R.E.M. - Up & over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salome

you are what you is
Up has always been one of my favourite R.E.M. albums
lately I've also been listening a lot to Around the Sun and I also like that one really very very much
it's such an incredible intelligent album
should Reveal ever grow om me then I might actually consider that this band is as good as - if not better - than they ever were

thought you all would want to know this

I listened to UP for the fierst time last night. Much better than I was expecting. I'd always loved the song At My Most Beautiful, but I figured they wouldn't be as good a band without Bill. Could take Murmur's spot as my second favorite REM album with time.

I like Up, but I don't like Reveal much at all. It has some good tracks, but the rest is terrible filler. After my bad experience with Reveal and all of the horrifically bad reviews I read for Around the Sun, I never purchased it. How do you sell an album with a lead single like "Leaving New York"?

That all said, I still personally prefer their first two albums to anything else in their catalog.

Up is awesome! Suspicion, Hope, At My Most Beautiful, Daysleeper, Walk Unafraid, The Apologist, Sad Professor etc. are songs I never tire of. But I've totally lost track of them since then and only know single material like Imitation Of Life, Bad Day and Leaving New York.

u2popmofo said:
I like Up, but I don't like Reveal much at all. It has some good tracks, but the rest is terrible filler. After my bad experience with Reveal and all of the horrifically bad reviews I read for Around the Sun, I never purchased it.

This is my exact experience. Around the Sun has been the only REM album I haven't bought.

Up is the only post Berry album I listen to...

Zootlesque said:
Up is awesome! Suspicion, Hope, At My Most Beautiful, Daysleeper, Walk Unafraid, The Apologist, Sad Professor etc. are songs I never tire of. But I've totally lost track of them since then and only know single material like Imitation Of Life, Bad Day and Leaving New York.

you forgot Lotus.

"*funky beat*...HEY HEY!"

Throw me in that camp too. I've been an R.E.M. fanatic since 1990 (my favorite albums are Lifes Rich Pageant and New Adventures in Hi-Fi), and I was really surprised at how much I loved Up. I feel like the spirit of Bill was still with them at that point.

I was equally surprised at how much I thought Reveal sucked, and I have yet to change my opinion. Total snorefest. Bleeps and bloops on the ballads, strings on the rockers. Just an abomination. Worst album I've ever heard from a band I love. And
I was streaming Around the Sun on MySpace before it came out (bad move, guys), and while it sounded like a bit of an improvement, it also seemed like a weak attempt to recapture past glories (Q-Tip on The Outsiders=KRS-One on Radio Song?). By the time the album actually came out I had listened to it 3 times and was bored to death. It was especially disheartening considering the two "new" songs on the In Time collection the year before were pretty rocking.

Stick a fork in them, they're done.

I do still think + agree that Reveal is a mix up of some great songs and some horrendous fillers :D

Around the Sun has got an unfair bad rep though
ok, it rocks about as much as Enio Morricone, but it has some very intelligent and beautiful lyrics + melodies

Besides for about 2/3 of Up and snippets of Reveal and Around the Sun, post Bill Berry REM is :down:

Back
Top Bottom