Quick help with some latin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2SavesTheWorld

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I'm looking for the most direct translation of:

To My Everything

in Latin.

I've gotten 3 or 4 different translations and a friend of mine needs it for a wedding band so we are really really trying to get it right....

Can anyone help?

I dont know if specific Latin speakers frequent the Languages forum MK, I'll move this to Lem Stand where there is more traffic.

And uh, I dont even speak English, let alone Latin :D
Sorry!

i studied latin for 5 years

but that was long ago and i have forgotten it all, sorry

well maybe not all, maybe you could use this phrase instead

caveat emptor

perfect for a wedding band if you ask me

I believe HeartlandGirl has a degree of some sorts in Latin, MA or BA. (then again, she may have made it up.....it wouldnt suprise me......) :wink:

I will attempt to direct her this way.

Last edited:
The adjective 'omnis' means 'every' or 'all'. Typically, the plural omnia is translated as 'all things' or 'everything'. But I'm not sure you want to refer to one person in the plural. So try this:

If the person is female:

"Meae omni"

If the person is male:

"Meo omni"

Literally, those mean "to my all" which can then more loosely mean "to my everything." The word for 'to' doesn't show up because it's built into the words, which are in the dative case, meaning "to" or "for," as in I gave a present "to you" (dative).

If you want the plural, it would be "Meis omnibus."

This one's tricky because in Latin, they might say "You are all things to me" but I don't think they'd ever say "You are my everything." Omnis is much more literal than metaphorical.

I'll think on it a little more and let you know if I can come up with something better. I'd be interested in seeing what you have come up with so far.

Last edited:
Irrumabo et pedicabo... :macdevil:

By the way, you probably don't want to use a translation that uses "ad." "Ad" means "to" in a directional sense, as in, I walked to the store.

yertle-the-turtle said:
IWasBored has EXCELLENT Latin. :wink:

hahahahaa

what yertle means is i took two semesters of latin when i got here last year, and didn't learn shit.

HeartlandGirl said:
Irrumabo et pedicabo... :macdevil:

By the way, you probably don't want to use a translation that uses "ad." "Ad" means "to" in a directional sense, as in, I walked to the store.

:yes:

I realised that after I posted it. I knew it wasn't right somehow.........

My main memory of Latin I learnt was our annual 'Latin Reading Competition'. I can remember useless things like:

Marcus et Sexte sub arbora sedent. Marcus rident. Cur tu rident, Marcus? Ego rident quoqa Flavia cantat.

which means 'Marcus and Sextus sit under a tree. Marcus laughs. Why are you laughing, Marcus? I am laughing because flavia is singing

Or something......

I've got a book called 'How to insult, abuse and insinuate in Classical Latin'. Apparantly, 'Nunc sunt crura pilis et sunt tibi pectora seatis horrida, sed mens est, pannyche, vulsa tibi' means 'as it is, your legs are bristling with hair, and you chest is a deep-shag rug, but your mind, Pannychus, has been plucked smooth'

;hmm:

Last edited:
What? LATIN?! Nonne tibi jocari!

So, I took Latin for a while...but that was also a while ago. I'll give it a shot, anyway...

"ad me omnus" (yes, this sounds very juvenile and Heartland Girl is probably MUCH more close to the actual translation that I am, but this was my initial response to the topic)

????

What about "ego sum asinus?"

I kid, I kid :p

Don't worry, bammo. It's not directed toward you. :D I just wanted to throw that out there when Chizip said Semper ubi sub ubi. It's one of my favorite quotes in all of Latin poetry. :up:

HeartlandGirl said:
Don't worry, bammo. It's not directed toward you. :D I just wanted to throw that out there when Chizip said Semper ubi sub ubi. It's one of my favorite quotes in all of Latin poetry. :up:

:yes: Catullus :up:

The only Latin text I have any real knowledge of is Pliny. We spent bloody YEARS studying Pliny at school.

Pliny the Younger's account of the AD79 Vesuvius eruption is pretty cool though :up:

Oh, we studying Virgil's Aeneid as well. :huh:

I had a Pliny class, too. It was pretty good. In our Catullus class, we actually translated the "Irrumabo et pedicabo" poem in class out loud. Now that was a good time!

Catullllluuuussss

i remember that joker

oh man the shenanigans we pulled in that class, ah the memories

HeartlandGirl said:
The adjective 'omnis' means 'every' or 'all'. Typically, the plural omnia is translated as 'all things' or 'everything'. But I'm not sure you want to refer to one person in the plural. So try this:

If the person is female:

"Meae omni"

If the person is male:

"Meo omni"

Literally, those mean "to my all" which can then more loosely mean "to my everything." The word for 'to' doesn't show up because it's built into the words, which are in the dative case, meaning "to" or "for," as in I gave a present "to you" (dative).

If you want the plural, it would be "Meis omnibus."

This one's tricky because in Latin, they might say "You are all things to me" but I don't think they'd ever say "You are my everything." Omnis is much more literal than metaphorical.

I'll think on it a little more and let you know if I can come up with something better. I'd be interested in seeing what you have come up with so far.

I don't know how 'final' it is, but there's the answer I came up with. I even ran it by some of my friends with PhDs in Latin who read Latin all the time. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom