"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With every single Radiohead release I am never sure of what to think for a few days. My immediate impression is that this is an acoustic Ok Comp. It seems to have everything I love about Ok Comp, but without that good rockin' heavy punch (except for Bodysnatchers). I think Reckoner is my favorite at the moment, but there are 3-4 songs that could take its place before the weekend.

well, after my blunted In Rainbows session at approx 1:45 am last night I have to say I was a bit unsure about the favored right side of the imaging in 15 step. I kept fiddling with my input to my ipod to maybe get it to play on both sides of my system. Then i realized it was supposed to be like that so I listened on.

It felt like a bizarre dream. Like i was in a row boat with thom in some crazy ass landscape. And he kept talking about fishing.

Then, after it was all over, I realized my Ipod was on shuffle so the tracklisting was scrambled. Oh well. Whatever sequence it was in made it hard to get through the first 2 or three songs. Like i wanna say it mightve played the instrumental heavy tracks all at thefront and then all the more traditional sing songs were stacked at the end.

Short story long, the best one out the new songs was All I Need. :drool: :wink:

bgmckinney said:

People who know the live versions of videotape and reckoning may start to think the songs are somehow supposed to sound that way, and then have difficulty digesting how they actually sound on IR.

Well, I went to the 2006 concerts, and they played these songs live, so I couldn't help but hear them. (What? Was I supposed to close my ears just so as not to spoil the listening experience of an as-of-then non-existent album?)

And I don't think any song is "supposed" to sound any particular way. However, I am entitled, having heard both versions, to have an opinion as to which version I prefer and that I like better.

I like the live version of Videotape better. I'm not being negative. I'm stating my opinion based on empirical evidence.

Hmph!

Zoomerang96 said:

i can agree with that.

bangers and mash and up on the ladder would have been welcome additions for that reason.

But I can see how they eneded up bonus tracks, they're sound isn't in keeping with the rest of the tracks.

i do find i prefer the version of a song that i hear initially, which could explain why im pretty down on the studio videotape.

i did not hear the live versions of open pick, er, jigsaw, so mayhaps i can test out this theory.

FitzChivalry said:

Well, I went to the 2006 concerts, and they played these songs live, so I couldn't help but hear them. (What? Was I supposed to close my ears just so as not to spoil the listening experience of an as-of-then non-existent album?)

And I don't think any song is "supposed" to sound any particular way. However, I am entitled, having heard both versions, to have an opinion as to which version I prefer and that I like better.

I like the live version of Videotape better. I'm not being negative. I'm stating my opinion based on empirical evidence.

Hmph!

i completely agreee with you.. I don't like what they did to Videotape.. The live version is way better and that is the version I love.. :wink:

Not that there's anything wrong with TUF's Bad, but I also like In Rainbow's Videotape, it's different but I don't think its weak.

Since Gibby brought up drum machines, I had an interesting idea about my own tastes toward this album.

The times when they use drum machines are actually my favorites here. A lot of my problems with these songs has to do with the percussion. I just don't like how it's mixed. I also happen to prefer drum machines over acoustic drums anyway, so no surprise there.

Lancemc said:
Since Gibby brought up drum machines, I had an interesting idea about my own tastes toward this album.

The times when they use drum machines are actually my favorites here. A lot of my problems with these songs has to do with the percussion. I just don't like how it's mixed. I also happen to prefer drum machines over acoustic drums anyway, so no surprise there.

I think Phil does wonders here :wink:

damn Lance I wish you liked it :mad: :(

xaviMF22 said:

I think Phil does wonders here :wink:

damn Lance I wish you liked it :mad: :(

I do like it. I like it alot. It's just far short of what I expected from Radiohead at this point.

It will probalby end up near the bottom of my top 5 for the year.

Listening to it now for the first time but I cannot make any comments till the 2nd or 3rd time through.

I really hope for their next album, if there ever is one, that they choose not to preview the songs on tour first.

They've done that now with both HTTT and In Rainbows almost in whole, and the results are much less satisfying to me than their work in the Kid A sessions.

Lancemc said:
I really hope for their next album, if there ever is one, that they choose not to preview the songs on tour first.

They've done that now with both HTTT and In Rainbows almost in whole, and the results are much less satisfying to me than their work in the Kid A sessions.

but I mean they've always done that...:shrug:

I don't think they'll stop..

and in away lots of us got too attached to these live versions....but those were just work in progress :wink:

Lancemc said:
Work in progress maybe, but some were clearly superior to their final incarnation.

I'm not disagreeing there...thats the case with videotape.:wink:

but the rest of the songs were done justice....I love all of them :love:

You know, listening to Arpeggi again, I think I realized something about my general taste in music:

I don't like electric guitars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom