R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #106
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Bon Jovi is actually one of the strongest concert attractions on the planet. Stadiums are always played in Europe, and surprisingly, their back to being able to play some stadium shows in the biggest cities in North America, as well as doing strong business on the Arena circuit. Sales of the latest album are not great, but still significantly better than REM's. Believe it are not, Bon Jovi are actually in the top 10, do mainly to their concert selling strength.
see? i told ya

Old 02-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:58 PM
U2, Green Day, and Coldplay are all jostling for number one. REM, the Rolling Stones, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are the next tier down.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:32 AM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:58 AM
I reckon the 3 biggest bands in the world at the moment are:

1. Green Day
2. U2
3. Coldplay

Remember, this is not necessarilly the best bands in the word at the moment, but merely the biggest.

So don't start attacking me like they disgracefully attacked John Lennon 40 years ago.....he nerely stated that the Beatles were bigger than Jesus, not better.

(Even though I reckon the Beatles have done much more good for humanity than Jesus ever did, and the Beatlesare so much better than that long deceased chap.)
Old 02-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #109
Refugee

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
I reckon the 3 biggest bands in the world at the moment are:

1. Green Day
2. U2
3. Coldplay

Remember, this is not necessarilly the best bands in the word at the moment, but merely the biggest.

So don't start attacking me like they disgracefully attacked John Lennon 40 years ago.....he nerely stated that the Beatles were bigger than Jesus, not better.

(Even though I reckon the Beatles have done much more good for humanity than Jesus ever did, and the Beatlesare so much better than that long deceased chap.)
Here are the 2005 Gross and Attendance figures for the tours by U2, Green Day and Coldplay.

U2 "Vertigo Tour"

Gross: $294,795,607
Attendance: 3,414,556

Green Day "American Idiot Tour"

Gross: $36,537,583
Attendance: 978,513

Coldplay "X&Y Tour"

Gross: $23,573,443
Attendance: 580,730

Its absurd to even mention Green Day and Coldplay in the same sentence as U2 when talking about who is the biggest. Every U2 show was also a sellout, while Green Day and Coldplay only soldout about half of their shows. Hell, even if you were to combine Green Day's and Coldplay's tour figures for 2005, the Vertigo tour was still 5 times bigger in terms of Gross, and more than twice as big in terms of attendance.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Maoilbheannacht

Here are the 2005 Gross and Attendance figures for the tours by U2, Green Day and Coldplay.

U2 "Vertigo Tour"

Gross: $294,795,607
Attendance: 3,414,556

Green Day "American Idiot Tour"

Gross: $36,537,583
Attendance: 978,513

Coldplay "X&Y Tour"

Gross: $23,573,443
Attendance: 580,730

Its absurd to even mention Green Day and Coldplay in the same sentence as U2 when talking about who is the biggest. Every U2 show was also a sellout, while Green Day and Coldplay only soldout about half of their shows. Hell, even if you were to combine Green Day's and Coldplay's tour figures for 2005, the Vertigo tour was still 5 times bigger in terms of Gross, and more than twice as big in terms of attendance.

Good evidence, but what about the albums sales for each of the band's most recent album. I'm sure they would be a lot closer and it is certainyl something which must be taken into consideration