R.I.P. Family Patriarch George Osmond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carek1230

Blue Crack Overdose Get me off the internetz!
Osmond Dad Dies; Marie MIA from Dancing

by Gina Serpe

George Osmond, the patriarch of one of showbiz's most successful singing clans, died at his Utah home Tuesday morning at the age of 90.

The news was confirmed by Marie Osmond's publicist, who said the performer would in turn be absent from the Dancing with the Stars results show, as she and her eight siblings head back home.

On Monday's show, the 48-year-old Dancing queen dedicated her performance of a WWII-inspired quickstep to her parents. Olive and George Osmond met after his tour of duty and danced together to earn money. Olive passed away in 2004.

The tribute dance earned Osmond a score of 28 out of 30 and a peck on the cheek from big brother Donny, who watched from the audience.

While Marie's publicist, Marleah Leslie, told E! News that Osmond would not be present for Tuesday's elimination, she did not immediately know whether Osmond would continue on the show or the just-announced tour, which kicks off Dec. 18 in Seattle.

It's also uncertain whether George's death will affect the Osmond family's scheduled appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show Friday.

Under the tutelage of George and Olive, sons Alan, Wayne, Merill, Jay and Donny became international sensations and multimedia stars. Later joined by Marie and younger brother Jimmy, the Osmonds sold million of albums, toured widely and appeared on several TV shows, including their own 1970s cartoon and, most famously, the Donny & Marie show. (Two older brothers, Tom and Virl, were born deaf and not part of the family act.)

In August, the Osmonds marked their 50th anniversary with a special Vegas concert. Donny has since said the family would tour in 2008.

Marie Osmond becomes the second Dancing contestant to lose a parent this season. Jane Seymour's 92-year-old mother, Mieke Frankenberg, died Oct. 1, just one week into the competition.

Like Osmond, Seymour bowed out of the following night's results show, but returned from England the following week and dedicated her remaining routines to her mother. According to Seymour, her mother was a major fan of the program and the reason the actress signed up.

Osmond's loss is doing nothing to dispel the notion of a Dancing curse.

Last month, the mother of eight fainted on-camera after performing the samba, leaving professional dancer Jonathan Roberts to tend to his fallen partner and host Tom Bergeron to quickly cut to commercial break.Osmond said the fainting spell was nothing unusual for her and that she's prone to such spells when she gets particularly winded.

The apparent jinx has extended to guest performers as well. The same week as Osmond's televised tumble, Jennifer Lopez was forced to pretape her performance to attend the funeral of her maternal grandmother.

A week earlier, Gloria Estefan scrapped her appearance entirely to return to Miami to be by her mother's bedside after she underwent emergency surgery.

Copyright 2007 E! Entertainment Television, Inc. All rights reserved.

It's very sad to hear about George's passing. :sad:

My thoughts go out to the entire Osmond family during this difficult time. :up:

Although, I'm very happy that the Osmonds have settled their family differences and reunited again. :yippie:

I can't wait to see them all on Oprah this Friday. Donny already mentioned on the program, Inside Edition, that it will be a very emotional show. The family is guesting on Oprah because it's a tribute to their father. They are supposed to perform on the Oprah show ... and Donny & Marie are going to sing their closing song ("May Tomorrow Be A Perfect Day") from the Donny & Marie Show era. Donny also said how he truly believes there will not be one 'dry eye' in the whole studio. :(

Who watched the Oprah show and coverage of the Osmond gathering and funeral services? I watched Oprah's show. It was so amazing seeing the way that family of 125 or so was organized and travelled to do the show in Chicago, and how they have supported one another through the years especially now. I've always liked the Osmonds, admired their family unity, enjoyed their entertainment and talents (Like J Coster, Donny was my first Bono also!!) So in a way I felt like I lost a bit of a family leader with the death of George Osmond. Their family will continue to grow and survive, I just hope they don't use their father's death as an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon to cash in on it.

Back
Top Bottom