Question for Sherlock Holmes fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
I would be so happy if there were a few here besides me...

Who do you prefer, Basil Rathbone or Jeremy Brett? (If you have no idea what I'm talking about you do not belong in this thread!!)

I have always preferred Jeremy Brett--his performance is so much more advanced--he has the emotion, the rudeness, the energy, the languidness, the humour, all the things that Holmes needs. I was quite disappointed the first time I saw Rathbone, since I'd heard how amazing he was. It was another time (the 40's) and the style of acting was different then, I guess, but he seems so one dimensional. He does look amazingly right for the part, though. But the movies he appeared in as Holmes are pretty bad!

Thoughts?

------------------
Love is the heartbeat of the universe

Sherlock Holms is very popular in Russia , cause we have a brilliant , super cycle of films from the first tale to the last , these films are super , so my choice is Vasily Livanov , i like sir Conan Doyle books
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
Sherlock Holms is very popular in Russia , cause we have a brilliant , super cycle of films from the first tale to the last , these films are super , so my choice is Vasily Livanov , i like sir Conan Doyle books
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Well, the books are the best, of course...I would love to see Vasily Livanov! I've heard of him and I heard he was very good. I have a feeling though I'm never going to see him in North America.

I think in next 2-3 years , it will be released on DVD ( ofcourse at first in europe , than in USA ( limited edition for russian shops + a few for HMV etc.. with NTSC version , with english subtles , that will be awesome ) . He was born to play this role , cause his voice , movements , everything is 100% real . It was his only famous role .

I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes - on the books. Therefore I don't think I can answer your question...
tongue.gif

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
what are the names of films with him , i mean can rent it inBlockbuster or only have to buy it???

Blockbuster might have some of them, if not then try around to different video places, someone will have something, I'm pretty sure. The names of the shows are just the names of Holmes stories, ie. A Scandal in Bohemia, The Speckled Band, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Sign of Four, The Devil's Foot, etc. etc. They came out in series with names like The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and THe Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. In some of the shows Watson is played by David Burke, in the later ones by Edward Hardwicke. They're both great! The company that did the shows is called Granada. They also did Coronation St, their best known show (I've never watched it!)

Good luck finding them, I hope you do!

------------------

I hope i'll do , at first i read it on russian ( all the stories , tales etc.. ) , a year ago i bought it in Boston ( on english of course ) , i re-descovered it , it's so brilliant and interesting , thanks for info , Scatteroflight !!
smile.gif
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by IvanClaytonJnr (edited 10-17-2001).]

Originally posted by christiana:
I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes - on the books. Therefore I don't think I can answer your question...
tongue.gif

Jeremy Brett LIVES the character in the books, so check him out if you get the chance!!

------------------

Back
Top Bottom