Quotes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
Someone, I think it was Olive, mentioned a book of quotes. I was just thinking maybe we could all post our favourite quotes here, or try to. I know this is sort of a DOL ecxperiment, but it may fly. They can be funny, or cute, sentimental...all that rot.

Oh, and thanks guys. :D

Ah, here's a few of mine:

"Who can tell me who I am?"
--from Shakespeare's King Lear

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"
--Oscar Wilde

"No living organism can continue to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality"
--The Haunting

"Sir, do they offer a 'noose package' whith this CD so you can hang yourself after you hear it?"
--My friend Mike....re: Leonard Cohen's Dance Me Till the End of Love

"Laugh now..but wait till I'm in the lower tax bracket!"
--as overheard in Calculus

Inertia - Latin for 'laziness'

Last edited:

"When we kill the animals to eat them, they end up killing us because
their flesh, which contains cholesterol and saturated fat, was never
intended for human beings."

-- William C. Roberts, M.D., editor of The American Journal of
Cardiology

"My life has a superb cast, but I can't figure out the plot."

~Ashleigh Brilliant

I love quotes-anytime I see one I really like somewhere I write it down.

Here's some of my favorites:

"I can't believe people have been killed, ever, there is no cause worth killing innocent people over"-My friend Sean

"The next time you think about making fun of someone, walk a mile in their shoes first. That way, when you do make fun of them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes"-Anonymous

"Do not the most moving moments of our lives find us all without words?"-Marcel Marceau

"Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and thought to myself, 'Where the heck is the ceiling?'"-Anon

"You know you love someone when all you want is for them to be happy, even if that happiness means that you're not a part of it"-Anon

"Mankind must put an end to war. Or war will put an end to mankind"-J.F.K.

"There was never a good war or a bad peace"-Unknown

"Today's country music is just really bad rock packaged as country music"-Tom Petty

"This record is dedicated to everyone who loves music just a little bit more than money."-On the back inside cover of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' latest CD, "The Last DJ"

"I often wonder if religion is the enemy of God. It's almost like religion is what happens when the Spirit has left the building"-Bono

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."-Unknown (someone posted this one on another board and I thought it was pretty funny)

"Who says that if you see the glass as half empty you need therapy? You're just thirsty."-Crystal Light Iced Tea ad

Angela

Last edited:
Wars not make one great. ~ Yoda

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. ~ Yoda to Luke

Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? ~ Yoda to Luke

"(fear) means EVERYTHING. Fear leads to anger - anger leads to hate - hatred.....leads to suffering."

ghetofabu said:
I like the one in my sig. I have some I like. I will post them later.

I had two in my sig, but they're not there anymore-not sure why at this time.

I'll post them here now, though:

"We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh"-Agnes Rippler (this is my all time favorite quote-it makes me think of my first boyfriend, and it's one I've found to be true so often)

"What's the glory in taking a man from his bed and gunning him down in front of his wife and his children? Where's the glory in that?"-Bono

Angela

I made my song a coat
Covered with embroideries
Out of old mythologies ~ A Coat, Yeats

The truth is the one thing that nobody will believe ~ George Bernard Shaw

I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. ~ He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven- Mr Yeats again

I just finished watching Fight Club and I really like the quote "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

There is only one religion, though there are a hundred versions of it. -George Bernard Shaw

If music be the food of love, play on! -Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

A word I've always liked more than happiness is joy. Happiness is a mood that comes and goes, whereas joy is just there. -Bono

I say there is no darkness but ignorance. -Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

We know what we are, but know not what we may be. -Shakespeare, Hamlet

Life is what happens when we're making plans for something else. -John Lennon

Coward die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste death but once. -Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

?Go sell your crazy someplace else, we?re all stocked up here.? -Jack Nichaulson, As Good As it Gets

?Is everything we do and see but a dream within a dream??
-Edgar Allan Poe

?You can?t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.? -Mick Jagger

We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools. -Martin Luther King Jr.

It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish.
-J. R. R. Tolkien

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
-Oscar Wilde

I have never let my schooling get in the way of my education. -Mark Twain :D

"They read good books, and quote, but never learn

a language other than the scream of rocket-burn.

Our straighter talk is drowned but ironclad:

Elections, money, empire, oil and Dad."

British Poet Laureate, Andrew Motion

I can't remember who said this quote...but I got my dad a card for his 50th birthday, and it said:

"Age is mind over matter; if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

I like that. :)

'It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.' Shakespeare, Macbeth

"If you stood on the bottom rail of a bridge, and leant over,
and watched the river slipping slowly away beneath you,
you would suddenly know everything that there is to be known." - winnie the pooh

'We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.' - t.s. eliot

deep said:

British Poet Laureate, Andrew Motion

What's a poet laureate?

mine is more of a conversation that went on last night:

idiot neighbor: Smells like popcorn in here...kinda...did you make popcorn?

me: *eats from bag of popcorn on my lap* uhh..nope.

her: oh, it smells like you did *leaves*

Sometimes idiocy hurts more than the idiot.

brdemi said:
How about this one, from the new NME Uncut U2 magazine:

"When the going gets tough, the tough call Bono."

Hehe, good one! I like it!

Originally posted by Bonochick
I can't remember who said this quote...but I got my dad a card for his 50th birthday, and it said:

"Age is mind over matter; if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

I like that. :)

So do I. That's very true.

I should share that with my parents the next time they complain about their ages.

Angela

Lilly said:

What's a poet laureate?

in the UK, the poet laureate is a poet appointed by the queen. kinda like the poet representing the queen and country. There are poet laureates in the usa as well, but they represent only a state, not the whole country.

well, I just wrote all that based on my sketchy knowledge. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me :)

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be?"
-- Nelson Mandela

"He considered music a liberating force: it liberated him from lonliness, introversion, the dust of the library; it opened the door of his body and allowed his soul to step out into the world to make friends."
-- Milan Kundera

?We don?t need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of do?s and don?ts: we need books, time, and silence. 'Thou shalt not' is soon forgotten, but 'Once upon a time' lasts forever.?
-- Philip Pullman

"What is freedom of expression? Without freedom to offend it does not exist."
-- Salman Rushdie

Here's how it works in the US:

The Poet Laureate is appointed annually by the Librarian of Congress and serves from October to May. In making the appointment, the Librarian consults with former appointees, the current Laureate and distinguished poetry critics. The position has existed under two separate titles: from 1937 to 1986 as ?Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress? and from 1986 forward as ?Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry.? The name was changed by an act of Congress in 1985.

The Laureate receives a $35,000 annual stipend funded by a gift from Archer M. Huntington. The Library keeps to a minimum the specific duties in order to afford incumbents maximum freedom to work on their own projects while at the Library. The Laureate gives an annual lecture and reading of his or her poetry and usually introduces poets in the Library's annual poetry series, the oldest in the Washington area, and among the oldest in the United States. This annual series of public poetry and fiction readings, lectures, symposia, and occasional dramatic performances began in the 1940s. Collectively the Laureates have brought more than 2,000 poets and authors to the Library to read for the Archive of Recorded Poetry and Literature.

Each Laureate brings a different emphasis to the position. Joseph Brodsky initiated the idea of providing poetry in airports, supermarkets and hotel rooms. Maxine Kumin started a popular series of poetry workshops for women at the Library of Congress. Gwendolyn Brooks met with elementary school students to encourage them to write poetry. Rita Dove brought together writers to explore the African diaspora through the eyes of its artists. She also championed children's poetry and jazz with poetry events. Robert Hass organized the "Watershed" conference that brought together noted novelists, poets and storytellers to talk about writing, nature and community.

