R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
Around the Sun is a fine album. Most people just didn't listen to the songs enough times, decided instead that they didn't like it immediately, helped along by incompetent music journalists.

That sounds like wishful thinking on your part..how can you categorise everyone who didn't like the album in that way? ridiculous!

Old 02-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #32
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:10 PM
i never thought i'd agree with sting2, but i am.

r.e.m. have to have a hit album again before they can be considered a big band, much less the second biggest band. don't get me wrong, i like them, but their new stuff is nowhere near as popular as their older stuff was.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack

That sounds like wishful thinking on your part..how can you categorise everyone who didn't like the album in that way? ridiculous!
I didn't categorise everyone, and it was obviously tongue-in-cheek. (notice the smiley).
Old 02-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Re: Re: Re: R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

Quote:
Originally posted by Final Straw

Wahay somebody agrees!

With regards to Green Day being the second biggest!....Oh please!!!!!! Frankly, any world where Green Day is even mentioned in the top 100 biggest bands at the moment is a bad one!

Also regarding the other point that REM could be mentioned ten years ago, i disagree. 10 or so years ago, REM WERE the biggest in the world along side U2.

However despite all this, i'm not that dillusional and i do realise that their popularity has declined hugely with Around The Sun. An album i can even admit is very weak, compared to their previous efforts. In saying that, it's still better than half the other shit out nowaday's.

I do agree that the Stones are bigger, of course. In terms of 'stature' though, there has been no other example which i can see as bigger than REM(Again, in terms of 'stature' or their 'name'.) Definately not Green Day, and for the love of God not Coldplay.
REM were very popular 10 to 15 years ago. Their trio of mega albums, Out Of Time, Automatic For The People, and Monster were some of the top sellers worldwide in the early 1990s.

From the concert stand point, REM did not play live for "Out Of Time and Automatic For The People. They went from 1989 to 1994 without launching a new tour. When they finally toured for Monster, they were able to sellout Arena's(20,000 seaters) for the first time in their career, and the band did a good arena tour of most of the world. In Europe, they were able to sellout a several big Stadium shows, but it was only in Europe where this was the case.

REM were more popular than Pearl Jam or Nirvana(prior to the death of Kurt Cobain) but because they were not a stadium level act worldwide, they fell short of being able to compete with U2, even though they were selling as many albums. Also, Guns N Roses would beat them for a #2 position behind U2 back then. Metallica and the Cranberries would also be biting at their heels.

By the end of 1996 though, REM's popularity of the early 1990s had for the most part disappeared. The new album, New Adventures in Hi Fi, only sold 3 million copies worldwide, a small fraction of what the previous three albums had sold.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #35
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

I didn't categorise everyone, and it was obviously tongue-in-cheek. (notice the smiley).

Or those were your real thoughts and if anyone pulled you up on them you left the smiley in there so you could say you were being tongue in cheek.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:05 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack

Or those were your real thoughts and if anyone pulled you up on them you left the smiley in there so you could say you were being tongue in cheek.
Now you're just assuming. Nice try, though.

Well, to some extent, those are my real thoughts. It's my impression that many people didn't listen enough to this album before they decided it was boring.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #37
The Fly

Re: Re: Re: Re: R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

the Cranberries would also be biting at their heels.

I can relate to nearly everything you said except for this. The Cranberries being up there with REM? They supported REM for most of the Monster tour. They weren't near REM's status, I don't care what ya say. The rest though does make sense. Even so, they were still in the top 5 in the world, DEFINATELY!
Old 02-18-2006, 05:53 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:10 AM
U2 Man and Sleep Over Jack! Now you too don't start fighting!
Old 02-18-2006, 06:29 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

Quote:
Originally posted by Final Straw

I can relate to nearly everything you said except for this. The Cranberries being up there with REM? They supported REM for most of the Monster tour. They weren't near REM's status, I don't care what ya say. The rest though does make sense. Even so, they were still in the top 5 in the world, DEFINATELY!
They supported REM at several of the big Stadium shows in Europe and it could be argued that the reason REM was able to sellout several of these shows was because of the support of the Cranberries. The Cranberries had a trio of albums that sold 30 million copies worldwide over the same time period. While they may not have been as popular a concert draw, they sold a similar number of albums of current product, and they did successfully launch their own global arena tour.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #40
Refugee

around the sun sold as much as bigger bang? i thought that bigger bang sold at least 1 million in the states? and around the sun sold less then 500,000? are u saying ABB only sold 1 million in other places and ATS sold 1.6 in other places?
Old 02-19-2006, 01:22 AM   #41
Refugee

Local Time: 02:10 PM
Hate to say it here but I kind of agree with Paul McCartney...the Beatles will always be number 1 and number 2....

U2 can be number 3.

REM? I loved, loved their earlier work but I would say that they haven't had a relevant album in the past 10 years. Their heart and soul left the audition when Bill Berry left the band.

And Michael Stipe has been too busy having his head up Hollywood's ass.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:30 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
it took me quite a while to get into achtung baby after rattle and hum. granted, i was 8 at the time but the point remains.
8!?
Old 02-19-2006, 01:47 AM   #43
The Fly

I can't really see how Radiohead isn't #2 in overall standing right now.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:11 AM   #44
The Fly

Because they're depressing fucks! I'm sorry, i don't mean to be so blunt, but does anyone at ALL out there agree with me that Radiohead along with Nirvana are the 2 most over-rated bands in history?!
Old 02-19-2006, 08:23 AM   #45
War Child

I saw REM and U2 live last year, they simply can't compare. U2 is just the best.