"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lancemc said:
Since Gibby brought up drum machines, I had an interesting idea about my own tastes toward this album.

The times when they use drum machines are actually my favorites here. A lot of my problems with these songs has to do with the percussion. I just don't like how it's mixed. I also happen to prefer drum machines over acoustic drums anyway, so no surprise there.

Well I'll take acoustic drums over machine anyday, but I do agree with you about this album, the live drumming sounds horrible, it's not only the mix, it's just weak at times... That's a big problem I have with this album.

But overall, it's growing on me, I'm burning a copy for my car, so I'll hold off on a final review until I hear it in there...

Faust Arp lyrics

One two three four

Wakey wakey
rise and shine
it's on again, off again, on again
watch me fall
like dominos
in pretty patterns
Fingers in the blackbird pie
im tingling, tingling, tingling
it's what you feel now
what you ought to, what you ought to
reasonable and sensible
dead from the neck up
because im stuck, stuck, stuck
we thought you had it in [you]
but no, no, no
for no real reason

Squeeze the tubes and empty bottles
take a bow, take a bow, take a bow
it's what you feel now
what you ought to
what you ought to
an elephant thats in the room is
tumbling, tumbling, tumbling,
in duplicate and duplicate
plastic bags and
duplicate and triplicate
dead from the neck up
I guess I'm stuck, stuck, stuck
we thought you had it in you
but no, no, no
exactly where do you get off
Is enough, is enough, is enough
I love you but enough is enough, enough
a last stop
There's no real reason

you've got a head full of feathers
you got melted to butter

:wink:

lol, i was also thinking of bad in terms of live v. studio versions. the version on unforgettable fire is great, but the live version on wide awake in america is kinda THE version for me.

Lancemc said:
You know, listening to Arpeggi again, I think I realized something about my general taste in music:

I don't like electric guitars.

mind telling what you think is wrong with Arpeggi?

I mean I love it :wink:

I don't like the orchestration or the mix of arpeggi. I don't like the way the guitars sound in the mix, and Thom's vocals need to come forward more. This song needed what they did with House of Cards. And I hate the break down after the Weird Fishes section.

xaviMF22 said:

they don't sound to different to the live version :shrug:

It's a different situation now though. In a live setting, drums only need to be really fucking loud, and that's it. The tambre of them here is horrible. Especially the snare and toms.

I did discover the chimes though this listen-through, so that makes me happy.

Lancemc said:
I don't like the orchestration of mix of arpeggi. I don't like the way the guitars sound in the mix, and Thom's vocals need to come forward more. This song needed what they did with House of Cards. And I hate the break down after the Weird Fishes section.

fair enough :wink:

but I love the break down..:drool:

and c'mon we got Ed doing backing vocals..thats a first since the Bends :shocked:

Lancemc said:
I really hope for their next album, if there ever is one, that they choose not to preview the songs on tour first.

They've done that now with both HTTT and In Rainbows almost in whole, and the results are much less satisfying to me than their work in the Kid A sessions.

i catch your meaning, though im pretty sure they previewed the majority of the kid a/amnesiac stuff in some of their summer 2000 shows (not sure if the studio versions were recorded yet). how to disappear completely was played live on the ok computer tour, and some okc songs (paranoid android, let down, airbag(?)) were previewed on the bends tour.

i think it's cool that they like to work out the new stuff in front of an audience and how the songs evolve. that being said, i would like to experience a new radiohead album "fresh" without any clue of what to expect.

bollox said:

i catch your meaning, though im pretty sure they previewed the majority of the kid a/amnesiac stuff in some of their summer 2000 shows (not sure if the studio versions were recorded yet). how to disappear completely was played live on the ok computer tour, and some okc songs (paranoid android, let down, airbag(?)) were previewed on the bends tour.

i think it's cool that they like to work out the new stuff in front of an audience and how the songs evolve. that being said, i would like to experience a new radiohead album "fresh" without any clue of what to expect.

yea they've always done this..since the days of the Bends.

The Amnesiac tracks were played live 10 months before the album was even released :wink:

Lancemc said:
Fine.

Well maybe they should just get a new producer then. :wink:

they started this album with Stent.

Apparently Thom didn't like him...and Thom loved what Nigel did for him on the Eraser..so he asked him to come back. :wink:

I remember reading that Ed and Jonny wanted to work with a new producer though.

It might be worth a shot. Godrich hasn't exactly been blowing me away with any of his work the past few years.

Might be time to move on.

Same goes for Beck.

I think another important factor with this particular album is that it doesn't really seem to go anywhere. It's sort of the same dynamic one song after another, no real builds or releases. Everything they've done so far has had a least a recognizable form to it for better or worse.

I'm so silly! I didn't pre-order and couldn't get onto the page yesterday as it took forever to load. Now they're asking for a user name and password! Do you think this will change?

Will just have to wait for the cd to be released... :(

I like Radiohead. And its all Zoomerang's fault. Years ago he forced me to give a few songs a listen, and I thought it was kinda weird at first, but I liked it. I prefer the older stuff though, The Bends is my favorite album, but I'm giving this one a listen and its not so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom