R.E.M. tour, new album....thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stories for Boys

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
so, here we come upon another exciting r.e.m. year...the first new single, "leaving new york," will be released sept. 27/8 and the new album, "around the sun," will be released oct 4/5.

tour dates for the upcoming tour were announced less than a week ago, and the fanclub pre-sale has already passed.

me, i couldn't be more excited...rumors have the album "very political" and the first single is supposedly full of piano and very beautiful. as for the tour, i've got 11th row tickets for st. louis, and 6th row and 2nd row tickets for the two chicago shows. all three of these shows are in theaters. some of the dates are arenas, but many are mid-sized theaters with capacities around 4000. very intimate.

anyone else planning on trying to get tickets? any other fanclubbers holding tickets already? any thoughts on the new album?

i can't believe it's been almost a year already since i saw them last.

if they come to las vegas again, i'll go. :up:

I really want to see them in SLC. I've still never seen them in concert (one of my friend's brothers screwed us over during the Monster tour and gave the tickets he'd promised us to some other douchebags), and they're a band I've always told myself I'd like to make the goal to see.

I'm really not sure what to expect album-wise with it being self proclaimed 'very political' by the band. Hopefully that doesn't turn out as crappy as it sounds to me right now. I'm sure there will be some really good songs on it. I just really hope they can make another consistant/memorable CD, their last 2 have had a little to desire in that respect (solid albums for the most part, but quite forgettable).

Last edited:
My friend is a member of the fan club. I just received word he had very good luck with the pre-sale for the Atlanta show, like 3rd row good. Yippie!!

zoney! said:
I may go seem them in Thunder Bay (no joke).

i swear the reason they're playing there is the first line from the minus 5's "forgotten fridays"...

"we went on vacation to boston and thunder bay..."

i'm currently working out a plane ticket back from st. louis so i won't miss more than one day of work...i've been pretty damn excited ever since i ordered my tickets yesterday...or, since they posted the dates, really...

Part of the 'Perfect Square' dvd includes a mini documentary of REM in concert at Stirling Castle in Scotland. In one of the interviews Peter Buck explained that they chose to play at Stirling Castle partly because he grew up in a small town where you didn't have a hope of ever seeing a concert there because no one ever played there....Thunder Bay is that sort of town too.

I'm going to be at the St. Louis show - I'm excited about the venue as well - the Fox theater which is an old ornate oprea type hall - the tickets are only 65 for the best seats - go REM!

i just hope musically the album is better than reveal.

as for the tour, i can't wait.

yeah can't say I like that clip a lot

ah well, still more than hopeful for the album though :up:

doesn't sound too bad, eh?

I mean, it could be worse

but it's not like we need any more damn songs with new york in the title

'Around the Sun' tracklisting:

1. Leaving New York
2. Electron Blue
3. The Outsiders
4. Make It All Ok
5. Final Straw
6. I Wanted To Be Strong
7. Wanderlust
8. Boy In The Well
9. Aftermath
10. High Speed Train
11. The Worst Joke Over
12. The Ascent Of Man
13. Around The Sun

So the single has gone to radio -- has anybody heard it? I like it a lot, but that might be just me... I hope to be hearing it!

Good song, just not lead single stuff. I hope this isn't the most "rocking" song on the album though. Bad Day may have been a brother to It's The End of The World, but it was nice to hear the band rock again, something their last 2 records have had none of.

curse my blasted computer connection.

i think i like what i've heard (the clip, not the whole song), but as mrbrau mentioned about the rocking or rather lack of rocking...

:shrug: i am optimistic.

Salome said:
yeah can't say I like that clip a lot

ah well, still more than hopeful for the album though :up:
see that's why I never d/l U2 snippets

as much as those 44 seconds didn't do much for me
as much as I loved listening to the entire song

that second verse entirely won me over
Michael Stipe is my #2 hero

Yeah I got fanclub tickets for fourth row in Indy, woo hoo! :combust:

I'm a die-hard R.E.M. fan so of course I like their new single. They've had differing styles over the years and I like all of them depending on the mood I'm in. "Leaving New York" does seem like a "slow burner" as opposed to a rocker. I doubt they'll ever be as rocky as Monster again. However I've heard the new album has a more "band" sound to it. I guess time will tell. . .

In the meantime I'm very, very looking foward to seeing the band up close and personal!

I know what you're saying about Thunder Bay. I think they do the same coming to Blossom at Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. They play Cuyahoga every time they go there I bet :hmm: I wonder if they'll have music requests again?

Heh heh, Stipe is my #2 hero as well :lol:

I think that this song has a bit more of a "band" feel than the last couple albums. But for a first single this is a bad choice. It's almost like they're trying not to succeed. I think the chorus is beautiful by the way. :)

Back
Top Bottom