is more like a nowadays Bono than a true artist. He's got all the pretentiousness and little of the talent.

But we're judging the Killers after a mere 2 albums. I'm sure that most music fans and critics from all quarters would argue that the Killers first two albums were better than October and Boy, and bear in mind there was nothing spectacularly experimental about U2's first 2 offerings.

And The Killers are making stadium rock, and the use of synth in this day and age still represents a kind of novelty and is still regarded as a bit "daggy." The Killers sounds still seems very alternative if you consider what saturates commercial radio world wide (lightweight bands like Hinder, Nickelback, Snow Patrol, The Fray) Indeed, your Killers/Bravery fan isn't gonna be part of any Emo/Punk/Mainstream/anti-mainstream scene. They'll be a music fan listening cause they like the music, not cause they need to fit in with any group (like U2 fans).

LemonMelon said:
Album comes out in like 23 hours :shocked:

HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT

I haven't listened to any of the live tracks since Xavi uploaded that zip file way back when. I cannot remember what any of them sound like. My mind is completely fresh for new Radiohead.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

It's almost here.

GibsonGirl said:

HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT
HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT

I haven't listened to any of the live tracks since Xavi uploaded that zip file way back when. I cannot remember what any of them sound like. My mind is completely fresh for new Radiohead.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

It's almost here.

I can't wait GG :dancing:

Videotape :drool:

i just hope thom's singing is better on the album than the live versions of these songs. the music sounds excellent though.

intedomine said:

But we're judging the Killers after a mere 2 albums. I'm sure that most music fans and critics from all quarters would argue that the Killers first two albums were better than October and Boy, and bear in mind there was nothing spectacularly experimental about U2's first 2 offerings.

And The Killers are making stadium rock, and the use of synth in this day and age still represents a kind of novelty and is still regarded as a bit "daggy." The Killers sounds still seems very alternative if you consider what saturates commercial radio world wide (lightweight bands like Hinder, Nickelback, Snow Patrol, The Fray) Indeed, your Killers/Bravery fan isn't gonna be part of any Emo/Punk/Mainstream/anti-mainstream scene. They'll be a music fan listening cause they like the music, not cause they need to fit in with any group (like U2 fans).

Personally, I'd take Boy and October to the first two Killers albums. They might not be as experimental as other post-punk/new wave bands of the era, but they made some good songs on 2 solid albums.

Right now, The Killers are trying to break out of that "'80s revival" group and do more substantial work. There's nothing wrong with that, I don't dislike them, but they aren't at any type of level yet. It doesn't help that Brandon Flowers comes off as a douchebag.

But this is about In Rainbows, and how we're all going to be listening to it in less than a day. :hyper:

So who is paying what? I put out 10 bucks which is what I think is a fair price for a cd or the equivalent.

"Faust ARP" is a totally different song, folks. I checked the blackboard from September 2005. Listed are tons of songs, and number 7 is Faust Arp. I was hoping it would be "Burn the White Witch" but that's listed further down, so it can't be that. I'm kinda sad because "Burn the White Witch" sounded so exciting and there was so much eagerness to even hear that little excerpt on that song and Thom has written lyrics for it and Jonny had an orchestra come in for it. (sighs)

To actually read the black board photo I copied it to my computer and magnified it.

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/index.php?a=84 Or Adriaan on ateaseweb has written out the decipherable songs:

On the left side of the board:
1. no shame
2. videotape
3. solutions
4. house of cards
5. bodysnatchers
6. morning m'lord
7. faust arp
8. suit don't fit
9. nude - strings/choir
10. arpeggi
11. open pick
12. a pig's ear
13. trills (i am walking on stage now)
14. reckoner
15. skirting on the surface
16. fela kuti thing
17. can stylee
18. burn the witch
19. down is the new up
20. i'm walking on stage now
21. last flowers

On the right side of the board:
I) 5ths/as videotape
II) eye of a needle
III) as sample vinyl e
IV) spot 12
V) ____
VI) 15 step thing
VII) ____
VIII) ____
IX) ____
X) _____

studio

1 big cheese
2 ____ /all i need - revueloops
3 bangers 'n mash
4 5/4 piano (sample)
5 burn the witch
6 bodies laughing/i can't ____
7 psr - Jonny loops - bbc

xaviMF22 said:
That first clip could be from anywhere, couldn't it?

Hey, trevster2k, you're from Newfoundland? I used to spend many summers there because my father worked there. I saw "Batman" in a cinema in St. John's.

Last edited:
wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!:sad::sad: :sad: :sad:

why oh why won't they put Lift on an album! It is SO BEAUTIFUL!!:drool: I am listening to it right now... I don't understand... I just don't..:sigh:

i have to leave the house at 10:30am since I'm going to London so if I don't manage to download and burn this album in 30 minutes I'll be crushed as I'll have a 3 hour coach journey with no new Radiohead!! :(

PLUS, xavi...just get up when you normally would and everyone will have rushed the website and got the album already :wink: no waiting or crashing I like to imagine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom