Questions For Digital Camera Experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I just ordered a Samsung 2.1 Digimax w/3x optical/ 2x digital zoom.

Is that a good camera(I got it for less than $300.00 after a $50.00 rebate-thought that was a good deal)?

Will it be too complicated for me?-I am a photography/computer 'idiot'. I also have a printer that can print right off the card.

Any tips for using it at a show-if I can even get it into the arena at Vegas-all I've used so far is my crap 35 mm APS camera-and my pics were AWFUL. I think the security will be very tight there and I won't be able to get it in. And any tips in general for using a digital camera? Thanks.

That sounds like a good camera, maybe a little expensive? Not sure, but sounds like a decent deal.

You'll be able to get it in. If I got mine inat MSG, a medium sized digital camera, you'll get yours in. Don't hide it, you don't have to, everyone in my line showed it to the guards. They didn't care. Very cool.

Hmmm...

Well, my worry is the 3x optical zoom. Not a whole lot, really, and digital zoom just pixellates your pictures.

Film is gonna be better quality, most assuredly. You just need a camera with a nice iris range (F 2.8+ is considered professional-grade) and great optical zoom. Personally, I think perhaps the $300 could have been spent on a fairly decent, but older manual camera with a minimum 3200 ISO film, which could have given you much better optical zoom capabilities, but, with no bells-and-whistles, would require you to adjust your own settings for great pictures.

It's worth a try getting these pics at the concert, but, unless you're really close and have good light, I don't know how successful you will be.

The problem with photography is that it's still really expensive to get anything impressive. For regular cameras, the film and good lenses are expensive. For digital cameras, they are just really expensive in themselves. An objectively great digital camera will still run you well over $1000. And you still have to worry about lenses.

What am I currently using? A $300 manual camera with ISO 400 B/W film. Simple, but enjoyable.

Eek...I fear this all will make no sense to a non-photographer. Maybe someone else can respond better?

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Anyone else? Please
smile.gif

ok i am considering buying a digital.

1. Is it worth it yet - i have an SLR and ok compact (crap for u2 shows though).

2. Should i wait another year or two.

3. Any suggested makes / models that are durable and easy to use?

Back
Top Bottom