Question for teachers and/or high achievers - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2003, 01:02 AM   #16
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 01:20 PM
I'm a little late in doing so but I really want to thank everyone for the great advice and suggestions...

I still don't know what I'm going to do with him..we're choosing his classes for next year and he's insisting he can handle biology and geometry when he's barely passing algebra 1 and life science this year. He says he needs more of a challenge but I'm afraid he might be setting himself up for failure. Maybe I'm underestimating him and should let him try

And thank you Dana for reminding me that losing his friend might have something to do with this...I just assumed that because he says he's alright and is dealing with it okay that it wasn't affecting him. That is really something I need to talk to him about.

He's not doing drugs or drinking and all of his friends are the same ones he's had since he was 6...and they are all high achievers... so I've ruled those factors out.

kids make me

Old 03-30-2003, 12:08 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:20 PM
Let him do biology and geometry if he wants to. Tell him heŽll have to learn hard for that, that his choices affect his future, and that you trust him because he is brilliant and that you are sure he can make it if he really wants to.

Old 03-30-2003, 12:26 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:20 PM
your son needs to fail. he needs to go away to school, realize that he can't just coast through the course work and pass the tests anymore, and fail in order to see the light. i was the same way. 1200 sat, c average. i didn't care because i could just sit in the back of the class, not do any of the homework, and then pass all the tests and papers with a's and b's. it wasn't until i got to college and had a really shitty semester that i snapped out of this and started becoming a little more motivated. sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can see the top of the mountain.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:39 PM   #19
Refugee

Location: Belmont Shore, CA (I prefer flying a kite at the beach, really.)
Local Time: 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
I'm a little late in doing so but I really want to thank everyone for the great advice and suggestions...

I still don't know what I'm going to do with him..we're choosing his classes for next year and he's insisting he can handle biology and geometry when he's barely passing algebra 1 and life science this year. He says he needs more of a challenge but I'm afraid he might be setting himself up for failure. Maybe I'm underestimating him and should let him try

And thank you Dana for reminding me that losing his friend might have something to do with this...I just assumed that because he says he's alright and is dealing with it okay that it wasn't affecting him. That is really something I need to talk to him about.

He's not doing drugs or drinking and all of his friends are the same ones he's had since he was 6...and they are all high achievers... so I've ruled those factors out.

kids make me
You're welcome, Charlene.... I know that it's a painful subject and not one that will be easy to bring up to him and discuss. Like you said, he'll probably give the typical "no, really, I'm OK" response. I've never lost a friend, so I really can't say I relate to what he's going through. I think losing a friend is very different from losing a loved relative - friends are the relatives you can choose. Good luck with all this and you can PM me anytime.

Moonie
Old 03-31-2003, 11:16 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:20 PM
maybe he just needs a good influence - like a cute midwestern girlfriend? :p

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Let him do biology and geometry if he wants to. Tell him heŽll have to learn hard for that, that his choices affect his future, and that you trust him because he is brilliant and that you are sure he can make it if he really wants to.

exactly.