R.I.P. Steve Howe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. BAW

ONE love, blood, life
Former major league pitcher Steve Howe killed in truck accident
By BEN WALKER, AP Baseball Writer
April 28, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Steve Howe, the relief pitcher whose promising career was derailed by cocaine and alcohol abuse, died Friday when his pickup truck rolled over in Coachella, Calif. He was 48.

Howe was killed at 5:55 a.m. PDT, said Dalyn Backes of the Riverside County coroner's office. The accident occurred about 130 miles east of Los Angeles.

Howe was the 1980 NL Rookie of the Year with the Los Angeles Dodgers, and helped them win the World Series the next year.

But for all of Howe's success on the field, the hard-throwing lefty was constantly troubled by addictions -- he was suspended seven times and became a symbol of the rampant cocaine problem that plagued baseball in the 1980s.

"Steve played for me for five years and I thought the world of him," former Dodgers manager Tom Lasorda said. "I am truly sorry to hear about his passing and my deepest sympathies go out to his family."

There was a moment of silence at Yankee Stadium before New York played Toronto on Friday night. Howe played for the Yankees from 1991-1996.

Howe was 47-41 with 91 saves and a 3.03 ERA with the Dodgers, Minnesota, Texas and Yankees. His final season in the majors was 1996, and the Yankees released him in June.

Two days after the Yankees let him go, Howe was arrested at a Delta Airlines terminal at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport when a loaded .357 Magnum was detected inside his suitcase. He later pleaded guilty to gun possession and was placed on three years probation and given 150 hours of community service.

Howe tried a comeback in 1997 with Sioux Falls of the independent Northern League. In August, he was critically injured in a motorcycle accident in Montana and charged with drunken driving.

Updated on Friday, Apr 28, 2006 7:13

For all of his later problems, he was always one of my favorite pitchers. I remember the '81 World Series. I rooted for the Dodgers because of him.

Rest in peace.

BonosSaint said:
For all of his later problems, he was always one of my favorite pitchers. I remember the '81 World Series. I rooted for the Dodgers because of him.

Rest in peace.
Grew up a Dodger fan since the days of the LA Coliseum; Howe had so much potential; its a shame as he now leaves a wife and 2 children...:sad:

When he was playing for the Yankees, he rehabbed at a game in our Triple A stadium--as full of the Steve Howe attitude and play as always. He was always a joy to watch. I will miss him.

I have one of his Texas Ranger jerseys and a pair of his cleats.

Back
Top Bottom