R.E.M vs Radiohead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Radiohead no fucking question...

both are great bands though

although if there was no R.E.M there would be no radiohead so..:shrug:

Yahweh_OMG said:
REM to me......:reject:

No reason to hide. REM is one of the greatest alt bands of all time. Nirvana may have broken alternative into the mainstream, but REM may be the most influential. I just think their current incarnation is boring so Radiohead wins as they are still brilliant.

Radiohead, because I feel they have been consistently brilliant since the release of The Bends. I like REM, just not as much as Radiohead.

bsp77 said:
Radiohead, because REM has gone downhill since Bill Berry left.

This is true, but REM had what 10 proper albums before this happened, Radiohead only have 6...

So only time will tell with this.

I love both.. been a fan of R.E.M since 87 but I much prefer their older stuff.

No comparison possible. They're in very different leagues.
Both were big in their own leagues.
I think that REM has had its time, despite I like very much their last album. They just turned off the "automatic pilot" mode, but it's one of the greatest bands ever alive.
Radiohead is a band that has no explanation for its courage and grandness, but they're starting to bore me and to eneve me for the lazyness (a la U2) and the exgerated perfection. And I didn't find the Yorke's album no big deal compared to Radiohead's best albums.

Aygo said:
And I didn't find the Yorke's album no big deal compared to Radiohead's best albums.

:ohmy: Here's where I have to disagree with you, mate. I think Thom Yorke's The Eraser is great and stands shoulder to shoulder with Radiohead's albums.

REM gave Thom yorke the line for how to disappear completely, but besides that Radiohead has been much more solid

radiohead because, except for one song, i could never get into rem. and i even tried :shrug:

bsp77 said:

Which song?
leave :up:

i have new adventures in hi-fi around here somewhere.

but for the most part, i'm really quite ambivalent towards rem.

Radiohead by a mile, but I do really like REM.

Radiohead have much more creative ways of creating atmosphere in their music, and are just plain amazing songwriters. Whether they perform a song with just an acoustic guitar, or a full band with 1000 electronic effects, they always sound original and fresh. There are radiohead songs that NOBODY could have come up with except radiohead :p

lmjhitman said:

leave :up:

i have new adventures in hi-fi around here somewhere.

:drool:

GibsonGirl said:
Radiohead, because I feel they have been consistently brilliant since the release of The Bends. I like REM, just not as much as Radiohead.

I agree, overall. Have you heard New Adventures in Hi-Fi? It's easily my favourite REM album. :drool:

There's a lush, yet desolate sound to the songs. I also think that it represents the band at the height of their experimentation, and in that sense, some of it shares a Radiohead sensibility.

Interestingly, I've also read that this is Thom Yorke's favourite REM album. He's actually performed a few of the songs (Be Mine, E-Bow The Letter) with the band.

is this a joke?

A legend of band vs. a band with 2 great records?

Radiohead have ALOT to prove before they can even be mentioned in the same breath with REM.

Last edited:
This is somewhat reminiscent of the Bono Vs. Moz thread....
and while I like both REM & Radiohead, & think they're both very fucking fantastic bands..

Personally Radiohead hits a spot with me, I don't know what it is....Airbag, Fake Plastic Trees, How To Disappear ( :bow: ).., National Anthem, Wolf At The Door, Idioteque, No Surpises, Black Star....that blows me away everytime, they suck me in from the very first note to the very last. Radiohead are one of the few artists in which I have enough interest to know their catalouge inside out, and while I like some songs betetr than others, I never have to press 'shuffle' when I put their entire music on my ipod.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom