R.E.M. Survivor - Automatic For The People - Round 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pick your least favorite

• Drive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Try Not To Breathe

• Man On The Moon

• Nightswimming

• Find The River

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Last round, Star Me Kitten was mercy ruled.

Votes:

Star Me Kitten - 10
Monty Got A Raw Deal - 2

Literally every song here is fantastic. Sidewinder is my least favorite though.

Literally every song here is fantastic. Sidewinder is my least favorite though.

Ayup.

If there are enough of us banding together, maybe we can get another elimination.

I'll probably be voting for Nightswimming before everyone else and garnering myself some hate around here.

It's beautiful, but it gets too repetitive. :reject:

:love: oh wow, I thought I was the only person who thought that...

:hi5:

It never occurred to me back in the day, but one year in the mid-90s, a friend of mine asked me to accompany him on the piano as he sang it at some sort of talent-show type thing.

After I'd played that piano riff about 50 million times during the course of the song, I thought "Well, damn. This is repetitive, isn't it?"

The one-two punch of it and Find the River to close the album is great, though. I just wish more people thought Find the River was a better song than Nightswimming.

The one-two punch of it and Find the River to close the album is great, though. I just wish more people thought Find the River was a better song than Nightswimming.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people do think that Find The River is better than Nightswimming. They're my two favorites on the album, fo sho.

And I'll relate a quick story, just because I kind of feel like it. My best friend lost his Mom to cancer about four or five years ago. To this day, he keeps an old photo of his Mom on his car dashboard...turned backwards so that it reflects on the windshield. I can't listen to the song without thinking of him and his mom, and I can't listen to it without becoming completely immersed in memories, both good and bad. Every time that first verse rolls around...there I am riding shotgun in his beat-up red Cadillac, looking over at that photograph. So I have a pretty strong emotional attachment to that one. Every streetlight a reminder.

As long as Find the River and Drive go down to the end, I really don't care how this turns out...mainly because this album is so solid, those two songs are just on another level

I only became tired of the riff when they used it a second time for Electrolite.

:lol: I swear I never even noticed that.

My best friend lost his Mom to cancer about four or five years ago. To this day, he keeps an old photo of his Mom on his car dashboard...turned backwards so that it reflects on the windshield.

Aw, man. That's really lovely.

I love Sidewinder, I don't care if it's slight. Certainly not as stupid as Stand, Get Up, Shiny Happy People.

Great fucking chorus. And you have to love Stipe's laugh after "Dr. Zeus".

I'm voting Monty.

I guess I tie... would be great, but I like Sidewinder waaay too much to vote for it.
Monty, it's your turn.

Sidewinder.

Then I'm going after Nightswimming unless anything needs to be protected.

Who is Dr. Zeus? Did he write the Zorax? Zat in the Hat? Green Zeggs and Zam?

I'm assuming Laz was hinting at the way Stipe says Suess.

Michael stated in an interview once that he laughed after that line because no matter how many takes they tried, he could not pronouce the word “Suess”, instead saying it with a “Z” sound.

Michael stated in an interview once that he laughed after that line because no matter how many takes they tried, he could not pronouce the word “Suess”, instead saying it with a “Z” sound.

Ahhhh, word. I did not know that. That problem with the pronunciation must be a Georgia thing.

Who is Dr. Zeus? Did he write the Zorax? Zat in the Hat? Green Zeggs and Zam?

Ahhhh, word. I did not know that. That problem with the pronunciation must be a Georgia thing.

IllStabYouCunt-1.jpg

Monty, it's a difficult decision, because I don't feel there any songs here that stand out as being significantly better than the others. They are all roughly equally as brilliant as each other. Hate to see any go. I would like to see Try Not To Breathe progress....but there's a part of me that requires Sidewinder and Sweetness to progress, ah, this ain't good. I might have been jumping on Nightswimming bery soon, but I listened to this album yesterday and even that's too good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom