R.E.M. to debut song on AC 360

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
R.E.M. debuting song on 'AC 360°'

* Story Highlights
* R.E.M. song "Until the Day Is Done" to debut on CNN
* Song also to be used in documentary "Planet in Peril"
* Song will be on R.E.M.'s upcoming album
* Band releasing live CD/DVD next week

(CNN) -- Rock group R.E.M. plans to debut a song from its upcoming album Wednesday on CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360°" program.

The song "Until the Day Is Done" also will appear later this month in "Planet in Peril," a four-hour CNN documentary that looks at environmental crises around the world.

"With 'Planet in Peril,' Anderson Cooper and his team have done an amazing job capturing global eco-devastation," said R.E.M singer Michael Stipe in a news release. "The images in the film are beautiful, while at the same time heartbreaking and frightening. We are honored to have our song included in this monumental project."

This isn't the first time R.E.M. has worked with Cooper. The band premiered its video "Bad Day" on the show in 2002.

"Planet in Peril" executive producer Charlie Moore said the group's longstanding commitment to environmental causes made them a natural choice for the project.

Moore said they contacted R.E.M. earlier this year to see if the group would be willing to write a song to go with the documentary, and the band happened to be in the studio working on their upcoming album.

"We were able to hear some of the stuff they were doing and this particular song fits perfectly for the project," Moore said.

He said the group, their management and their record label were eager to be involved.

"It's sort of serendipitous that we were able to work something out with them," Moore said. "All the stars were lined up for this to happen, they were in the studio, they were working on a song that fit with the feeling that the pictures portray and they really match up very well. And we like their music, we like their work and are just thrilled that they wanted to be a part of it."

"Planet in Peril" features CNN anchor Anderson Cooper, chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta and "Animal Planet" host and wildlife biologist Jeff Corwin.

The two-part documentary was filmed in 13 countries and focuses on the issues of climate change, deforestation, species loss and overpopulation.

CNN will air "Planet in Peril" on October 23 and 24 at 9 p.m. ET. It also will be broadcast on CNN International.

In a message on the R.E.M.'s Web site, the group said it had finished recording songs for the new album, which is scheduled to be released next year.

The band also is releasing a live CD/DVD on Tuesday with 22-tracks recorded at a 2005 concert in Dublin, Ireland.

Excellent, does that mean this will be a single? Album early in 2008? Or just more teasing...

Wait, what day is this episode on? I know it say 10/23 for Planet in Peril, so is that it, or is it going to be on AC360 earlier than that?

Hopefully this gets released in the AC 360 podcast or put up on Youtube, since I don't have cable anymore :(

Excellent, except for I'm already balancing watching Life and Dirty Sexy Money @ 10, not being at home with my DVR, and not having the remote for my DVD recorder isn't helping now that Wednesday has suddenly become a busy TV night for me.

Figures they'd release one of the more boring new songs.

Hopefully they retain some of the energy I heard on those Dublin rehearsal shows. I can't bear the thought of another Reveal or Around the Sun.

Lancemc said:

Hopefully at least one of them won't suck ass. :drool:

I have high hopes for all of them. :shrug:

Coldplay can't get any worse than X&Y.
Everything I've heard about U2's album sounds very promising.
The new REM tracks are great.

There may be some new Beck out next year as well...you didn't hear it from me :wink:

My pick for those three is actually Coldplay at this juncture. As you said, they can't get much worse, and anything Brian Eno touches turns to gold, so I can see great things coming from this....maybe.

Brian Eno may be a magician, but I doubt he knows a spell that turns shit into gold.

Unless he replaces Chris Martin with someone is isn't a total tool, I wouldn't expect much.

An example of Eno taking a pretty decent band and pushing them to the limits of their talent would be his work with James on Laid.

Don't expect Coldplay to even come close to that.

lazarus said:
Brian Eno may be a magician, but I doubt he knows a spell that turns shit into gold.

Unless he replaces Chris Martin with someone is isn't a total tool, I wouldn't expect much.

An example of Eno taking a pretty decent band and pushing them to the limits of their talent would be his work with James on Laid.

Don't expect Coldplay to even come close to that.

:huh:

Ah, but you neglect to mention the fact that Coldplay are a good band.

Well why would you pick Coldplay for that reason only, Eno is working much closer with U2 than with Coldplay.

I don't know, I like the song, granted I'm hoping for a little more energy from the whole thing, but it's a good track. Then again Reveal has Imitation of Life and All the Way to Reno, and Around the Sun had Leaving New York, they can still put out excellent songs even if people don't like the whole package.

Was anyone else less than impressed with the song?

Musically, it's torn straight from 1970s folk/protest rock, which may be the idea. The only exciting thing was hearing Michael Stipe's voice on something new....but in general, it didn't really bowl me over in any way shape or form. :sad:

not the most memorable song out of their career no
even though it says that it will be on their next album I wonder whether that's true
reports are that the new album will be a far more rockin afair

I'm excited anyway though
already

LemonMelon said:
U2
REM
Coldplay

2008 :drool:

Green Day might release their follow-up to American Idiot as well.

Matt Bellamy has also stated that he is already working on new Muse songs which are either more electronic and symphonic.

2008 kicks ass!

Lancemc - your avatar distracts me way too much (same as when I watch Elf). For some reason, I find her extremely gorgeous but I don't know why.

I kind of get the feeling that's a b-side as well, from the word on the rest of the material they worked on in Dublin, didn't seem to match.

Back
Top Bottom