Questions of sports etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

jersey with your own name on the back? never ok... unless your kids bought it for you or something and you're forced to wear it when they're around.
Ah but what if you share a last name with a player, and didn't have it specially made?

And of course what about a Blackhawks jersey with "Griswold" on it at Christmas?

I have no problems with people wearing jerseys. I have a Packers jersey, and my boyfriend has several Red Wings jerseys that he looks very nice in...I love it when he wears them. :drool:

also... if you were not alive when a player played, you are not allowed to wear his throwback jersey.

That is an excellent rule.

:hmm: i'll allow it

also... if you were not alive when a player played, you are not allowed to wear his throwback jersey.

I guess I have to get rid of my Ted Williams tshirt jersey then :( :wink:

That sounds pretty fair to me.

I also think that there needs to be a rule that once a player leaves a team (free agency, trade, release) you cannot wear the jersey anymore, especially if it's a tshirt jersey. Don't tell me it's a throwback either.

I saw a slew of Bellhorn, Pokey, and Nomar shirts at fenway. Come on folks, retire them and pony up 20 bucks for a new one.

randhail said:

I also think that there needs to be a rule that once a player leaves a team (free agency, trade, release) you cannot wear the jersey anymore, especially if it's a tshirt jersey. Don't tell me it's a throwback either.

I'm reading this as I wear my old Nash Mavs shirt.

Thing about it is the new shirts don't fit as well and they had no white Josh Howard shirts the last time I was at the AAC.

Maybe I should get one of the green P Diddy alternate ones. :hmm:

i will admit... i own two authentic dirk jerseys... one blue road jersey, one green alternate jersey.

i likes me some dirk.

I've heard this from you before. I thought you were a good man back then and I continue to think so.

Any friend of Dirk's is a friend of mine.

randhail said:

I saw a slew of Bellhorn, Pokey, and Nomar shirts at fenway. Come on folks, retire them and pony up 20 bucks for a new one.

AHHHH I saw that too....drived me crazy..come on people suck it up!!

I would not be caught dead in my Bledsoe, Law or Vinateri jersey...I had some bad luck picking players!!

the good thing about red sox home jerseys is that they have no name on the back, so if your favorite player gets traded, you can sitll wear it.

which reminds me of another pet peeve... people who get replica jerseys with last names on the back when the jersey normaly would not have a last name... i.e. yankees and red sox jerseys. i wanna smack the people every time i see a yankee pinstripe jersey with "JETER" across the back.

i also don't like when people get replica jerseys and the lettering is the wrong color or something... i mean really... you can get replicas with the proper lettering.. if you're gonna get a jersey, get it right... if you're gonna get the wrong damned lettering you might as well just get one of those jersey t-shirts

Answer to your questions:

1.Is it appropriate to refer to a team as "us" or "we"?

Of course it is!!! It's always a case of "us" or "them", if you are a fan you are part of the team.

2. Is it appropriate to wear jersey's outside of a sporting event?

Hell yeah......i mean a new jersey can cost any where between $150-$400, you have a right to wear it where ever you want, except Weddings,funerals.......some nightclubs!

The way i see it, if you pay for tickets,merchadise and club/membership fees, you are paying for your right to refer to your team as "mine","us","we".

:shrug:

fly so high! said:
Answer to your questions:

Of course it is!!! It's always a case of "us" or "them", if you are a fan you are part of the team.

2. Is it appropriate to wear jersey's outside of a sporting event?

Hell yeah......i mean a new jersey can cost any where between $150-$400, you have a right to wear it where ever you want, except Weddings,funerals.......some nightclubs!

The way i see it, if you pay for tickets,merchadise and club/membership fees, you are paying for your right to refer to your team as "mine","us","we".

:shrug:

ummmm no... fans are not part of the team.

fly so high! said:

We. Us. Should I be whispered in the same breath as Mark Teixeira or Dirk Nowitzki?

Absolutely not. It's them. It's they. It's their. It's not my team, and I'm not on it. I just want them to win.

Analogy time: If someone asks me if Coldplay is on tour and I say, "yes, we're on tour until July" does that make sense? Nope. Being a fan, even a crazed, foaming at the teeth man (much like my love for the Mavs) doesn't make you any more part of the action. Until I'm suiting up next to DJ Mbenga, I'm not calling them we.

Sorry if the band analogy was bad.

ummmm no... fans are not part of the team.

:huh: How do you come to that conclusion? I mean.....you go the games,you are supporting your teams,buying products, using services that sponsor those teams...by that you are "helping" that team exist.....everyone that would know you.....knows.....you "literally" are not part of the team that is actually on the field! Duh!

When the term "us","my","mine","whatever".....is used...... its meant as a endearement, as a type of support!

inmyplace13 said:

We. Us. Should I be whispered in the same breath as Mark Teixeira or Dirk Nowitzki?

Absolutely not. It's them. It's they. It's their. It's not my team, and I'm not on it. I just want them to win.

Analogy time: If someone asks me if Coldplay is on tour and I say, "yes, we're on tour until July" does that make sense? Nope. Being a fan, even a crazed, foaming at the teeth man (much like my love for the Mavs) doesn't make you any more part of the action. Until I'm suiting up next to DJ Mbenga, I'm not calling them we.

Sorry if the band analogy was bad.

The anology was good!

but.........i've heard of no-one refer to a band or concert in that sorta way! I think it really is only used in a sporting context because of the obvious competition that exists between fans from different codes/teams!

there's a mets jersey with "MARTINEZ" on the back circulating around the headache abode

there's also a fair number of road red sox #6 jerseys sprinkled throughout shea stadium... anyone know what the significance of this might be? :wink:

Oh come on. You guys are just perpetuating an injustice. The least you could do is complement them with Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley jerseys.

I still say it was a passed ball and should have been on Gedman, so leave Stanley out of the mix. Place blame squarely where it belongs...Calvin "deer in the headlights" Schiraldi.

fly so high! said:

:huh: How do you come to that conclusion? I mean.....you go the games,you are supporting your teams,buying products, using services that sponsor those teams...by that you are "helping" that team exist.....everyone that would know you.....knows.....you "literally" are not part of the team that is actually on the field! Duh!

When the term "us","my","mine","whatever".....is used...... its meant as a endearement, as a type of support!

i guess it has to do with my background in athletics... "we" refers to the team. that's it. while i appreciated any fans who would come to the game to support the team, i never once considered them a part of the team... a part of "we." heck the school where i'm an assistant coach now the crowd's have been rediculous... 1,200 people packing a high school gym that holds under 1,000 for a playoff game, showing up 3 hours before hand... certainly a very intimidating presence for a 16 year old kid to have to play in... and i still would never consider those fans to be a part of the team... despite the cheesey little "6th man" t-shirts that we bought to be dispersed throughout the crowd. they're not at practice every day... they're not taking at least 3 hours a day out of their day working, sweating, bleeding, blah blah blah... they are not "we." so if i considered myself to be a "we" with a team that i support, i'd be a bit of a hypocrite, wouldn't i...

:shrug: hope that answered your question.

Back
Top Bottom