R.e.m

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grew up on REM. Green was the first album I ever bought when I was a kid.

Sheer genius. I was so tempted to miss my college graduation to go see them at Glastonbury, wish I had.

I will be going to see REM tomorrow night at the Bumbershoot festival in Seattle provided that I get there early enough in the day to procure a wristband. Wilco is opening.

Well, I got the wristband. It was a fun show in a large arena with a real festival atmosphere going on. Michael said that they hadn't played that big of a venue since Europe. He said that Seattle is a beautiful city. He introduced three songs, Electrolite, New Test Leper, and Nightswimming as being recorded in Seattle.

main set
1. Begin the Begin
2. Finest Worksong
3. Maps and Legends
4. Drive
5. Animal
6. Fall on Me
7. Bad Day
8. Daysleeper
9. Exhuming McCarthy
10. Electrolite
11. New Test Leper
12. Nightswimming
13. The One I Love
14. At My Most Beautiful
15. I've Been High
16. Losing My Religion
17. She Just Wants to Be
18. Walk Unafraid
19. Man on the Moon

Encore
1. Everybody Hurts
2. Imitation of Life
3. World Leader Pretend
4. Get Up
5. It's the End of the World as We Know it

The encore went on longer than scheduled. Bumbershoot doesn't always do encores. Michael said they were extending it "because they can." Everybody Hurts brought tears to my eyes. World Leader Pretend was a treat. Apparently it was only the second time they performed it live in 13 years. The first being Vancouver and apparently Michael messed up the words in that show so this time he had the lyrics written down.The crowd went wild for It's the End of the World as We Know It.

From Reuters:
2003-09-02T044153Z_01_SEA01D_RTRIDSP_2_ENTERTAINMENT-REM.jpg

Lead singer Michael Stipe and his band R.E.M. peform at Bumbershoot 2003 in Seattle, Washington on September 1, 2003. Bumbershoot is the largest music festival of its kind on the U.S. West Coast where more than 100,000 attendees congregate to see hundreds of musical performances on more than a dozen stages over the Labor Day weekend. REUTERS/Anthony P. Bolante

Calluna, you lucky thing! I wish I'd seen REM in Vancouver...apparently it was a big hometown goodbye of sorts, since they've been there all year recording. What is it about Seattle and Vancouver that they love so much? They adore the Pacific Northwest it seems (Southwest for us Canadians :wink: ).

Calluna said:
12. Nightswimming

:drool:

They didn't play that one in Utrecht. But with so many great songs to choose from, there's always the one gem that has to be left out.

C ya!

Marty

Yeah, I was lucky. It helped that you don't need to get advance tickets for Bumbershoot. You just have to be commited enough to show up early on the day of the show and get a wristband. I'm sure the Vanouver show was great as well.

Michael Griffiths said:
What is it about Seattle and Vancouver that they love so much? They adore the Pacific Northwest it seems (Southwest for us Canadians :wink: ).

It might have something to do with the fact that most of the band members are either from the Northwest or transplanted here. I didn't know that before but Michael was talking about it during the show. I knew Peter Buck lived here but that was it. And can you blame them? It is so beautiful here at this time of year.

Wow, that's an awesome setlist. Just heard they are supposedly coming somewhere near Portland soon. I can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom