R.E.M. play surprise show in Athens!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NumbMacphisto

Refugee
From their official website, remhq.com:

The band put together an impromptu performance tonight in Athens at R.E.M guitar tech Dewitt Burton's wedding reception. Roughly three-hundred people packed into a tiny arcade room at the bowling alley where the reception was held as Peter, Michael, Mike, and Bill Berry ripped through a scorching seven-song set that included "Sitting Still," "Rockville," "Wolves, Lower," "Begin the Begin," "The One I Love," "Permanent Vacation," and "Radio Free Europe." It was the first time the original lineup has performed together since a concert in Raleigh, North Carolina, during the In Time tour in 2003. Michael Stipe toasted the bride and groom, Jackie and Dewitt, on several occasions throughout the set as the reception guests yelled request upon request at the band--"Begin the Begin" was requested by the bride. Asked what he thought about the set and the evening, Mike Mills commented that "It was awesome to look behind me and see Bill on drums."

A good time was had by all, with chillbumps, phone cameras, cold beer and throat lumps all co-mingling!

Kingpins Set List, October 8th, Athens, GA:

Sitting Still
Rockville (Mike Mills on vocals)
Wolves, Lower
Begin the Begin
The One I Love
Permanent Vacation
Radio Free Europe

R.E.M. + Bill Berry + THAT SETLIST! I would have given anything to be there and then possibly have died!!! And in a bowling alley :lol:! It's great to see the four of them back, as brief as it might be.

NumbMacphisto said:

R.E.M. + Bill Berry + THAT SETLIST! I would have given anything to be there and then possibly have died!!!

Oh my God... no shit!!! Is this for real? You sure it's not just a rumour? :ohmy:

What the HELL?!?!

There are two people on this forum who are actually IN Athens.

Myself being one of them.

How did I miss this?

:banghead: :banghead:

:sad: :sad: :sad:

I could've figured it out and mozied my way into a reception! :sexywink:

I'm really jealous of the people who were there - partly because I never saw the original lineup in concert, just the new one. Not that the new lineup is awful, but you know what I mean. And they didn't play Wolves, Lower when I saw them, either.

Last edited:
This story just makes me weep for the fact that Bill Berry is still not with the band. And with them, he took the hooks to great songs.

Now all we're left with (aside from Up, still haunted by Berry's ghost) is pastoral background music that works best as a sleep aid.

I guess we can simply look forward to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in a couple years, which Berry will surely attend and perform at.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!!!!?????
Why am I finding out about this 2 DAYS LATER!?!?! You'd think our local press would have had a field day with this.

The bowling alley on Macon Hwy is probably the last place I would have guessed a surprise REM show would happen.

Back
Top Bottom