Question for guitar players

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
My parents are buying a guitar for me this Christmas, but I'm discouraged by my short fingers. Any of you guitar players out there have a similar problem? I know I can learn, but will it be that much harder?

Hooray for you taking up the guitar!

Don't be discouraged by your short fingers. I have small stubby hands and I play a few instruments, including the guitar even though I never pursued it enough. Since you are starting out, it will most likely be a challenge and your hands (mainly your left) will get sore. But no pain, no gain, right?
wink.gif

There are guitars out there that have different size necks. A shorter neck may be ideal for you and might make it easier to learn on.

All in all though, don't worry about your small fingers. When there's a will, there's a way. My husband's step dad is a professional guitarist and his hands are on the small side (his hands are as small as mine) He's an excellent and skilled guitarist despite his, er, shortcomings. So don't you worry 'bout a thing. Keep at it, and you'll be fine.
smile.gif

sorry mate I dont know any guitarists who have short fingers, but I do know that guitar playing makes your finger muscles more flexible?

foray

They do make guitars with shorter necks, where the frets are closer together, my friend has one. But overall, if you practice, your fingers will become more flexible. Trust me. I got the tiniest hands in the world for a bassist.
wink.gif

------------------
it's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on

SlipStream Soul

Yeah, don't let short fingers discourage you. I have long fingers and I would say that it is a slight advantage when learning the guitar (I've played for about 17 years now) but it's not that big a deal.

If you find that you love playing then short fingers will quickly become a non-issue. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom