R.E.M. or Coldplay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Final Straw said:

Yeah definately start with Automatic but second after that, make sure you check out New Adventures In Hi-Fi. It's R.E.M.s hidden classic album(in that it doesn't get anywhere near the amount of praise it should get).

It's my absolute favourite of theirs. It's got a distorted, desolate vibe that's truly epic. :drool:

As for the comparisons, I think Coldplay aim to please, while R.E.M. simply aim to be. Take your pick.

Salome said:
R.E.M. tower over Coldplay like something huge towers over something very small

i could not agree more.

anyone who says otherwise should be embarassed.

Zoomerang96 said:

i could not agree more.

anyone who says otherwise should be embarassed.

Strange...I don't feel embarrassed.

The question asks who your favorite is of the two, not who is the better band or who is more legendary. Some people might take those things into consideration, and others may not. Such is life.

I'd have to say I enjoy Coldplay more, but I haven't heard all of R.E.M's stuff (there's so much to hear!) so I guess it isn't final until I get around to that.

Well, just ask yourself the question: Where's Coldplay's Losing My Religion? Coldplay's Imitation of Life? Coldplay's Everybody Hurts? (and don't say Fix You here :wink:).

I like Coldplay, but they have a lot more to prove if they want to be compared to R.E.M.

U2Man said:
Well, just ask yourself the question: Where's Coldplay's Losing My Religion? Coldplay's Imitation of Life? Coldplay's Everybody Hurts? (and don't say Fix You here :wink:).

I like Coldplay, but they have a lot more to prove if they want to be compared to R.E.M.

Of course you could also say, where in the last 9 years is REM's Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head, and X&Y?

I like REM, but they've completely blown their own legacy with nearly a decade of mediocrity and 3 albums that no one would even remotely like or listen to if they weren't REM records.

And by the way, Clocks has become arguably as big of a "classic" as any of the REM songs you named. Easily more memorable and straight up popular than Imitation of Life.

Last edited:
i don't find that to be at all true. i became a much bigger fan of rem after their latest album. leaving new york and i wanted to be wrong or two of the very finest songs i have EVER heard.

Well you should maybe take some of your own previous advice in this thread and be embarrassed for yourself.

Coming from the guy who constantly states that he hates U2's last 2 albums for their supposed "easy listening/adult comtemporary" qualities, it blows my mind that you could stand up for anything REM has released post-New Adventures in Hi-Fi. Seems pretty.......hypocritical.

Last edited:
U2Man said:

Coldplay's finest songs aren't singles. Often, they're not even on albums.

Examples: I'd take Talk single b-side "Sleeping Sun" over any of the trash on X&Y (except "Low" and "Til Kingdom Come") any day. "Warning Sign" is a song near the tail end of AROBTTH and, despite being one of the two or three best songs on the record, is never talked about.

A lot of people judge Coldplay on the face value of their singles. That's not necessarily the wrong thing to do, as that's what a single is actually for, to get you to judge an artist based on the one song/video. But the reason I like Coldplay as much as I do is because of the stellar, unsung work laying deep in their catalogue.

Furthermore, I have no clue why people sweat all over REM as much as they do. I've tried to get into them, listened to a few albums several time, and I really can't see why people classify them as "legendary".

Wow, the opinion is more divided here than I'd have imagined. :ohmy:

inmyplace13 said:

"Warning Sign" is a song near the tail end of AROBTTH and, despite being one of the two or three best songs on the record, is never talked about.

I do like that song a lot. It really is true that they have as many or more hidden gems in album tracks than the singles! Either album tracks or demo versions like the great one for Talk which pisses all over the album version, in my opinion.

But I grew up with REM (& U2) listening to and watching the videos from Out Of Time, Automatic, Monster and New Adventures. And they had such a huge discography even before OOT, consisting of amazing albums like Lifes Rich Pageant and Document. There's no question I prefer REM, even though I haven't really bothered to check out their last 2 albums.

inmyplace13 said:

Coldplay's finest songs aren't singles. Often, they're not even on albums.

Examples: I'd take Talk single b-side "Sleeping Sun" over any of the trash on X&Y (except "Low" and "Til Kingdom Come") any day. "Warning Sign" is a song near the tail end of AROBTTH and, despite being one of the two or three best songs on the record, is never talked about.

A lot of people judge Coldplay on the face value of their singles. That's not necessarily the wrong thing to do, as that's what a single is actually for, to get you to judge an artist based on the one song/video. But the reason I like Coldplay as much as I do is because of the stellar, unsung work laying deep in their catalogue.

Furthermore, I have no clue why people sweat all over REM as much as they do. I've tried to get into them, listened to a few albums several time, and I really can't see why people classify them as "legendary".

:up: :up:

amsterdam....politik.....spies....a rush of blood to the head.......:drool: :drool: :drool:

u2popmofo said:
I like REM, but they've completely blown their own legacy with nearly a decade of mediocrity and 3 albums that no one would even remotely like or listen to if they weren't REM records.
now now now
Up and Around the Sun are albums of a quality you don't often find in music (Reveal is a half / half affair to me)

they are far removed from indy, rock and everything remotely close to that, but I really think musically speaking it is quality wise on par with their 90s and 80s output

Salome said:
now now now
Up and Around the Sun are albums of a quality you don't often find in music (Reveal is a half / half affair to me)

they are far removed from indy, rock and everything remotely close to that, but I really think musically speaking it is quality wise on par with their 90s and 80s output

R.E.M has been on life support since the departure of Bill Berry, although Up has moments of brilliance but nowhere close to any of their earlier albums.

As a result, R.E.M. may ultimately have the better catalog based on the sheer number of albums, but Coldplay is better today.

U2Man said:

well, first of all it's rather unfair to compare a band that's been around for not even a decade to a band that's been around over two decades (I'd say the same thing to people that compare Coldplay and U2).

Secondly, I love the song "Don't Panic" more than anything I've ever heard from REM. Really, I've tried to get into REM, but I don't think they're my kind of music :shrug: I like some of their songs alright (Losing My Religion is classic, no doubt), but in general they don't do much for me (I have Fables of the Reconstruction, Out of Time, and In Time Best Of 1988-2003)

also, Everybody Hurts is an even worse song than Fix You (IMO LOLZ)

u2popmofo said:
Well you should maybe take some of your own previous advice in this thread and be embarrassed for yourself.

Coming from the guy who constantly states that he hates U2's last 2 albums for their supposed "easy listening/adult comtemporary" qualities, it blows my mind that you could stand up for anything REM has released post-New Adventures in Hi-Fi. Seems pretty.......hypocritical.

never had a problem with easy listening. it's shit that i have a problem with.

and coldplay isn't shit.

secondly, noone should be embarassed for liking coldplay. that was typical of me to say, and i felt like saying it at the time.

it is of my opinion that rem now make music for themselves and that u2 now make music for america.

AtomicBono said:

also, Everybody Hurts is an even worse song than Fix You (IMO LOLZ)

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. :| Everybody Hurts and the other singles from AFTP are close to my heart partly cos I was 13 when I saw those videos on MTV and basically grew up with that fantastic album. Fix You is okay but I don't understand the point of those lyrics. I will try to fix you? :huh:

bsp77 said:

R.E.M has been on life support since the departure of Bill Berry, although Up has moments of brilliance but nowhere close to any of their earlier albums.

As a result, R.E.M. may ultimately have the better catalog based on the sheer number of albums, but Coldplay is better today.
R.E.M. are far from on life support
personally I prefer the 3 albums without Mr. Berry to any 3 consecutive albums they made in the 80s
much like U2 they are able now to direct their music instead of having the music direct them
both qualities have their pros, but when a band isn't really able to direct their music they aren't always able to get the most out of their songs and start sounding a bit one dimensional at times

R.E.M.'s only problem I can think off is when Michael Stipe's brilliance is not being backed by equally brilliant music (as happened a bit on New Adventures in my opinion)

Coldplay ...........

umm
have some decent songs

I loathe Everybody Hurts and cannot even stand to listen to it anymore. It's the only song I skip on the amazing Automatic For the People.

Zootlesque said:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. :| Everybody Hurts and the other singles from AFTP are close to my heart partly cos I was 13 when I saw those videos on MTV and basically grew up with that fantastic album. Fix You is okay but I don't understand the point of those lyrics. I will try to fix you? :huh:

well if you grew up with it that explains your attachment to it, but personally I think it's a terribly cliche song, like it's trying way too hard to be universal. but like I said I've never really been a huge REM fan :shrug:

Fix You's lyrics are about as bad, but musically it's slightly more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom