question to smokers affected by UK ban (pubs) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2007, 04:22 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
I totally agree. I'm all for no smoking in restaurants. I dont like smelling cigarettes when I'm eating. And what's really gross is I've seen people smoking AND eating at the same time. That's just disgusting. I dont agree with no smoking in bars though. Drinks and smokes just go together.
Yeah, it's actually funny how restaurants think they're gonna suffer by becoming a 'non-smoking' establishment. They shouldn't complain as they can make more money from all the people who finish their meal quicker, because they can't just sit there and smoke afterwards. Now, the booths and tables are freed up faster and the restaurant's waiting times are cut in half, so more people can be served without having to instead choose a different restaurant to go to because they're used to be a significant waiting time there.

As for the bars ... it seems like a bad situation could develop. As what will most smokers now do with their 'non light-up' time ?? It seems there's only one conclusion if they decide to stay at that bar. They will, of course, drink more excessively ... which may be a good thing for the bar because they can make more money. But, it's NOT a good thing for the person who might have to drive home that evening.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:50 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:16 AM
I think I read somewhere that pubs and bars have lost profits since the smoking ban, since people are drinking less (or for less time) and that drunken crime has decreased in some areas, but I can't find a news report on that now, so maybe it was just hearsay.

Quote:

That's good. When I got my cats I started smoking outside only.
I am a concious smoker. I always stand far away from non smokers and I dont blow my smoke near them either.

I love the smoking ban. As yertle said, it's nice to be able to go see a band play and not emerge reeking of smoke. It's also nice to be able to eat at a pub from time to time. The only thing I don't like about it is that sometimes it's difficult to walk somewhere because the pavement is packed with smokers.

Regarding smoking and eating, I always see people cycling and smoking.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:04 AM   #18
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 10:16 AM
We've had the ban here for a couple of months. The word on the street is that instead of bars smelling like smoke they now reek of B.O.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #19
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Quote:
I totally agree. I'm all for no smoking in restaurants. I dont like smelling cigarettes when I'm eating. And what's really gross is I've seen people smoking AND eating at the same time. That's just disgusting. I dont agree with no smoking in bars though. Drinks and smokes just go together.
exactly! the world needs more smokers like you

i absolutely hate smoke but drinking and smoking do go hand in hand. if anything, i'd be shocked to go in a bar and NOT smell smoke or anything. it's part of the experience. i know here they're not banning it for bars, i believe they're the only ones exempt.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:16 PM
I'm glad that they finaly banned smoking in public places. I hated going to the restaurant and tasting smoking-pizza. I hate it!!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

the smoking ban's been in place here in new york for quite some time now... when they first did it i was like "well the bar's the one place where i kinda expect it," but i have to tell ya it's F'ing wonderful to be able to go out to a bar and not come home smelling like you were at a smoke shop all night.

while it used to not bother me at all to be in a bar with dozens of smokers, now that the law has been in effect for so long if i go to a place that's lax on the enforcement and just one smoker lights up it annoys the crap out of me.

i hate to sound like one of those no good hippies and all but really has been great. to top it off many bars out here have built outdoor patio areas to allow those who want to smoke to still have a place where they can go, yet still be able to drink, which makes it all the better in the summer time.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Michigan needs to get on this, stat.

I love going to other cities and being able to breathe.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Michigan needs to get on this, stat.

I love going to other cities and being able to breathe.
No kidding! Although I believe GR passed something that should be going into effect soon. I just got an e-mail from one of our college VPs notifying everyone of the change in location of some of our "smoking pits" b/c of new city codes that restrict how close designated smoking areas can be to buildings.

When we were in Honolulu for the show the first thing I noticed was how clean the air and streets are and how I was never bothered by people smoking on the streets.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #24
45:33

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

exactly! the world needs more smokers like you

i absolutely hate smoke but drinking and smoking do go hand in hand. if anything, i'd be shocked to go in a bar and NOT smell smoke or anything. it's part of the experience. i know here they're not banning it for bars, i believe they're the only ones exempt.
Yeah it was strange, I felt the same way. I'm not a smoker - well I've had a one or two - but if they'd banned it in bars I would have been quite upset because that's what they're for, smoking and drinking...

I play down at my local cricket club and they all smoke like chimmneys but it's never been something that's bothered me. I know heaps of people who can't stand it, but it's not a big issue for me.