Question about website design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Okay, let me preface my question with this information: I am not an internet genius. I am lame because I use pagebuilder to construct my website. I know this, so please don't point it out to me.

Now here's my question: Why do netscape and explorer show pages differently? I added U2 news to my site in javascript, and now it won't work right in netscape. This irks me, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about it.

If you have advice, please be kind. I started doing my website for fun and I'm not a web genius, so please excuse my ignorance!

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Now here's my question: Why do netscape and explorer show pages differently? I added U2 news to my site in javascript, and now it won't work right in netscape. This irks me, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about it.

IE and Netscape don't use the offical HTML standard, but rather some odd perversion of it that is unique to each browser. Which means you have to either pick on browser to target, carefully use code that is compliant across each browser, or create a script that autodetects the browser and points it to a compatible version of your website. Which means you have to create two versions of everything.

My suggestion would be to forgo the Javascript until you learn how it works, and how to modify it. Or just deal with the fact that a percentage of users will avoid your site.

[This message has been edited by DoctorGonzo (edited 01-31-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom