R.E.M. or Coldplay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess in a way it's always a bit like comparing apples to oranges
and it definitely always comes down to personal taste

but R.E.M. does tower over Coldplay

Michael Stipe as a songwriter + vocalist actually towers above any other songwriter + vocalist
though R.E.M. isn't even my favourite band

:up:

Salome said:
R.E.M. are far from on life support
personally I prefer the 3 albums without Mr. Berry to any 3 consecutive albums they made in the 80s
much like U2 they are able now to direct their music instead of having the music direct them
both qualities have their pros, but when a band isn't really able to direct their music they aren't always able to get the most out of their songs and start sounding a bit one dimensional at times

R.E.M.'s only problem I can think off is when Michael Stipe's brilliance is not being backed by equally brilliant music (as happened a bit on New Adventures in my opinion)

We definitely aren't going to agree about REM. I think New Adventures in Hi-Fi is brilliant and towers over the last 3 alnums. Despite the recent string of disappointments for me, I still have hope that their next album will be great. Maybe I am just overly optimistic, but I really do love just about all of the albums with Bill Berry, especially Automatic, Life's Rich Pageant, New Adventures, Document and Murmur.

That said, I also believe that A Rush of Blood to the Head is as great as anything REM has done, and since REM has not been nearly as good (in my opinion) during the time that Coldplay has been around, I have to go with Coldplay.

I like Up quite a bit (it could stand to have a few songs trimmed from the end), was disappointed by most of Reveal, and really disliked Around the Sun at first, but later came to really like it. (Seeing them live on that tour helped!)

corianderstem said:
I like Up quite a bit (it could stand to have a few songs trimmed from the end)

Who cast the final stone?
Who threw the crushing blow?
Someone has to take the fall...
Why not me? Why not me?
I am free. I am freeee......

:drool:

Zootlesque said:

Who cast the final stone?
Who threw the crushing blow?
Someone has to take the fall...
Why not me? Why not me?
I am free. I am freeee......

:drool:

That's far and away my favorite song from Up.

bonosgirl84 said:

are you trying to antagonize me??

:wink:

No, I saw Fiona Apple when she was opening for Coldplay and her performance was so powerful. I really do wish Chris Martin would be more like Fiona or Bono on stage. I think most Coldplay fans would agree that less of Chris Martin's frolicking would be a good thing. If it were an argument about frontmen Michael Stipe would get my vote.

Definitely REM. Michael Stipe is a genius. I think Leave is my favorite REM song. I also love Reveal and most of Up.

Back
Top Bottom