Those interested in reading a more detailed history of the poetry consultantship at the Library of Congress should refer to William McGuire?s Poetry?s Catbird Seat: The Consultantship in Poetry in the English Language at the Library of Congress, 1937-1987 (Washington: Library of Congress, 1988. LC Call No.: Z733.U6M38 1988).

As bammo2 said, though, each state has a Poet Laureate as well.

So many quotes.. I will start off w some of one of my fav artists:

You sure you want to be with me?
I've nothing to give.

I drink till I'm drunk - And I smoke till I'm senseless.

We're hungry, beware of our appetite
Distant drums bring the news of a kill tonight...
My brain thinks bomb-like,
Beware of our appetite

I can't breathe and I can't see
MTV moves too fast, I refuse to understand
You go your way and I'll see mine
Feels like wasted time

Brand new, you're retro

She's my freak
I guess i'm weak
You ask what is this?
Mind your business

And in the meantime I'll create my own

They used to call me tricky-kid
I live the life they wish they did
Lived the life don't own a car
And now they call me superstar

Everybody wants a record deal
And everybody wants a...
And everybody wants a record deal
Fuck the deal
Everybody wants to be naked and famous
Naked and famous
And everybody wants to be naked and famous
Naked and famous
And everybody wants to be just like me
Naked and famous

One bullet grazed me, that didn't faze me
What could I say? I was havin' a fucked up day

To the noose, to the neck, to the boots, to the check
To the micic, to the psychic, to the circuit
To the games pains to blame
To the freedom, make it rain, make it same
Make it dance, not a chance, see her run
See her come, totaly cunning
She is dark heart, no soul, no soul
She is life line to the heartbeat
I can't feel the heartbeat

Record companies love when them kill themselves
It boost up the record sales

I need a head rest
And a feed from a warm breast

A man making hits
For the childhood of hicks
Underground like
Who's it sound like
You all sound the same
But you don't know my name

I believe in people lying
I believe in people dying
I believe in people trying
I believe in people crying

Now that I understand this right
Let me take it to the mike
This revolution has just begun

You want to estimate
The distance that it takes
To find a lover lover

Life's just like a movie
She's like a movie
Just like a movie
It doesn't move me
Move me
Move me
It doesn't move me
Life doesn't move me
It doesn't move me
Move me
It's like a blow to the head
It's like a blow to my head
It doesn't move me
Move me
Move me
Move me

- All quotes by Tricky from the albums "Maxinquaye", "Pre - Millenium Tension", "Angels with dirty faces" and "Blowback" -

Last edited:
A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others
--The Wizard of Oz

Even as we speak, time flies. Seize the day, and believe as little as possible in tomorrow.
--Quintus Horatius Flaccus (aka Horace)

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends
--Martin Luther King Jr

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

In taking revenge, a man is but even with his enemy; but in passing it over, he is superior.
--Sir Francis Bacon

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills;we shall never surrender."
--Winston Churchill

In order to live free and happily you must sacrifice boredom. It is not always an easy sacrifice.
-Richard Bach

When I hear somebody sigh, 'Life is hard,' I am always tempted to ask, 'Compared to what?'
-Sydney Harris

Moonlit_Angel said:
"The next time you think about making fun of someone, walk a mile in their shoes first. That way, when you do make fun of them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes"-Anonymous

"Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and thought to myself, 'Where the heck is the ceiling?'"-Anon

Actually I think both of these quotes have been attributed to the great writer of our time, Jack Handy :yes:

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
-Neil Armstrong

Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity.
-Christopher Morley

Last edited:
This is off the top of my head but I think it is verbatum. I always remember this one.

"Life is wasted on the living"

Douglas Adams. from one of his books.

My boyfriend told me this one yesterday: "Don't live with someone you can live with....... live with someone you can't live without."

I have a billion favorite quotes, written in journals, files on my computer, my calander, random notes, even saved as messages in my phone! :laugh: Maybe when I get a chance I'll share some of my favorites, but once I start it's hard to stop lol.

Back
Top Bottom