Question for all the lovely Interferencers from Canadia....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
I've always wondered........

Why do contest rules for Canadians almost always include a line to the effect of:

The entrant selected for the grand prize will be required to correctly answer a time-limited skill-testing question before being declared the grand prize winner.

What's the point? Has anyone had to do this? Are the questions really easy or super hard? I just don't get it :scratch:

Because it's illegal in Canada to just give money or prizes away. You have to do something for it, not just send in a postcard with your name. So the skill testing question is just a technicality.

Canadia? :lol: :hug:

yep, that's why, Canada has some very complex rules for contests, I work for a newspaper and when we put on contests for readers, we have to run all info etc past our lawyer before we proceed or we could be sued, if you don't include a skill testing question, it's like gambling, which in Canada has it's own wacky regulations as well.

Yep, usually 5(6x3)-2 or something to that effect...sometimes they are very simple. And they will keep waiting for you to get the right answer! lol! The good thing about our lotteries though (and I don't think you need to answer anything there) is that the $$ is tax free!

I'm not from Canada, so feel free to send me money without bothering about the skill testing...

Here's what Canada's Criminal Code says about contests:
Section 206 (1) (a) to (f) of the Criminal Code of Canada

Every one is guilty of an indictable offense and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years who

(a)makes, prints, advertises or publishes or causes or procures to be made, printed, advertised or published, any proposal, scheme or plan for advancing, lending, giving, selling or otherwise disposing of any property by lot, cards, tickets, or any mode of chance whatever;
(b) barters, exchanges or otherwise disposes of, or causes or procures, or aids or assists in, the sale, barter, exchange, or other disposal of, or offers for sale, barter or exchange, any lot, card, ticket, or other means or device for advancing, lending, giving, selling or otherwise disposing of any property by lots, tickets or any mode of chance whatever;
(c) knowingly sends, transmits, mails, ships, delivers or allows to be sent, transmitted, mailed, shipped or delivered, or knowingly accepts for carriage or transport or conveys any article that is used or intended for use in carrying out any device, proposal, scheme or plan for advancing, lending, giving, selling or otherwise disposing of any property by any mode of chance whatever
(d) conducts or manages any scheme, contrivance or operation of any kind for the purpose of determining who, or the holders of what lots, tickets, numbers or chances, are the winners of any property so proposed to be advanced, loaned, given, sold or disposed of
(e) conducts, manages or is a party to any scheme, contrivance or operation of any kind by which any person on payment of any sum of money, or the giving of any kind of valuable security, or by obligating himself to pay any sum of money or given any valuable security, shall become entitled under the scheme, contrivance, or operation to receive from the person conducting or managing the scheme, contrivance or operation, or any other person, a larger sum of money or amount given, by reason of the fact that other persons have paid or given, or obligated themselves to pay or give any sum of money or valuable security under the scheme contrivance or operation
(f) disposes of any good, wares or merchandise by any game of chance or any game of mixed chance and skill in which the contestant or competitor pays money or other valuable consideration;

It goes on and on, but more on this point:

Section 74.06(1) of the Competition Act
74.06(1) A person engages in reviewable conduct who, for the purposes of promoting, directly or indirectly, in the supply or use of a product, or for the purpose of promoting, directly or indirectly, any business interest conducts any contest, lottery, game of chance or skill, or mixed chance and skill, or otherwise disposes of any product or other benefit by any mode of chance, skill or mixed chance and skill whatever, where
(a) adequate and fair disclosure is not made of the number and approximate value of the prizes, of the area or areas to which they relate and or any fact within the knowledge of the person that affects materially the chances of winning
(b) distribution of the prizes is unduly delayed or
(c) selection of participants or distribution of prizes is not made on the basis of skill or on a random basis in any area to which prizes have been allocated.

So there!
:tongue: :sexywink:
My fingers hurt

I don't know why either, that's the funniest part, all that wording and I still have no clue as to what it means or why it's a law, that's Canada for you!

Back
Top Bottom