Questions of sports etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
Is it appropriate to refer to a team as "us" or "we"?

I vote no.

Wow, now I feel like less of a prick. Thanks guys!

My roommate calls the Mavs and Rangers "we" and "us" constantly and it's starting to drive me up the wall.

Me: "Fonzie had another bomb today."

Roommate: "We should have never traded him."

It's true. 'We' is unacceptable.

inmyplace13 said:
Me: "Fonzie had another bomb today."

Roommate: "We should have never traded him."

It's true. 'We' is unacceptable.

I don't mind it so much in this context. It's when fans start talking about actual plays on the field, e.g. "we had a huge 4-run rally in the seventh to pull ahead" that it gets really annoying.

Next question:

Jerseys. Is it only appropriate for a grown man to wear one if and only if he is at an actual game?

I vote yes.

the rockin edge said:
you mean it's inapproriate to wear them any other time than a game?

More often than not. A grown man walking around the mall in a Teixeira authentic jersey (however amazing Tex may be) looks like an idiot.

Trust me, I'm no fashionista (fashionisto? masculine?) I'm looking at it from a sports perspective. The jerseys I think look really stupid on everyday people are basketball and hockey, although the button-up baseball and massive football jerseys are no prizes themselves.

That being said, I actually think soccer jerseys look cool.

I'm just really bored as the semester is winding down. I know this isn't a particularly compelling thread :sigh:

inmyplace13 said:

More often than not. A grown man walking around the mall in a Teixeira authentic jersey (however amazing Tex may be) looks like an idiot.

Not as much as the guy wearing an authentic jersey with his name on the back. :wink:

I wore a Sox jersey to Fenway today. Don't usually wear that one unless I'm at a game or it's playoff time. T-shirt jerseys though I will wear in public and not think twice about it. I'm not exactly the only person wearing one in Massachusetts, so maybe that's why.

inmyplace13 said:
Trust me, I'm no fashionista (fashionisto? masculine?) I'm looking at it from a sports perspective. The jerseys I think look really stupid on everyday people are basketball and hockey, although the button-up baseball and massive football jerseys are no prizes themselves.

That being said, I actually think soccer jerseys look cool.

yeah, i'd agree it depends on the sport. basketball jerseys look silly but soccer shirts look good. to me at least.

I'm not sure about all the other different sports jerseys.

T shirts jerseys are definitely fine, they're shirts. I wear my Michael Young one often and my old Nash Mavs one more often than that.

WildHoneyAlways said:
:hmm: didn't you face paint last year during the nba playoffs? :wink:

:angry: That was miss imp13 and we were AT the game. It's the Mavericks, they're that good. Plus Mark Cuban gives away free tickets to fans who show up before the game painted and get really rowdy.

I wasn't painted, I was merely wearing my homemade Jason Terry jersey.

mav4bf.jpg

:drool: Mavs playoffs

inmyplace13 said:
:angry: That was miss imp13 and we were AT the game. It's the Mavericks, they're that good. Plus Mark Cuban gives away free tickets to fans who show up before the game painted and get really rowdy.

I wasn't painted, I was merely wearing my homemade Jason Terry jersey.

mav4bf.jpg

:drool: Mavs playoffs

:giggle: The homemade jersey is pretty sweet.
:angry: You should have painted your face too.

I wear my t-shirt jerseys all the time too. I just got a new Buehrle one.
:drool:

WildHoneyAlways said:
I'm in no position to judge what other people wear. As long as the jersey isn't redone in neon green, baby blue or pink. :sick:

I sincerely hope that people don't go walking around in jerseys in any of those colors. :sick:

I have a 1998 USA Women's Olympic hockey team jersey, signed by four of the gold medal winning team members. :love:

You think I didn't wear that every chance I got? Hell yes... Even when I wasn't at games, too. :p

But girls are allowed, we look cute in 'em. :sexywink:

WildHoneyAlways said:

:giggle: The homemade jersey is pretty sweet.
:angry: You should have painted your face too.

Thanks, I thought it was pretty sharp. It even came in handy on Halloween. I went home from university that weekend to see U2 in Dallas on the 29th, so I figured I wouldn't be hitting any Halloween parties. I got back down here that Sunday and, sure enough, huge party going on. Put on some blue athletic shorts, the homemade Terry jersey, a headband, and a fake mustache. Worked like a charm.

Maybe I'll paint my face this year for the unavoidable series with San Antonio in the playoffs, since I intended on trying to get the free tickets anyway. :hmm:

:up: on Buehrle. Always been a fan of that guy. Gotta say my favorite White Sox player is Podsednik though.

Speedy center fielders :yes: (I was one, myself, you see)

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
But girls are allowed, we look cute in 'em. :sexywink:

Not going to disagree. Nothing sexier than a girl in a Dirk jersey. Used to be nothing sexier than a girl in a Nash jersey before he left.

WildHoneyAlways said:

and :shh: he plays left now for the Sock. :sexywink:

This I did not know, but then again I've been pretty engrossed in the Rangers' abysmal start. Excuse me, our abysmal start.

That being said, Hanky Panky has two bombs tonight and this no name on the mound looks pretty decent, by which I mean is making a good start this once. We'll see if it goes anywhere.

inmyplace13 said:
Next question:

Jerseys. Is it only appropriate for a grown man to wear one if and only if he is at an actual game?

I vote yes.

at a game? yes
at a bar/party? yes
chilling at your house/apartment? yes
every other situation? only on a game day. basketball and hockey jerseys? only on a big game day.

jersey with your own name on the back? never ok... unless your kids bought it for you or something and you're forced to wear it when they're around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom