Questions of sports etiquette - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2006, 12:29 AM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

I saw a slew of Bellhorn, Pokey, and Nomar shirts at fenway. Come on folks, retire them and pony up 20 bucks for a new one.

AHHHH I saw that too....drived me crazy..come on people suck it up!!

I would not be caught dead in my Bledsoe, Law or Vinateri jersey...I had some bad luck picking players!!

Old 04-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #47
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:57 AM
the good thing about red sox home jerseys is that they have no name on the back, so if your favorite player gets traded, you can sitll wear it.

which reminds me of another pet peeve... people who get replica jerseys with last names on the back when the jersey normaly would not have a last name... i.e. yankees and red sox jerseys. i wanna smack the people every time i see a yankee pinstripe jersey with "JETER" across the back.

i also don't like when people get replica jerseys and the lettering is the wrong color or something... i mean really... you can get replicas with the proper lettering.. if you're gonna get a jersey, get it right... if you're gonna get the wrong damned lettering you might as well just get one of those jersey t-shirts

Old 04-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

There are 3,297 Yankee Jerseys in circulation with "Jeder" on the back, and another 1,486 with "Jeeter".
Old 04-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

there's a mets jersey with "MARTINEZ" on the back circulating around the headache abode

there's also a fair number of road red sox #6 jerseys sprinkled throughout shea stadium... anyone know what the significance of this might be?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Answer to your questions:

1.Is it appropriate to refer to a team as "us" or "we"?

Of course it is!!! It's always a case of "us" or "them", if you are a fan you are part of the team.

2. Is it appropriate to wear jersey's outside of a sporting event?

Hell yeah......i mean a new jersey can cost any where between $150-$400, you have a right to wear it where ever you want, except Weddings,funerals.......some nightclubs!

The way i see it, if you pay for tickets,merchadise and club/membership fees, you are paying for your right to refer to your team as "mine","us","we".

Old 04-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!
Answer to your questions:

Of course it is!!! It's always a case of "us" or "them", if you are a fan you are part of the team.

2. Is it appropriate to wear jersey's outside of a sporting event?

Hell yeah......i mean a new jersey can cost any where between $150-$400, you have a right to wear it where ever you want, except Weddings,funerals.......some nightclubs!

The way i see it, if you pay for tickets,merchadise and club/membership fees, you are paying for your right to refer to your team as "mine","us","we".

ummmm no... fans are not part of the team.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:35 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:

We. Us. Should I be whispered in the same breath as Mark Teixeira or Dirk Nowitzki?

Absolutely not. It's them. It's they. It's their. It's not my team, and I'm not on it. I just want them to win.

Analogy time: If someone asks me if Coldplay is on tour and I say, "yes, we're on tour until July" does that make sense? Nope. Being a fan, even a crazed, foaming at the teeth man (much like my love for the Mavs) doesn't make you any more part of the action. Until I'm suiting up next to DJ Mbenga, I'm not calling them we.

Sorry if the band analogy was bad.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor

actually that was a very good analogy. well done
Old 04-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #54
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

ummmm no... fans are not part of the team.
How do you come to that conclusion? I mean.....you go the games,you are supporting your teams,buying products, using services that sponsor those teams...by that you are "helping" that team exist.....everyone that would know you.....knows.....you "literally" are not part of the team that is actually on the field! Duh!

When the term "us","my","mine","whatever".....is used...... its meant as a endearement, as a type of support!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #55
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

We. Us. Should I be whispered in the same breath as Mark Teixeira or Dirk Nowitzki?

Absolutely not. It's them. It's they. It's their. It's not my team, and I'm not on it. I just want them to win.

Analogy time: If someone asks me if Coldplay is on tour and I say, "yes, we're on tour until July" does that make sense? Nope. Being a fan, even a crazed, foaming at the teeth man (much like my love for the Mavs) doesn't make you any more part of the action. Until I'm suiting up next to DJ Mbenga, I'm not calling them we.

Sorry if the band analogy was bad.
The anology was good!

but.........i've heard of no-one refer to a band or concert in that sorta way! I think it really is only used in a sporting context because of the obvious competition that exists between fans from different codes/teams!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
there's a mets jersey with "MARTINEZ" on the back circulating around the headache abode

there's also a fair number of road red sox #6 jerseys sprinkled throughout shea stadium... anyone know what the significance of this might be?
Oh come on. You guys are just perpetuating an injustice. The least you could do is complement them with Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley jerseys.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:45 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

I still say it was a passed ball and should have been on Gedman, so leave Stanley out of the mix. Place blame squarely where it belongs...Calvin "deer in the headlights" Schiraldi.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

I turned 16 the day after the fiasco known as Game 6 occurred.

That birthday sucked.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:57 AM
Okay seriously, my female friends have never once shamed someone for using "Us" or "We". This might be a guy thing, I don't know. lol
Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

How do you come to that conclusion? I mean.....you go the games,you are supporting your teams,buying products, using services that sponsor those teams...by that you are "helping" that team exist.....everyone that would know you.....knows.....you "literally" are not part of the team that is actually on the field! Duh!

When the term "us","my","mine","whatever".....is used...... its meant as a endearement, as a type of support!
i guess it has to do with my background in athletics... "we" refers to the team. that's it. while i appreciated any fans who would come to the game to support the team, i never once considered them a part of the team... a part of "we." heck the school where i'm an assistant coach now the crowd's have been rediculous... 1,200 people packing a high school gym that holds under 1,000 for a playoff game, showing up 3 hours before hand... certainly a very intimidating presence for a 16 year old kid to have to play in... and i still would never consider those fans to be a part of the team... despite the cheesey little "6th man" t-shirts that we bought to be dispersed throughout the crowd. they're not at practice every day... they're not taking at least 3 hours a day out of their day working, sweating, bleeding, blah blah blah... they are not "we." so if i considered myself to be a "we" with a team that i support, i'd be a bit of a hypocrite, wouldn't i...

hope that answered your question.