Question of the day: Like Da-Da

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

notiti

Refugee
Question of the day: Like Da-Da

Whassup y'all? Ok question of the day. Who all out there has got the love for hip hop that I myself posess? See I went to go see a Jurrassic 5 show the other day (with Dialated Peeples and Supernatural thankyouverymuch) and I sat there and shook my fine ham in ways thought inappropriate for white girls at most times.
I am just really getting to the point where I feel that with a few shining examples (U2 and the Gorillaz at the forefront) there ain't nothing new going down in popular music, except in hip hop. The underground stuff is my favorite, because it is more socially consious (think KRS 1 and Sound of Da Police) plus it knows how to have fun.
This is just another music scene that I am getting into through punk (I know htta sounds wierd) in a sort of solidarity. Trying to back up the "real live mcs" and all. Anyway, what do you guys think? Booty shaking: Oui or Non?

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose.
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~kljense3/MrTvs.html

I like to shake my booty.

But not to rap music.

Dance house techno yeahhhhhhh now thats where its at.

dancingsicy.gif

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Photo Albums

While I support social consciousness, I don't have any need to back up an "MC" because I don't care to hear someone "keep it real" and talk about their neighborhood, their Dubs, their ho's and their ice.
(I say this as someone who has been listening to hip-hop for 20 years, and can "give knowledge" on it with the best of them). I give Jurassic5 credit for their art - and I enjoy their energy, along with Tribe and the Roots.

Spending time with the hedonistic, sexist and unsophisticated elements of hip-hop music is a waste of time for me, because I choose to support social and racial consciousness in my everyday life by volunteering with disadvantaged youth and donating clothing and my time. I support hip-hop artists like OutKast because I feel they are truly innovative. What I find weird though, is hearing "white girls" talking with a dialect foreign to them due to the music they are "keeping it real" to.

If in the case where I am inclined to "shake dat ass" it isn't to Mystikal or Jay-Z, it's to trip-hop like Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead and Gorillaz. I also enjoy dancing to industrial, Depeche Mode and 80s music as well.

Originally posted by notiti:
but man you can no more say that all hip hop is about "flashin the cash 2 da hos" then one can say that all rock is about "feeling tha noize."

No, I guess not - but the pervading image of rock-n-roll isnt half as bad as the bad image problem hip-hop artists and their fans encounter.

But with the "feelings tha noize" thing - it really depends on what kind of rock you are talking about, doesn't it? Hip-hop sounds more similar intra-culturally then rock does - rock has too many types to get it confused with another. You can't confuse Pink Floyd with DMB - it just wouldnt happen. However, though - you could, and may confuse Ludacris with Fabulus - and not be worse for the wear.

And, plus, on a sophistication level, I would rather not listen to a genre that has an image of "flashing da cash, throwin away hoes and buyin dubs" over a genre as diverse as rock is - where you can be part of a more bohemian element in rock and not ever get mistaken as a fan of Gwar.

I realize though - to younger music fans, rap and hip-hop really speak to the "live it up" credo that the youth love to embrace. If you are young, more power to you. But just realize that when you get to a point where it is affecting your slang and pronunciation of language - you could possibly be taking the "big upping an MC" too far.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
While I support social consciousness, I don't have any need to back up an "MC" because I don't care to hear someone "keep it real" and talk about their neighborhood, their Dubs, their ho's and their ice.
(I say this as someone who has been listening to hip-hop for 20 years, and can "give knowledge" on it with the best of them). I give Jurassic5 credit for their art - and I enjoy their energy, along with Tribe and the Roots.

Spending time with the hedonistic, sexist and unsophisticated elements of hip-hop music is a waste of time for me, because I choose to support social and racial consciousness in my everyday life by volunteering with disadvantaged youth and donating clothing and my time. I support hip-hop artists like OutKast because I feel they are truly innovative. What I find weird though, is hearing "white girls" talking with a dialect foreign to them due to the music they are "keeping it real" to.

If in the case where I am inclined to "shake dat ass" it isn't to Mystikal or Jay-Z, it's to trip-hop like Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead and Gorillaz. I also enjoy dancing to industrial, Depeche Mode and 80s music as well.

I agree with you that the majority of mainstream hip hop is pretty degrading and can be really offensive, but man you can no more say that all hip hop is about "flashin the cash 2 da hos" then one can say that all rock is about "feeling tha noize."
Although i am gonna have to give you a massive back up on the trip hop thing. Tricky is one of my all time favorites, and well I don't need to say more about the Gorillaz then I already do. OK i lied, yeah I do.

GORILLAZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose.
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~kljense3/MrTvs.html

Back
Top Bottom