R.E.M. or Coldplay? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

Coldplay's finest songs aren't singles. Often, they're not even on albums.

Examples: I'd take Talk single b-side "Sleeping Sun" over any of the trash on X&Y (except "Low" and "Til Kingdom Come") any day. "Warning Sign" is a song near the tail end of AROBTTH and, despite being one of the two or three best songs on the record, is never talked about.

A lot of people judge Coldplay on the face value of their singles. That's not necessarily the wrong thing to do, as that's what a single is actually for, to get you to judge an artist based on the one song/video. But the reason I like Coldplay as much as I do is because of the stellar, unsung work laying deep in their catalogue.

Furthermore, I have no clue why people sweat all over REM as much as they do. I've tried to get into them, listened to a few albums several time, and I really can't see why people classify them as "legendary".

amsterdam....politik.....spies....a rush of blood to the head.......

Old 08-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Amsterdam

Old 08-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:43 AM
R.E.M.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #49
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I like REM, but they've completely blown their own legacy with nearly a decade of mediocrity and 3 albums that no one would even remotely like or listen to if they weren't REM records.
now now now
Up and Around the Sun are albums of a quality you don't often find in music (Reveal is a half / half affair to me)

they are far removed from indy, rock and everything remotely close to that, but I really think musically speaking it is quality wise on par with their 90s and 80s output
Old 08-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Calling Up adult-contemporary is ludicrous.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #51
Refugee

Local Time: 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
now now now
Up and Around the Sun are albums of a quality you don't often find in music (Reveal is a half / half affair to me)

they are far removed from indy, rock and everything remotely close to that, but I really think musically speaking it is quality wise on par with their 90s and 80s output
R.E.M has been on life support since the departure of Bill Berry, although Up has moments of brilliance but nowhere close to any of their earlier albums.

As a result, R.E.M. may ultimately have the better catalog based on the sheer number of albums, but Coldplay is better today.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:19 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
R.E.M. tower over Coldplay like something huge towers over something very small
Old 08-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #53
Refugee

Local Time: 02:43 AM
I've dowloaded a few REM songs and i have to say Drive
Old 08-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
Well, just ask yourself the question: Where's Coldplay's Losing My Religion? Coldplay's Imitation of Life? Coldplay's Everybody Hurts? (and don't say Fix You here ).

I like Coldplay, but they have a lot more to prove if they want to be compared to R.E.M.
well, first of all it's rather unfair to compare a band that's been around for not even a decade to a band that's been around over two decades (I'd say the same thing to people that compare Coldplay and U2).

Secondly, I love the song "Don't Panic" more than anything I've ever heard from REM. Really, I've tried to get into REM, but I don't think they're my kind of music I like some of their songs alright (Losing My Religion is classic, no doubt), but in general they don't do much for me (I have Fables of the Reconstruction, Out of Time, and In Time Best Of 1988-2003)

also, Everybody Hurts is an even worse song than Fix You (IMO LOLZ)
Old 08-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
Well you should maybe take some of your own previous advice in this thread and be embarrassed for yourself.

Coming from the guy who constantly states that he hates U2's last 2 albums for their supposed "easy listening/adult comtemporary" qualities, it blows my mind that you could stand up for anything REM has released post-New Adventures in Hi-Fi. Seems pretty.......hypocritical.
never had a problem with easy listening. it's shit that i have a problem with.

and coldplay isn't shit.

secondly, noone should be embarassed for liking coldplay. that was typical of me to say, and i felt like saying it at the time.

it is of my opinion that rem now make music for themselves and that u2 now make music for america.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

it is of my opinion that rem now make music for themselves and that u2 now make music for america.
Haha. I love it when you talk like that!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

also, Everybody Hurts is an even worse song than Fix You (IMO LOLZ)
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Everybody Hurts and the other singles from AFTP are close to my heart partly cos I was 13 when I saw those videos on MTV and basically grew up with that fantastic album. Fix You is okay but I don't understand the point of those lyrics. I will try to fix you?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:26 PM   #58
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

R.E.M has been on life support since the departure of Bill Berry, although Up has moments of brilliance but nowhere close to any of their earlier albums.

As a result, R.E.M. may ultimately have the better catalog based on the sheer number of albums, but Coldplay is better today.
R.E.M. are far from on life support
personally I prefer the 3 albums without Mr. Berry to any 3 consecutive albums they made in the 80s
much like U2 they are able now to direct their music instead of having the music direct them
both qualities have their pros, but when a band isn't really able to direct their music they aren't always able to get the most out of their songs and start sounding a bit one dimensional at times

R.E.M.'s only problem I can think off is when Michael Stipe's brilliance is not being backed by equally brilliant music (as happened a bit on New Adventures in my opinion)

Coldplay ...........

umm
have some decent songs
Old 08-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:43 AM
I loathe Everybody Hurts and cannot even stand to listen to it anymore. It's the only song I skip on the amazing Automatic For the People.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Everybody Hurts and the other singles from AFTP are close to my heart partly cos I was 13 when I saw those videos on MTV and basically grew up with that fantastic album. Fix You is okay but I don't understand the point of those lyrics. I will try to fix you?
well if you grew up with it that explains your attachment to it, but personally I think it's a terribly cliche song, like it's trying way too hard to be universal. but like I said I've never really been a huge REM fan

Fix You's lyrics are about as bad, but musically it's slightly more interesting.

Tags
coldplay, rem