R.E.M. Survivor - Automatic For The People - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pick your least favorite

• Drive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Try Not To Breathe

• The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight

• Sweetness Follows

• Monty Got A Raw Deal

• Star Me Kitten

• Man On The Moon

• Nightswimming

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Last round, Half A World Away was eliminated, and Losing My Religion, Texarkana, and Country Feedback proceeded to the final draw.

Votes:

Half A World Away - 8
Country Feedback - 4
Texarkana - 2
Losing My Religion - 1

Final Draw:

Gardening At Night
Radio Free Europe
Pilgrimage
Perfect Circle
Sitting Still
Harborcoat
So. Central Rain
Pretty Persuasion
Feeling Gravitys Pull
Driver 8
Life And How To Live It
Begin The Begin
These Days
Fall On Me
Cuyahoga
Finest Worksong
Welcome to the Occupation
It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
The One I Love
You Are The Everything
World Leader Pretend
Orange Crush
Losing My Religion
Texarkana
Country Feedback

Automatic For The People placed first in the favorite R.E.M. albums poll, so four of its songs will proceed to the final draw.

Question: I have been watching previous REM votes from afar because I don't consider myself to be much of an expert on pre Automatic For The People REM (I phail, I know :reject: ) Is it Ok if I start voting now or will it skew the results? Or does anyone care? :wink:

Once again, I must go with the instrumental first.

Elfa, the more the merrier. We need more people voting up in this junk.

This album is fucking awesome. Let's mercy rule New Orleans Instrumental No. 1 and move on.

Question: I have been watching previous REM votes from afar because I don't consider myself to be much of an expert on pre Automatic For The People REM (I phail, I know :reject: ) Is it Ok if I start voting now or will it skew the results? Or does anyone care? :wink:

I suspect you'll be the first of many joining in for this round. This is R.E.M.'s most popular album around these parts by a fair margin.

New Orleans Instrumental is a beautiful little piece, and I've used it as the intro in my own personal mix of the album (leading into Sweetness Follows).

Ignoreland is without a doubt one of the worst things R.E.M. has committed to tape. That cheesy synth that is completely out of sync with the rest of the album's sound, those god-awful political lyrics that are a polar opposite to the subtle, similarly-themed writing on Green & Document, a one-word unmemorable chorus, and that riff is a generic wank.

FUCK THIS SONG.

I like New Orleans Instrumental somewhat more than I like their other instrumentals, but instrumentals barely register with me. I don't hate Ignoreland, but it's sure out of place on this album. I won't be sad when it goes.

R.E.M.'s best album, and maybe the second best album made by anyone.
New Orleans first.

Elfa, hell yes! Please start voting with us.

Anyway, this is easily my favorite R.E.M. album...which is saying something. Beautiful, beautiful collection of songs. I'm getting all verklempt just looking at the track list.

First vote is easy - New Orleans Instrumental No. 1

Can you add a multiple choice option to save some time? Especially in the early rounds, you know?

Ordinarily, I would give you an adamant "no" and tell you to GFY, but since you voted for Everybody Hurts, it makes the decision more challenging.

I liked Everybody Hurts the first dozen times I heard it. Then I hated it and wanted it to die.

Still love the video, though.

I liked Everybody Hurts on first listen....then slowly began to hate it and didn't listen to it for years...now I like it again. It's a decent hangover song. And I think it works well in the context of the album.

Everybody Hurts would survive as an a capella piece
Stipe rules this one

I think Ignoreland is quite good, but out of place

New Orleans works on the album but is not really a good track

Since he felt no need to reveal his blunder...:wink:

GFY Impy. Find The River is brilliant. Not that your taste in R.E.M. (or lack thereof) is in any way representative of anyone else on the face of this earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom