R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Was this thread started in 1994?

Old 02-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #77
Babyface

Local Time: 12:48 PM
Re: R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

Um, uh, actually, PEARL JAM are the biggest band in the world. We just let Bono think his band is better! I think Matt summed it up quite nicely when he said that PEARL JAM are better than FRENCH FRIES!! Uh, we are that good!! But uh, I'm not one to get caught up in all of this because uh, after all... it's all about the uh, music, right?

- Ed Vedder

Old 02-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #78
The Fly

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Re: Re: R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Vedder
Um, uh, actually, PEARL JAM are the biggest band in the world. We just let Bono think his band is better! I think Matt summed it up quite nicely when he said that PEARL JAM are better than FRENCH FRIES!! Uh, we are that good!! But uh, I'm not one to get caught up in all of this because uh, after all... it's all about the uh, music, right?

- Ed Vedder
I love this guy! Great Eddie impression. Love Pearl Jam but Stipe would totally kick your ass Eddie! soz!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #79
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Re: Re: Re: R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

Quote:
Originally posted by Final Straw

I love this guy! Great Eddie impression. Love Pearl Jam but Stipe would totally kick your ass Eddie! soz!
No offense for I love Stipe, I think he's a bad ass.

But with his scrawny frame, Mandy Moore could kick his ass.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #80
The Fly

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

Quote:
Originally posted by doubleU

No offense for I love Stipe, I think he's a bad ass.

But with his scrawny frame, Mandy Moore could kick his ass.
Ye ur prob right, but i meant eh, in terms of singin!!!! (phew!)
Old 02-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

Are you sure your info is correct? Hail to the Thief sold close to a million copies in the US alone (900,000 or so). I find it hard to believe that it only sold 600,000 in the rest of the world, including the UK.
The IFPI in Europe certifies all albums that reach the 1 million mark from sales of albums in Europe. At this point, "Hail To The Thief" has not sold 1 million copies in Europe. Radiohead is strongest in the United Kingdom, and there they are only certified for 300,000 copies in sales. The UK often represents 75% or more of Radioheads sales in Europe, although with "OK Computer" it represented about 50%. So one could say that perhaps total sales in Europe could be as high as 600,000. Since Europe is 1/3 of the global music market, one could then extrapolate that figure over the non-US/Euro market and say that perhaps another 600,000 has been sold elsewhere. This sort of estimate though tends to overestimate sales, because European acts usually do not sale as well in Japan and South America as they do in Europe. But this high end estimate would mean global sales of 2.1 million for "Hail To The Theif". I think the more realistic figure though is 1.5 million.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: Re: R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

Quote:

- Ed Vedder
I use to think that Pearl Jam were a big global band. Then I saw their sales figures for places like France, United Kingdom and Germany and noticed that they were definitely not. Pearl Jam does have a strong dedicated following around the world, but they have never had an album sell 1 million plus copies in Europe. Back in the heyday of their popularity in the early 1990s, over 75% of their album sales came from North America.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:32 AM   #83
Refugee

i see of course the point of the thread hasn't been answered yet. so i will. the anwser is no. thiers at least 2 bands usa or globaly that can beat rem. so thier third at best in either way u look at it.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:37 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by allbecauseofu2
i see of course the point of the thread hasn't been answered yet. so i will. the anwser is no. thiers at least 2 bands usa or globaly that can beat rem. so thier third at best in either way u look at it.
Their actually not even in the top 10.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:37 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Their actually not even in the top 10.
And thats probably being kind at this point in time.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:14 AM   #86
Blue Crack Distributor

i like REM and all, and they may certainly still put on a great show live for all i know... but frankly at this point they're probably not even as popular as bon jovi... which is sad, but probably true.

:waitsimpatientlyforsting2statistics:
Old 02-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #87
War Child

Headache - isn't Bon Jovi still HUGE in NYC/New Jersey? They can fill the Meadowlands for weeks on end. I've always been kind of amused by that...

I was a huge REM fan for a long, long time, from high school (85-88) right through New Adventures In Hi-Fi. They are now completely washed up. I bought Up and Reveal. No mojo. Hung around too long, ruining their legacy - think Evander Holyfield.

2 crap records and you're out.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #88
Babyface

Re: Re: Re: R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

I use to think that Pearl Jam were a big global band. Then I saw their sales figures for places like France, United Kingdom and Germany and noticed that they were definitely not. Pearl Jam does have a strong dedicated following around the world, but they have never had an album sell 1 million plus copies in Europe. Back in the heyday of their popularity in the early 1990s, over 75% of their album sales came from North America.

Maybe so, but uh, I always measure success in uh, terms of quality and um, uh, quantaty. We are a big global band around the world. We just had a um, um, uh successful South American tour and um, they love us in Mexico. Um, Europe has been waiting patiently for us for um, over 5 years now. Listen, uh, I'll be real honest right now, uh, if we didn't have "global" success um, people wouldn't be showing up to our concerts. And um, uh..... *thinks* you know they are still coming to see us. While we do not produce the same number of "sells" as uh, um, you know, Bon Jovi or ...um.. or even U2, our measure of success is not in sales but in fan reaction and um, uh, in that respect, um, uh you know, we are doing great. I have an audience I am proud of!!!

- Ed Vedder
Old 02-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #89
War Child

Quote:

Maybe so, but uh, I always measure success in uh, terms of quality and um, uh, quantaty. We are a big global band around the world. We just had a um, um, uh successful South American tour and um, they love us in Mexico. Um, Europe has been waiting patiently for us for um, over 5 years now. Listen, uh, I'll be real honest right now, uh, if we didn't have "global" success um, people wouldn't be showing up to our concerts. And um, uh..... *thinks* you know they are still coming to see us. While we do not produce the same number of "sells" as uh, um, you know, Bon Jovi or ...um.. or even U2, our measure of success is not in sales but in fan reaction and um, uh, in that respect, um, uh you know, we are doing great. I have an audience I am proud of!!!

- Ed Vedder
Ed

Don't forget that your old band, Citizen Dick, is also still big in Belgium.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #90
Babyface

Uh, as far as R.E.M, I like those guys a lot. They uh, honestly, one of the few bands out there who are true to their craft. Michael Stipe he's uh, a great person, uh, great human being, uh... I have a lot of respect for him.

Um, R.E.M are good you know, but uh, um, they are no Pearl Jam! Um, uh, but I like them a lot! *Laughs*

Take care now,

- Ed Vedder