R2D2, unsung hero of Star Wars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Have any of you Star Wars fanboys ever heard the theory about this? I think Artoo is the real hero of the saga, not the Skywalkers or Han Solo.

there are fangirls as well as fanboys

and everyone knows that no one would have survived if it wasn't for R2

bonosgirl84 said:
there are fangirls as well as fanboys

and everyone knows that no one would have survived if it wasn't for R2

Didn't mean to offend with fanboy comment but it is usual term to refer to hardcore fans of stuff, bonosgirl84:wink:

How bout fanpersons,:wink:

Yeah, R2 saves everyone in every movie so far, and he knows everything about the everyone. He rules.

I haven't seen Sith yet but I'm sure he does something remarkable in that film also.

I live in a tiny northern British Columbia community with one theater. I just saw Sin City last night and according to the theater preview posters, until at least June 6th, no Star Wars. I have to drive 3 hours south to go see it.

No way is R2-D2 the unsung hero. He's definitely more useful than C-3PO, but come on... does he blow up the Death Star (either time)? Confront Vader twice? At best, he's Luke's assistant (Death Star run, lightsaber trick in Return Of The Jedi) and faithful companion.

Actually, if you want to get into it (and I do), I have a tough time finding a hero for the whole story arc. Kenobi is a failed hero. Anakin winds up saving the day in Episode VI, but that's only beecause of Luke, who is probably the closest thing to a hero in the entire trilogy. Han Solo isn't the hero by any stretch of the imagination, even if he is a critical character.

Sorry, thoughts are a bit incoherent at this hour...

Last edited:
knox said:
No way is R2-D2 the unsung hero. He's definitely more useful than C-3PO, but come on... does he blow up the Death Star (either time)? Confront Vader twice? At best, he's Luke's assistant (Death Star run, lightsaber trick in Return Of The Jedi) and faithful companion.

But it's Artoo who carried the plans for the Death Star so that a weakness could be found...

He alerts Han, Luke and Obi-Wan to Leia being aboard the Death Star, otherwise she would have been executed.

He repaired the Millenium Falcon in Empire so that Luke, Leia and Lando could escape, and rescue Han later.

Artoo is totally the hero! :wink:

R2-D2 had a significant role in Sith, too. Especially at the beginning.

Don't forget, he saved everyone in the trash compactor as well.

If it weren't for him, there would have been no Luke Skywalker fulfilling his destiny.

Here is how I see it.

Star Wars

-Carries Death Star plans, finds Leia on Death Star, stops trash compactor from crushing everyone, copilots Luke's X-wing fixing stabilizers and putting out fires

Empire

-opens door to allow everyone to get on the Falcon, disperses fog to confuse troopers as they get on the Falcon, fixes warp drive on Falcon to allow everyone to escape, meets Yoda

Jedi

-carries Luke's lightsaber into Jabba's Lair, saves 3P0 by pushing him off Jabba's ship before it blows up, sacrifices himself attempting to open back door of base on Endor

Phantom Menace

- fixes warp drive and shields during Padme's escape from Naboo, co-pilots Anakin during his destruction of control ship

Clones

-saves Padme from becoming goo when she is stuck in bucket,

Plus he knows everything about the whole saga, he knows Obi-Wan, who built C3P0, the mother of Luke and Leia,etc. and never spills the beans, he keeps a good secret

His contributions while not dynamic and exciting have been life or death which could have ended the saga before it began.

But do you see any posters of R2 in promos or interviews with him, Nooooooo, it's all about the Jedi, or Han Solo, or the Wookies. R2 is getting a raw deal. He needs a better agent.:wink:

Hehe. That was an especially nice touch, having the memories of C3P0, who would have blabbed, wiped out, but leaving R2D2's. I really liked that. :wink:

Ant.

So explain to me why R2 can pwn everyone and everything in Episode III but doesn't do anything like that in IV, V, or VI.

Shooting flames? Shooting oil? Popping his own metal ass out of the ships? He needed a crane to lift him into the X Wing!

:shrug: , I haven't seen Sith yet but does he really shoot flames?

"Lucas got a lotta explainin' ta do"-Desi Arnez in I Love Lucas :wink:

Someone posted earlier they would like to see Lucas release a book explaining everything. It would never happen because there are too many discrepancies. Don't get me wrong, the attempt to create and unite two trilogies is ambitious but not flawless.

trevster2k said:

Someone posted earlier they would like to see Lucas release a book explaining everything. It would never happen because there are too many discrepancies. Don't get me wrong, the attempt to create and unite two trilogies is ambitious but not flawless.

Lucas won't write a book, but there will be plenty of novels written that take place between Episode III and IV (there are already quite a few, but I bet some new ones will happen that help explain things). And these books, while not by Lucas himself, will still get the Lucasfilm approval.

In one of the MAD magazine parodies of the movie, they had R2 hacking Padme's cell phone and getting pics of her and Anakin doing it "Jedi style" and putting them online causing controversy :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom