"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've usually found that my favorite music took some time to grasp. So I'll hope Mr Brau's early assessment means this has a lot of depth and will need a lot of listens.

But I'm glad most seem to be liking it already. :)

namkcuR said:
Return to their rook roots? Are we listening to the same record? The only rock here is Bodysnatchers.

:lol: When I first heard Bodysnatchers this morning I thought "Nice to hear them return to their rock roots!"

1st half is perfect.

Open Pick sounded like something off The Eraser though, that's not a bad thing.

Nude and All I Need are probably my favorite ballads that they've ever done.

Just finished my first proper listen (meaning with good headphones) and I am indeed blown away. I did not listen to the previous versions, so everything was a surprise.

The sequence Nude > Weird Fishes/Arpeggi > All I Need is :bow:

The best 15 minutes of music in recent years...

elevated_u2_fan said:

Sorry, I've been in and out of this thread earlier when you guys were talking leading up to the release, which song is Open Pick? 15 Step?

I'm sorry, I meant 15 Step. I always confuse those two.

Open Pick = Jigsaw Falling into Place.

You know, after hearing Rainbows twice last night, I did a scan through a handful of songs on HTTT, and the album is a lot less cluttered. They were trying something different with each song, instead of trying to cram 15 diferent things into each one like they have with Rainbows. I hate to second guess bands that have proven themselves time and time again, but I can't shake the feeling this one was overcooked.

Lance, you're saying it's bad production not over production, and while that's slightly true as Radiohead are always heavily produced, it's still overproduction that's the problem. I think too many things were added to hold up the songs, mostly when they weren't needed, and I specifically it's still All I Need, House of Cards, and Videotape that are suffering to me the most. The first two songs are amazing enough to overcome the problem, but the last one really reeks of "could've been", and I haven't even heard the old versions. It's probably the least successful closing song since...well, whatever the hell is the last song on Pablo Honey, I never listen to that album so I have no idea what song it is.

Lance, have you come to a decision yet on HTTT vs Rainbows yet? I think I'll probably putting this on more often, but that's because it's shorter. HTTT is a greater accomplishment overall, and I stand by what I said before--it's 10 best tracks stack up STRONGLY against Rainbows.

What I chose:

1. 2+2=5
2. Sit Down, Stand Up
3. Backdrifts
4. Go to Sleep
5. Where I End and You Begin
6. There There
7. Punchup at a Wedding
8. Myxamatosis
9. Scatterbrain
10. Wolf at the Door

Also, someone was saying a few pages ago that HTTT sounded too much like Kid A/Amnesiac. I don't agree with that at all; it's much more organic than its predecessors. If anything, Rainbows sounds more like it could have come out between Amnesiac and HTTT, considering all the electronic detailing.

2+2=5 > 15 Step
Sail To The Moon > Bodysnatchers
Backdrifts > Nude
Go To Sleep > Arpeggi
Where I End And You Begin > All I Need(but it was close)
There There > Faust Arp
I Will < Reckoner(barely)
Punchup At A Wedding > House Of Cards
Myxamtosis/Scatterbrain > Jigsaw
A Wolf At The Door > Videotape

9 to 1

lazarus said:
1. 2+2=5
2. Sit Down, Stand Up
3. Backdrifts
4. Go to Sleep
5. Where I End and You Begin
6. There There
7. Punchup at a Wedding
8. Myxamatosis
9. Scatterbrain
10. Wolf at the Door

Switch Punchup with Sail to the Moon and that's a perfect album for me.

Upon first listen, I really dig it, probably because I stayed away from most of the live tracks because of shit audio quality. Down Is the New Up and All I Need were the only two tracks I kept listening to, and one's a "bonus track," so it's all good in December I guess.

I can't rank this with the other albums, but it goes in front of Pablo Honey by default. Thom's voice really doesn't bother me on this album as opposed to parts of Hail to the Thief and half of Amnesiac. I'm going to try listening to this back-to-back with The Eraser sometime, that might be interesting. This album does suffer from some bits of overproduction, but it isn't too distracting (other than the drums at the end of Videotape.)

Nude, All I Need, Arpeggi, and Jigsaw / Open Pick are the ones that stacked up with the Radiohead discography for me right away.

Nude, All I Need,

2+2=5 > 15 Step
Sail To The Moon < Bodysnatchers
Backdrifts > Nude
Go To Sleep > Arpeggi
Where I End And You Begin < All I Need(but it was close)
There There = Faust Arp
I Will < Reckoner(barely)
Punchup At A Wedding < House Of Cards
Myxamtosis/Scatterbrain > Jigsaw
A Wolf At The Door > Videotape

HTTT 5
IR 4
= 1

LemonMelon said:
So...what should the first single be?

I'll say Bodysnatchers, followed by All I Need.

none of the songs sound single worthy

I mean I though videotape...would have been a single....but its as if the band changed it completely so it wont be a single :wink:

Hey, Xavi.

I don't want to wade through 46 pages (and God knows how many in the previous threads), do you have links to a couple really great live Videotapes? I have the Basement version on my MySpace page, but I was thinking maybe a couple other great versions from the tour?

Thanks. Again, you rock with your sharing kindness! :wink:

Jonny interview

16822932-16822935-slarge.jpg

Unlike the fans who haven’t removed their headphones since 2 a.m., Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood is able to focus something other than In Rainbows right now: We talked to him this morning for an upcoming story about his experimental orchestral work, Popcorn Superhet Receiver, which will be making its U.S. debut in New York this January. But Greenwood was also kind enough to share some thoughts about his band’s industry-shaking new album. Here’s a sample:
Why did you choose to release the album this way?
Partly just to get it out quickly, so everyone would hear it at the same time, and partly because it was an experiment that felt worth trying, really.
Why the variable pricing?
It’s fun to make people stop for a few seconds and think about what music is worth, and that’s just an interesting question to ask people.
How would you respond to complaints about the sound quality – that 160 isn’t a high enough bitrate?
I don’t know, we talked about it and we just wanted to make it a bit better than iTunes, which it is, so that’s kind of good enough, really. It’s never going to be CD quality, because that’s what CD does.
What goals did you have for the album itself?
I suppose we wanted to get back slightly to Kid A in that we were spending longer experimenting and trying stuff out — it wasn’t so much of a performance-based thing, like Hail to the Thief. Other than that, it’s the usual thing of turning up with these songs and the pressure is, “Don’t fuck it up, don’t record them badly, don’t do bad arrangements of them, and do them justice.” So that’s what we’ve done.
What are your touring plans?
That’s exactly what we finally started talking about. Now that the album’s out, we can get together exactly how and where we’re going to tour.

:drool:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...-make-people-think-about-what-music-is-worth/

FitzChivalry said:
Hey, Xavi.

I don't want to wade through 46 pages (and God knows how many in the previous threads), do you have links to a couple really great live Videotapes? I have the Basement version on my MySpace page, but I was thinking maybe a couple other great versions from the tour?

Thanks. Again, you rock with your sharing kindness! :wink:

do you want youtube links? :wink:

16822932-16822935-slarge.jpg

Unlike the fans who haven’t removed their headphones since 2 a.m., Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood is able to focus something other than In Rainbows right now: We talked to him this morning for an upcoming story about his experimental orchestral work, Popcorn Superhet Receiver, which will be making its U.S. debut in New York this January. But Greenwood was also kind enough to share some thoughts about his band’s industry-shaking new album. Here’s a sample:
Why did you choose to release the album this way?
Partly just to get it out quickly, so everyone would hear it at the same time, and partly because it was an experiment that felt worth trying, really.
Why the variable pricing?
It’s fun to make people stop for a few seconds and think about what music is worth, and that’s just an interesting question to ask people.
How would you respond to complaints about the sound quality – that 160 isn’t a high enough bitrate?
I don’t know, we talked about it and we just wanted to make it a bit better than iTunes, which it is, so that’s kind of good enough, really. It’s never going to be CD quality, because that’s what CD does.
What goals did you have for the album itself?
I suppose we wanted to get back slightly to Kid A in that we were spending longer experimenting and trying stuff out — it wasn’t so much of a performance-based thing, like Hail to the Thief. Other than that, it’s the usual thing of turning up with these songs and the pressure is, “Don’t fuck it up, don’t record them badly, don’t do bad arrangements of them, and do them justice.” So that’s what we’ve done.
What are your touring plans?
That’s exactly what we finally started talking about. Now that the album’s out, we can get together exactly how and where we’re going to tour.

very interesting..especially about the kid a bit :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom