Question about NHL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Recently I've started to get in to the NHL. I've started following the San Jose Sharks (Don't know why though, considering I'm from Ireland and have no links with San Jose at all). However there are a few things about the NHL that don't make sense to me.

I've looked at the structure for the regular season and have noticed that each team has to play 82 games!!!If a team was to go through the Playoff's and win the Stanley Cup, the could play an extra potentail 28 games, bringing the total of possible competitive games to 110. Add to this pre-season games plus whatever other games these players have to play. This adds up to a hell of a lot of games. I've noticed from the Sharks schedule that they play a game on average every 2 days. How is this possible?? I don't understand how players can do this taking into account that they have to travel to opposite ends of the country. Would they not suffer from Jetlag? Would players not suffer from fatigue from playing so many games. Ice-hockey is a gruelling sport which would surely cause even the greatest players to get tired. In addition to this, with the players playing all the time, do the get to do anything else in their lives, such as spend time with their families, go out on the beer with friends etc. When do players get time to train?

These are just a few things that have confused me a little. No sport over this side of the Atlantic has such a gruelling schedule. I was hoping that someone could clear this up for me. Thanks.

Teams generally play 2-3 games a week. I'd assume that being professional atheletes they are conditioned enough to handle the schedule. And if you'll notice, they switch lines quite frequently. Sometimes guys will only play a minute at a time, and five minutes is a real long shift, so they get time to rest.

They practice on their off days. And I think a good number are married with families, so they get a couple of months off to spend with them. And half those games are home games.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i have a question about the NHL... how is mike mulberry been the GM of the Islanders for 11 years, made 9 coaching changes, never won a playoff series, and he still has a job?

He's also made the following lopsided(Though not in the Isles favour) trades:

2/6/98: Isles trade RW and former 1st rounder Todd Bertuzzi, D Bryan McCabe, and a future 3rd rounder (Nucks drafted RW Jarko Ruutu) to VAN for C Trevor Linden.

6/24/00: Isles trade G Roberto Luongo and C Olli Jokkinen to FLA for C Oleg Kvasha and RW Mark Parrish.

6/23/01: Isles trade D Zdeno Chara, winger Bill Muckalt, and a future #1 (Sens drafted C Jason Spezza) to OTT for RW Alexei Yashin.

My guess is he has some very incriminating pictures of the owners

it's great... we've got two of the three worst GMs in professional sports in new york with this douche bag and isiah thomas with the knicks. all we need is to go recruit matt millen and we'll complete the set.

Are the Giants willing to give the Lions a second-round pick in exchange?

it's great... we've got two of the three worst GMs in professional sports in new york with this douche bag and isiah thomas with the knicks. all we need is to go recruit matt millen and we'll complete the set.

You need to start your own version of the Millen Man March.

so i had to listen to gary bettman on mike and the mad dog last night talk about how the NHL is doing soooo well in it's return and they aren't worried about a thing...

ok...

and then i open up today's newsday and they have some TV ratings from last saturday night posted.

the ratings in the New York metro area...
New England Patriots vs. Jacksonville Jaguars- 14.7
Penn vs. Princeton women's college basketball- 0.14
Islanders vs. Hurricaines - 0.04
Devils vs. Sabres - 0.04

while an NFL playoff game is expected to beat up on a regular season NHL game in the ratings... i would think the NHL might be a tad worried that an ivy league women's college basketball game had more viewers than the islanders and devils games COMBINED.

No such problems in Canada-Last weekend the CBC had 12 straight hours of Hockey broadcasts, and 3 straight games for "Hockey day in Canada"

Of course if not for hockey we'd likely have hours and hours of Curling on TV.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

or "Six pin mini bowling night in Canada" like they had last year during the strike.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

Curling. :laugh:

"HURRY! HURRY HAAARRRRRD!!!"

so i had to listen to gary bettman on mike and the mad dog last night talk about how the NHL is doing soooo well in it's return and they aren't worried about a thing...

ok...

and then i open up today's newsday and they have some TV ratings from last saturday night posted.

the ratings in the New York metro area...
New England Patriots vs. Jacksonville Jaguars- 14.7
Penn vs. Princeton women's college basketball- 0.14
Islanders vs. Hurricaines - 0.04
Devils vs. Sabres - 0.04

while an NFL playoff game is expected to beat up on a regular season NHL game in the ratings... i would think the NHL might be a tad worried that an ivy league women's college basketball game had more viewers than the islanders and devils games COMBINED.

Perhaps he wasn't talking about the t.v. ratings in the U.S.?

I read an article last week that said the arenas are setting attendance records this season. Perhaps he was referring to that?

The Islanders have the lowest average attendance of any team in the NHL. :sad:

But after watching them get their asses handed to them on Saturday, I can't really say I'm surprised. The ice girls get bigger cheers than the players. And rightly so.

Back
Top Bottom