"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, In Rainbows is dominating Last FM right now. Essentially everyone on my friends list who's listened to any music in the last few hours was listening to it.

:sad: No matter what happens now
I shouldn't be afraid
Because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen.

Still a great line...still a great song. Let the live versions go. (they were overrated to begin with :shh: )

I think it's hilarious how the very first postings when I woke up this morning were "I'm disappointed", and now everybody seems to love it.

:up:

I can't wait to crank this thing up on some great speakers later. 15 Step and Bodysnatchers will be even better, if that's possible.

Now starting spin #3.

15 Step still sounds good. Sounds like something from HTTT.

And I'd have to argue that the problem here is not precisely overproduction necessarily, just bad production.

namkcuR said:
I'd give up the rest of the record for Reckoner. The song is that good.

Agreed. Reckoner is easily the most freshing and accomplished some here, if not quite the best.

Well, now it's time to wait for the 8 bonus tracks, and see if we can piece together a more solid 10-track album from 18. :wink:

Somebody has to take xavi's place, so I'll just say:

:drool: Nude...it's incredible on headphones.

I'm listening to IR with a crossfade right now. It's pretty cool this way.

I'm one Videotape away from completing my third run through. Arpeggi and 15 Step are my favorites, I reckon.

I'm still having trouble loving Arpeggi, given it's just so different from what I imagined it could have been. I'm liking it a bit more though.

I keep wishing I might have been allowed to advice ont he production on this album, and even mix it. It could have been so much more.

I feel the same way Lance. There are so many little things I would tweak on this album.

One of the first things I would do is add down is the new up in an 'electioneering' position. An upbeat rocker would do well around song 7 or 8 imo.

Videotape should not have been a closer. That's for sure.

If anything, House of Card or All I Need would have done a much better job. Or "Lift". They ressurect all these old songs for this album (including the bonus disc) but not their best? Shananigans.

namkcuR said:
Reckoner should be the first single because it's easily the most catchy, radio-friendly song on the record.

Just got to it again. :up: Definitely.

It reminds me of Knives Out, only a lot less annoying.

Lancemc said:

Just got to it again. :up: Definitely.

It reminds me of Knives Out, only a lot less annoying.

Interesting that it would remind you of Knives Out...Knives Out was sort of driven by a grove, a subtle momentum....but Reckoner is totally melody all the way through.

And I will say this: If Reckoner's melody doesn't make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, you have no soul. True story. :wink:

I don't really hear that much of a difference to be honest. I mean, Reckoner is defintely less reliant on it's rhythm, but the orchestration and mix sounds remarkably similar.

The more I think about it actually, the more this album reminds me of Amnesiac. Except it doesn't have a "Kid A" immediately preceeding it to make it worthwhile. ;)

Dalton said:

One of the first things I would do is add down is the new up in an 'electioneering' position. An upbeat rocker would do well around song 7 or 8 imo.

I can't wait to hear what they've done with Down is the New Up. A lot of people seemed not to like it on the tour but I thought it had great potential.

I finally got the album, and I have to say it's fantastic! I love the overall sound and feel of IR, and it's great to hear Radiohead return to their rock roots.

I'm only on my first listen and halfway through, but I'll give a more extended review later. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom