R.E.M. or Coldplay? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Umm, wow! Is this even a real question? I mean, holy hell, R.E.M. are fucking legends! Murmur, Life's Rich Pageant, Out of Time, Automatic for the People, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Up...these are some of the greatest albums of all time. Coldplay has made two great albums and a fairly mediocre album, all with pretty lame lyrics. Seriously, give Coldplay another 15 years to grow and maybe this comparison will be worth making. But as it stands, Coldplay isn't worthy enough to touch Peter Buck's guitar pick.

Just go listen to Find the River. If Chris Martin can write a song 1/10 as good as that, I'll be truely flabbergasted!

Old 08-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #62
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Umm, wow! Is this even a real question? I mean, holy hell, R.E.M. are fucking legends! Murmur, Life's Rich Pageant, Out of Time, Automatic for the People, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Up...these are some of the greatest albums of all time. Coldplay has made two great albums and a fairly mediocre album, all with pretty lame lyrics. Seriously, give Coldplay another 15 years to grow and maybe this comparison will be worth making. But as it stands, Coldplay isn't worthy enough to touch Peter Buck's guitar pick.

Just go listen to Find the River. If Chris Martin can write a song 1/10 as good as that, I'll be truely flabbergasted!

I WILL TRIE TO FIXX U!!1!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #63
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

Furthermore, I have no clue why people sweat all over REM as much as they do. I've tried to get into them, listened to a few albums several time, and I really can't see why people classify them as "legendary".
Actually, I've heard this from a huge amount of people. It really seems to be a "generation gap" type thing. A few of my friends who are just 3 or 4 years younger than me hate REM with a passion and think of them as "lame 90's radio rock". I know that probably sounds extremely harsh to those of us who grew up following REM from their indie/underground/alternative roots to superstardom, but that's still just how some people view them. And truth be told, I'm not surprised at all that that's how a number of people of that age group think of them considering they've done nothing for a decade to prove to a younger audience that they deserve the title of "legends". It's also quite arguable that most of their "big hits" have not aged well by any sense, thus turning off casual listeners who have only heard those songs. I too don't really like listening to 'Everybody Hurts' at all any more, and that song was literally an anthem of epic proportions when it came out. It's also quite debatable that they (and U2, but that's an arguement for another place) haven't really had as much influence on music as everyone presumed they would in the 80's and 90's or as their fans still somehow think they've had.

I'm going to clarify some things here, I personally DO consider a number of REM albums as legendary and think they blow any albums Coldplay has ever released completely out of the water (Murmur, Reckoning, Document, Automatic for the People, etc). REM was easily in my top 2 or 3 bands up until Reveal was released. I know I'm only speaking for myself, but 3 mediocre albums in a row has truely even ruined a number of their old albums for me (similarly to how the horrificaly bad Star Wars prequals have in many ways ruined a lot of the "legendary" status many had given the originals, hence my earlier comparison to George Lucas...). While I do realize that there are a number of people out there who may possibly like their last 3 albums on their own merits, I have a hard time personally believing they'd like them if they weren't REM albums (I think this because I've finally come to the realization that even though I do still do like Up quite a bit, I would think it was complete garbage if it wasn't made by REM).

Regardless of what side of the fence you sit on with how REM and U2's "recent works" compare to their past catalogue, I think most can admit the many similarities in how the directions these bands have taken have alienated a number of their long time fans. While I do think Gickies assessment that "rem now make music for themselves and that u2 now make music for america" is quite accurate, I have a hard time really seeing any difference as the end result has been almost identical. In both cases it seems the bands have at least in some way lost sight of how they used to make music and are now just "trying to be REM" or "trying to be U2" instead of just doing it. It also seems a bit apparent that both are having a hard time finding out what that means or how to do it, and it's likely they never will. (I realize this last bit is all just my crappy impression of the "state of the union" of two of my all time favorite groups)
Old 08-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #64
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

Coldplay's finest songs aren't singles. Often, they're not even on albums.

Examples: I'd take Talk single b-side "Sleeping Sun" over any of the trash on X&Y (except "Low" and "Til Kingdom Come") any day. "Warning Sign" is a song near the tail end of AROBTTH and, despite being one of the two or three best songs on the record, is never talked about.

A lot of people judge Coldplay on the face value of their singles. That's not necessarily the wrong thing to do, as that's what a single is actually for, to get you to judge an artist based on the one song/video. But the reason I like Coldplay as much as I do is because of the stellar, unsung work laying deep in their catalogue.

Furthermore, I have no clue why people sweat all over REM as much as they do. I've tried to get into them, listened to a few albums several time, and I really can't see why people classify them as "legendary".
Yeah, I agree with you for the most part, I enjoy Coldplay's albums over singles tenfold, but sometimes Chris Martin's lyrics / vocal abilities really get to me. Truth be told, Stipe's vocals after Reveal are a bit harsh too, (listen to Animal )

But sometimes it takes one song or body of work (X&Y and Fix You in particular) to ruin one's opinion of a band.

I really got into R.E.M. pretty recently, I knew the major hits and enjoyed them, but dug deeper into their catalogue like I had done for Coldplay and just loved them.

Find the River is what solidified my R.E.M. fandom, which seems pretty common around here
Old 08-02-2006, 08:59 PM   #65
The Fly

No doubt about it, REM. Coldplay has one amazing album, one good one, and one decent one. REM has at least 5 albums that I love. Automatic for the People is such a perfect album.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #66
Refugee

R.E.M. HANDS DOWN!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #67
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

Actually, I've heard this from a huge amount of people. It really seems to be a "generation gap" type thing. A few of my friends who are just 3 or 4 years younger than me hate REM with a passion and think of them as "lame 90's radio rock". I know that probably sounds extremely harsh to those of us who grew up following REM from their indie/underground/alternative roots to superstardom, but that's still just how some people view them. And truth be told, I'm not surprised at all that that's how a number of people of that age group think of them considering they've done nothing for a decade to prove to a younger audience that they deserve the title of "legends". It's also quite arguable that most of their "big hits" have not aged well by any sense, thus turning off casual listeners who have only heard those songs. I too don't really like listening to 'Everybody Hurts' at all any more, and that song was literally an anthem of epic proportions when it came out. It's also quite debatable that they (and U2, but that's an arguement for another place) haven't really had as much influence on music as everyone presumed they would in the 80's and 90's or as their fans still somehow think they've had.

I'm going to clarify some things here, I personally DO consider a number of REM albums as legendary and think they blow any albums Coldplay has ever released completely out of the water (Murmur, Reckoning, Document, Automatic for the People, etc). REM was easily in my top 2 or 3 bands up until Reveal was released. I know I'm only speaking for myself, but 3 mediocre albums in a row has truely even ruined a number of their old albums for me (similarly to how the horrificaly bad Star Wars prequals have in many ways ruined a lot of the "legendary" status many had given the originals, hence my earlier comparison to George Lucas...). While I do realize that there are a number of people out there who may possibly like their last 3 albums on their own merits, I have a hard time personally believing they'd like them if they weren't REM albums (I think this because I've finally come to the realization that even though I do still do like Up quite a bit, I would think it was complete garbage if it wasn't made by REM).

Regardless of what side of the fence you sit on with how REM and U2's "recent works" compare to their past catalogue, I think most can admit the many similarities in how the directions these bands have taken have alienated a number of their long time fans. While I do think Gickies assessment that "rem now make music for themselves and that u2 now make music for america" is quite accurate, I have a hard time really seeing any difference as the end result has been almost identical. In both cases it seems the bands have at least in some way lost sight of how they used to make music and are now just "trying to be REM" or "trying to be U2" instead of just doing it. It also seems a bit apparent that both are having a hard time finding out what that means or how to do it, and it's likely they never will. (I realize this last bit is all just my crappy impression of the "state of the union" of two of my all time favorite groups)
Reveal and Around the Sun aren't that great, but I think Up is very high quality, perhaps even in my top 3 of their albums.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #68
Refugee

Hey U2POPMOFO you forgot to mention Life's Rich Pagent for crying in the soup. Better than any of the R.E.M. albums you mentioned. O.K. maybe not better than Automatic but hey.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #69
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
Hey U2POPMOFO you forgot to mention Life's Rich Pagent for crying in the soup. Better than any of the R.E.M. albums you mentioned. O.K. maybe not better than Automatic but hey.
Strangely I prefer all of the other REM albums I mentioned to Automatic (I almost didn't include it). Not a big fan of Life's Rich Pageant for some reason. Maybe I'll listen to it tonight.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:59 PM
Good post, Mofo! You sound like a pretty big REM fan. I'm surprised you prefer Coldplay. Really!

As for the U2 & REM comparison, they were definitely both at the top of their game when Achtung & Automatic were released, weren't they? REM nowadays sound disinterested, somewhat disconnected with the world and as if still in mourning or something that Berry left (at least from whatever I've heard so far after New Adventures)! U2 sound like they're not following their own creative instincts and are pandering to the American public. Pearl Jam & RHCP seem to be the most interesting bands right now.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #71
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

It still amazes me how the Chili Peppers, R.E.M., and U2 are around the same ages, but are at way different points in their careers right now.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:28 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Pearl Jam & RHCP seem to be the most interesting bands right now.
radiohead bitch
Old 08-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:59 PM
Hey xavi! 409 bitch!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

radiohead bitch
Oh yeah, them too! The thing with Radiohead is that if I'm in that mood, I really really enjoy their music but if I want to listen to something happy with big guitars, then not so much...
Old 08-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #74
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
You sound like a pretty big REM fan. I'm surprised you prefer Coldplay. Really!

Honestly, that's the whole reason I do prefer Coldplay. Listening to old REM records just ends up bumming me out or ticking me off because I hate to think of where they've wandered off to compared to where they once were. Quite honestly though, I rarely listen to either group.

And though I always say this, I feel I have to again. I like REM's first two albums more than anything else they've ever done and ever probably will do.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #75
The Fly

I don't think RHCP haven't done much of anything terribly interesting in the last 15 years.

Tags
coldplay, rem