R.E.M. or Coldplay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Final Straw

The Fly
Since there's no actual forum here to discuss other music(if there is, please move it there for me), I'm putting this in here.

So, two bands around now that are really good mates with U2, but which one is your favourite?

R.E.M.

They were basically the founders of the college rock scene of the '80s with some other bands and still great and relevant until Reveal :|

Coldplay tagged onto the heals of Radiohead, U2, and R.E.M. themselves to make decent music, but nothing new.

I dont even like REM, but REM. Because i hate coldplay that much!

hedgehog said:
REM easily, a better band than Coldplay will ever be (for the record, Im not anti-Coldplay, Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood To The Head were good albums IMO).

they weren't good albums ...................they are awesome albums:drool: :wink:

Bonos_Lemon said:
I like both but I don't have any REM cds...but I want one. any recommendations?

Automatic for the People is probably the most accessible first album other than their Best Of.

Document
Out of Time
and Monster

are my other favorites.

Ten years ago I would have said R.E.M., but I listen to Coldplay a lot more these days. Sure R.E.M. are legends, but Coldplay is putting out better music right now (in my opinion).

Bonos_Lemon said:
I like both but I don't have any REM cds...but I want one. any recommendations?

Yeah definately start with Automatic but second after that, make sure you check out New Adventures In Hi-Fi. It's R.E.M.s hidden classic album(in that it doesn't get anywhere near the amount of praise it should get).

Final Straw said:

Yeah definately start with Automatic but second after that, make sure you check out New Adventures In Hi-Fi. It's R.E.M.s hidden classic album(in that it doesn't get anywhere near the amount of praise it should get).

I second that. NAIHF gets a lot of praise from dedicated fans, just not the casual listener.

HeartlandGirl said:
Ten years ago I would have said R.E.M., but I listen to Coldplay a lot more these days. Sure R.E.M. are legends, but Coldplay is putting out better music right now (in my opinion).

That basically sums up my opinion this topic, too. The two groups are so different that comparing bodies of work would be really difficult now or in ten years. For now Coldplay is producing some of the best music out there.

Screwtape2 said:

That basically sums up my opinion this topic, too. The two groups are so different that comparing bodies of work would be really difficult now or in ten years. For now Coldplay is producing some of the best music out there.

Yeah, you do have a point.

I think that'd only be reached if the band gets a firm identity and makes atleast one new sound other than agony and make 2-3 solid albums with that sound, and that Chris Martin stops using the cat-scratch falsetto as much.

HeartlandGirl said:

Absolutely. I'd even dare say they're making considerably better music in comparison.

And REM hasn't done anything to help maintain their legacy since New Adventures in my opinion (and I actually like Up quite a bit). When a full decade of your work is considered mediocre even by your fans, are you still legendary?

REM is the George Lucas of music :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom