Questions of sports etiquette - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-13-2006, 12:29 AM   #46
War Child
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 724
Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail


I saw a slew of Bellhorn, Pokey, and Nomar shirts at fenway. Come on folks, retire them and pony up 20 bucks for a new one.

AHHHH I saw that too....drived me crazy..come on people suck it up!!

I would not be caught dead in my Bledsoe, Law or Vinateri jersey...I had some bad luck picking players!!
__________________

__________________
ljclary is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #47
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,424
Local Time: 10:57 AM
the good thing about red sox home jerseys is that they have no name on the back, so if your favorite player gets traded, you can sitll wear it.

which reminds me of another pet peeve... people who get replica jerseys with last names on the back when the jersey normaly would not have a last name... i.e. yankees and red sox jerseys. i wanna smack the people every time i see a yankee pinstripe jersey with "JETER" across the back.

i also don't like when people get replica jerseys and the lettering is the wrong color or something... i mean really... you can get replicas with the proper lettering.. if you're gonna get a jersey, get it right... if you're gonna get the wrong damned lettering you might as well just get one of those jersey t-shirts
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 04-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,485
Local Time: 10:57 AM
There are 3,297 Yankee Jerseys in circulation with "Jeder" on the back, and another 1,486 with "Jeeter".
__________________
Hewson is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,424
Local Time: 10:57 AM
there's a mets jersey with "MARTINEZ" on the back circulating around the headache abode

there's also a fair number of road red sox #6 jerseys sprinkled throughout shea stadium... anyone know what the significance of this might be?
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 04-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #50
Refugee
 
fly so high!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St Andrews NSW Australia
Posts: 1,835
Local Time: 01:57 AM
Answer to your questions:

1.Is it appropriate to refer to a team as "us" or "we"?

Of course it is!!! It's always a case of "us" or "them", if you are a fan you are part of the team.

2. Is it appropriate to wear jersey's outside of a sporting event?

Hell yeah......i mean a new jersey can cost any where between $150-$400, you have a right to wear it where ever you want, except Weddings,funerals.......some nightclubs!

The way i see it, if you pay for tickets,merchadise and club/membership fees, you are paying for your right to refer to your team as "mine","us","we".




__________________
fly so high! is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,424
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!
Answer to your questions:

1.Is it appropriate to refer to a team as "us" or "we"?

Of course it is!!! It's always a case of "us" or "them", if you are a fan you are part of the team.

2. Is it appropriate to wear jersey's outside of a sporting event?

Hell yeah......i mean a new jersey can cost any where between $150-$400, you have a right to wear it where ever you want, except Weddings,funerals.......some nightclubs!

The way i see it, if you pay for tickets,merchadise and club/membership fees, you are paying for your right to refer to your team as "mine","us","we".


ummmm no... fans are not part of the team.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 04-13-2006, 11:35 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!

1.Is it appropriate to refer to a team as "us" or "we"?

Of course it is!!! It's always a case of "us" or "them", if you are a fan you are part of the team.
We. Us. Should I be whispered in the same breath as Mark Teixeira or Dirk Nowitzki?

Absolutely not. It's them. It's they. It's their. It's not my team, and I'm not on it. I just want them to win.

Analogy time: If someone asks me if Coldplay is on tour and I say, "yes, we're on tour until July" does that make sense? Nope. Being a fan, even a crazed, foaming at the teeth man (much like my love for the Mavs) doesn't make you any more part of the action. Until I'm suiting up next to DJ Mbenga, I'm not calling them we.



Sorry if the band analogy was bad.
__________________
impy13 is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,424
Local Time: 10:57 AM
actually that was a very good analogy. well done
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 04-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #54
Refugee
 
fly so high!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St Andrews NSW Australia
Posts: 1,835
Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase



ummmm no... fans are not part of the team.
How do you come to that conclusion? I mean.....you go the games,you are supporting your teams,buying products, using services that sponsor those teams...by that you are "helping" that team exist.....everyone that would know you.....knows.....you "literally" are not part of the team that is actually on the field! Duh!

When the term "us","my","mine","whatever".....is used...... its meant as a endearement, as a type of support!
__________________
fly so high! is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #55
Refugee
 
fly so high!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St Andrews NSW Australia
Posts: 1,835
Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13


We. Us. Should I be whispered in the same breath as Mark Teixeira or Dirk Nowitzki?

Absolutely not. It's them. It's they. It's their. It's not my team, and I'm not on it. I just want them to win.

Analogy time: If someone asks me if Coldplay is on tour and I say, "yes, we're on tour until July" does that make sense? Nope. Being a fan, even a crazed, foaming at the teeth man (much like my love for the Mavs) doesn't make you any more part of the action. Until I'm suiting up next to DJ Mbenga, I'm not calling them we.



Sorry if the band analogy was bad.
The anology was good!

but.........i've heard of no-one refer to a band or concert in that sorta way! I think it really is only used in a sporting context because of the obvious competition that exists between fans from different codes/teams!
__________________
fly so high! is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,572
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
there's a mets jersey with "MARTINEZ" on the back circulating around the headache abode

there's also a fair number of road red sox #6 jerseys sprinkled throughout shea stadium... anyone know what the significance of this might be?
Oh come on. You guys are just perpetuating an injustice. The least you could do is complement them with Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley jerseys.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 04-14-2006, 06:45 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,485
Local Time: 10:57 AM
I still say it was a passed ball and should have been on Gedman, so leave Stanley out of the mix. Place blame squarely where it belongs...Calvin "deer in the headlights" Schiraldi.
__________________
Hewson is offline  
Old 04-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,061
Local Time: 10:57 AM
I turned 16 the day after the fiasco known as Game 6 occurred.

That birthday sucked.

__________________
phanan is online now  
Old 04-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
WildHoneyAlways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In a glass case of emotion
Posts: 8,158
Local Time: 09:57 AM
Okay seriously, my female friends have never once shamed someone for using "Us" or "We". This might be a guy thing, I don't know. lol
__________________
WildHoneyAlways is offline  
Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,424
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!


How do you come to that conclusion? I mean.....you go the games,you are supporting your teams,buying products, using services that sponsor those teams...by that you are "helping" that team exist.....everyone that would know you.....knows.....you "literally" are not part of the team that is actually on the field! Duh!

When the term "us","my","mine","whatever".....is used...... its meant as a endearement, as a type of support!
i guess it has to do with my background in athletics... "we" refers to the team. that's it. while i appreciated any fans who would come to the game to support the team, i never once considered them a part of the team... a part of "we." heck the school where i'm an assistant coach now the crowd's have been rediculous... 1,200 people packing a high school gym that holds under 1,000 for a playoff game, showing up 3 hours before hand... certainly a very intimidating presence for a 16 year old kid to have to play in... and i still would never consider those fans to be a part of the team... despite the cheesey little "6th man" t-shirts that we bought to be dispersed throughout the crowd. they're not at practice every day... they're not taking at least 3 hours a day out of their day working, sweating, bleeding, blah blah blah... they are not "we." so if i considered myself to be a "we" with a team that i support, i'd be a bit of a hypocrite, wouldn't i...

hope that answered your question.
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com